BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 02-04-2010, 11:08 PM
WaiverWire

Default A Look Back at OK and LB

Seems we are going to soon see our 5th owner. At the game tonight i was sitting there thinking what did these two do wrong that ended with their ownership in a mess.

I think one mistake was OK paying LB's way, when LB did not have the funds. They came into town making some big moves the first few days after taking over. The made a few good moves and they made many bad ones. The biggest mistake I feel they made was bringing Melrose. The guy did not have a clue and he set the team back in ways that they could not over come during the first year of ownership.

I do hate to see them go. I believe they had good intentions, but a bad economy and the mistakes they made killed them.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Chainsaw Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
Seems we are going to soon see our 5th owner. At the game tonight i was sitting there thinking what did these two do wrong that ended with their ownership in a mess.

I think one mistake was OK paying LB's way, when LB did not have the funds. They came into town making some big moves the first few days after taking over. The made a few good moves and they made many bad ones. The biggest mistake I feel they made was bringing Melrose. The guy did not have a clue and he set the team back in ways that they could not over come during the first year of ownership.

I do hate to see them go. I believe they had good intentions, but a bad economy and the mistakes they made killed them.
We know where those lead you.30th & 29th, and who know where this season ends up.

Goodbye to bad owners. I called them Bullshit from day one,They never proved me wrong. for every step they took forward,they took 4 back.

for all whe drank the Koule-aid,,,,Oh well. you will get over it.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Boy I couldn't disagree more WW.

What did they do wrong? You had two egomaniacs that were total freeking idiots.

The two of them were taking this franchise on the highway to hell. They may have had good intentions, but they had no idea how to run a hockey team. The only thing that saved this franchise from total distruction was the split that took both of them out of the day to day management of the team and allowed Lawton to salvage the disaster that they were making. Thank God, neither one was able to buy out the other or the circus would have started all over again.

Remember, while they owned the team for 2 years, they only really ran the team for 1 year. And what a year it with them giving away Dan Boyle, trading players like they were building a fantasy team, Melrose, I could go on and on.

There are two heroes in this story. Lawton, who put up with the lunacy for an entire year before being rewarded by actually being allowed to be the general manager of the team and, cover your eyes, Bettman who put Lawton in charge and kept the two little jerks from ruining the team.

Last edited by Donnie D; 02-04-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
I think one mistake was OK paying LB's way, when LB did not have the funds.
Never been proven. Until I hear the real story on this, I don't buy it. He would not have been brought in if he contributed nothing.
Quote:
The biggest mistake I feel they made was bringing Melrose. The guy did not have a clue and he set the team back in ways that they could not over come during the first year of ownership.
That was a doozy, a huge waste of time (and money) and I agree it set them back. Last year was a complete waste. Not sure if it's the biggest but it's definitely up there.

Quote:
I believe they had good intentions, but a bad economy and the mistakes they made killed them.
They had terrible luck/timing. I've gotten the impression that PS&E had made things look a lot better than they actually were so these guys just were in over their heads before they began. I think the economy forced them into financing they couldn't sustain, and they made some bad moves which sunk the team & killed attendance. They probably wish they'd quit when their financing first fell through, all they got out of this venture is lighter pockets and I do feel bad for them a little.

If one or both of them starts to talk, we could find out all kinds of interesting things, but I'd bet that the payback for the League helping them get out is their silence.

Whoever was championing them over PS&E needs to eat some crow.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:58 AM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Send a message via AIM to Sean

Funny I haven't seen Netminder around until someone had something positive to say about OK/LB.

I like OK from the start. Wasn't a fan at all of LB.

At this point I don't care who's running the team as long as they do it quietly and stick around for awhile. They'll get my support until they do something to not deserve it, just like the last group.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
And what a year it with them giving away Dan Boyle, trading players like they were building a fantasy team, Melrose, I could go on and on.
I hated seeing Boyle go, and still wish he could be around on the team.

But we're witnessing the rise of Steve Downie, who is only 22 years old. Their positions aside, Downie could very well make us forget about Boyle in time...

But hind-sight is 20/20 and future-sight is best left for bloggers and late-night TV scams. Right now it's looking better, but it was still a moronic trade given the situation at the time
Old 02-05-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post

There are two heroes in this story. Lawton, who put up with the lunacy for an entire year before being rewarded by actually being allowed to be the general manager of the team and, cover your eyes, Bettman who put Lawton in charge and kept the two little jerks from ruining the team.
Lehht's not go overboard here...

Old 02-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
*snip*
Welcome back.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:32 AM
WaiverWire

I started the thread for all to throw out their two cents as to management style, refinancing, players etc. Not a bashing of one's thoughts.

Times are very hard in the NHL right now. Now we have the Dallas Stars looking to possibly sell or find a new cash influx.

It was reported that the Lightning will take in $16,000,000 in ticket sales and concessions this season........and a payroll of about $52,000,000. There is still more revenue to come their way but that sure is a large gap.

Would it had been better that they hired a real front office and become hands off owners? Probably.

But I have to admit that after several seasons of having a GM tell us that we are going to be a buyer in the UFA market and then we sit and sit and sit only to sign a player or two that should be in the AHL and then claim "we got the player(s) we targeted", it was kind of fun.....until the games started.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Chris Gratton's Ruby Slippers

Glad to see them go. You could tell just by the terms of the deal when they bought them that this was going to turn out bad. Then they treated the team like a fantasy team.

I really hope that the new owner would just clean out mgt(including Lawton) and start from scratch. Get a proven hockey person to make decisions and start building from there.

IMO the biggest hurdle will be finding new revenue streams.