BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 05-15-2010, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Holland is also only 54, he's not going anywhere and Yzerman knows it. Y HAS to leave if he wants to be a GM, it's just a matter of whether he wants to come here or not. I won't cry either way, that's for sure.

Now, McGuire annoys the hell out of me, but I want to know what indication people have that he'd be a disaster besides the fact that he's irritating. Not seeing any solid reasoning here.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:54 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
Holland is also only 54, he's not going anywhere and Yzerman knows it. Y HAS to leave if he wants to be a GM, it's just a matter of whether he wants to come here or not. I won't cry either way, that's for sure.

Now, McGuire annoys the hell out of me, but I want to know what indication people have that he'd be a disaster besides the fact that he's irritating. Not seeing any solid reasoning here.
A 23-37-7 record as head coach? Plus he was a scout and assistant coach for the Senators while they were atrocious. The only highlight he has to point at is with the Penguins but that was during Lemieux's heyday.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Jay Feaster's Cheeto Encrusted Thumb

Didn't we already try a TV personality as coach with disastrous results? Let's NOT try one as a GM, please?
Old 05-15-2010, 09:14 AM
BP Staff

Paul Fenton would be a good choice, he's worked under Poile in Nashville, who has done relatively well considering their financial constraints. They've missed on a few draft choices, hit on some others, and made some bold moves (Forsberg), but still rely on defense and defensive style play. I think we could do worse *cough* McGuire *cough*.

Fenton said last week he hadn't been in contact with TB. That could obviously change. You'd have to think Fenton would have more cap room to work with in Tampa.

Re: McGuire... and Melrose, to an extent...

There's a mindset when you're in the national media of overdoing storylines and being outlandish with your opinions for the sake of good tv. It's easy to sit behind a mic and say there's no way Tampa Bay can survive with Lecavalier's contract, but to get behind the GM's desk and have to make that decision with every factor being accounted for - that's an entirely different story. I think part of Melrose's problem was he had no idea how difficult and mundane actual real hockey work is now. I think McGuire would be the same way.

Last edited by chad; 05-15-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Puppa Scoopah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
A 23-37-7 record as head coach? Plus he was a scout and assistant coach for the Senators while they were atrocious. The only highlight he has to point at is with the Penguins but that was during Lemieux's heyday.
This.

Plus, if you are to go by his "opinions" on air and surmise that is the kind of hockey team you'd have, that's enough of a reason for me not to want him right there.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

I find it funny that some are in such a hurry to be happy little slaves.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
Re: McGuire... and Melrose, to an extent...

There's a mindset when you're in the national media of overdoing storylines and being outlandish with your opinions for the sake of good tv. It's easy to sit behind a mic and say there's no way Tampa Bay can survive with Lecavalier's contract, but to get behind the GM's desk and have to make that decision with every factor being accounted for - that's an entirely different story. I think part of Melrose's problem was he had no idea how difficult and mundane actual real hockey work is now. I think McGuire would be the same way.
This is the sort of stuff I was looking for, thank you. I was afraid it was all along the lines of "he likes wussy hockey" or "he's annoying".
Old 05-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

McGuire wouldn't be as bad as say an NFL team hiring Mel Kiper Jr. or something...but at the same time, Vinik saw how TV blew up in the clowns' faces, and I don't think he'll go there.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Steve Ludzik's Leisure Suit Vest

Quote:
This is the sort of stuff I was looking for, thank you. I was afraid it was all along the lines of "he likes wussy hockey" or "he's annoying".
In my case, all I come back to with McGuire is the question "What makes him a candidate?" -- even AFTER people state his experience. I don't see it. The hiring-Kipper-JR as GM line only partly works -- if he was heading scouting for an NFL team, I could see the analogy, but Kipper doesn't pretend to be anything more than a draft guru.

But really, Pierre must talk a good game if he's considered a candidate at all... Because his resume is paper thin and leaves him largely unqualified for any high profile position with a hockey team. If he wants to be a scout, or be an assistant, that's one thing... GM? What makes him a candidate? (....lather, rinse, repeat)
Old 05-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
In my case, all I come back to with McGuire is the question "What makes him a candidate?" -- even AFTER people state his experience. I don't see it. The hiring-Kipper-JR as GM line only partly works -- if he was heading scouting for an NFL team, I could see the analogy, but Kipper doesn't pretend to be anything more than a draft guru.
I must've missed something...Kipper?

Quote:
But really, Pierre must talk a good game if he's considered a candidate at all... Because his resume is paper thin and leaves him largely unqualified for any high profile position with a hockey team. If he wants to be a scout, or be an assistant, that's one thing... GM? What makes him a candidate? (....lather, rinse, repeat)
It's not the first GM position he's been up for in the past few years, so there must be something there.

Last edited by Sotnos; 05-16-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
I must've missed something...Kipper?

It's not the first GM position he's been up for in the past few years, so there must be something there.

As for the other stuff, if you all want to talk about Michigan that badly I can move all of this...
I made a comparison to an NFL team hiring Mel Kiper, Jr. As someone pointed out, only partially works.