BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 07-11-2018, 05:11 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Just wait until one of their suggested rules changes is passed...…..you must be a democrat to run under the DNC. In other words they are telling Bernie that he must change from an Independent to Democrat if he wants to run in 2020.

The DNC did everything they could to stop Bernie in 2016 and got caught. Now they will change the rules and force him to register as a Democrat or go 3rd party if he wants to run.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
Just wait until one of their suggested rules changes is passed...…..you must be a democrat to run under the DNC. In other words they are telling Bernie that he must change from an Independent to Democrat if he wants to run in 2020.

The DNC did everything they could to stop Bernie in 2016 and got caught. Now they will change the rules and force him to register as a Democrat or go 3rd party if he wants to run.
Um, no.

The dems lose with Sanders running as a 3rd party.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:59 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Um, no.

That's why he won't do it and has stated he won't do it.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 07-11-2018, 09:25 PM
Alex Kharitonov's Balls

Default A Liberal’s Case for Brett Kavanaugh

'...In 2016, I strongly supported Hillary Clinton for president as well as President Barack Obama’s nominee for the Supreme Court, Judge Merrick Garland. But today, with the exception of the current justices and Judge Garland, it is hard to name anyone with judicial credentials as strong as those of Judge Kavanaugh. He sits on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (the most influential circuit court) and commands wide and deep respect among scholars, lawyers and jurists. ...'

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/09/o...urt-trump.html
"...But the larger point I want to emphasize here is that there is no serious person out there who would suggest somehow that you could even — you could even rig America’s elections, in part, because they are so decentralized and the numbers of votes involved.

There is no evidence that that has happened in the past or that there are instances in which that will happen this time.
..."

Partial text of President Obama's October 18, 2016 Speech
Old 07-12-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Um, no.

One of the rule changes in their meetings that will take place is that unless you are a registered democrat you will not be able to run as a democrat nor seek the democrat nomination.

Donna Brazile has spoken about this several times and has said this would leave Sanders the only choice but to run as an Independent if he does not switch to the Democrat Party.

http://www.newsweek.com/bernie-sande...ew-rule-967928

I am not saying he would run as an Independent. What I am saying is that the DNC may block him from running under the DNC rules.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:25 AM

If the DNC makes that rules change, it'd likely cause Bernie to register as a Democrat even though he's not one. It's not that Bernie moved away from the Democrats, it's that they left their soul in the 90s and left the people they should have been representing wholeheartedly in the 90s as well.

Bernie has been an independent forever, but mainly a social democrat in policy for his entire adult life. The Democratic Party decided to move right with the Clinton Administration.

If Bernie drags the party back to its roots, the big money donors will ditch the party. People like Pelosi and Schumer will lose their "leadership" roles, because let's be honest. What "Leadership" means in D.C. is ability to fundraise, nothing else. Neither of those two people "lead" on anything policy-wise unless they're tasked with it from their oligarchs.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 07-12-2018, 09:44 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
So, not only did Ocasio-Cortez win the NY-14(Queens/Brooklyn) Democratic primary, she apparently won the NY-15(Bronx) primary as well...by write-in on the Reform Line.

Nominate some more pro-corporate crony capitalists though.
Because what works in two minority-majority districts in Queens and Bronx, New York City will TOTALLY work in Scranton, PA and Toledo, OH. There’s no distinction between the electorates in those places, AT ALL.

I’m not saying policy positions don’t matter in elections. They certainly do and they’re a part of the structural backbone of the campaign narrative. But the fact of he matter is most voters are ill-informed and vote based on emotional and cultural lines, and the fact of the matter is Biden has a track record of winning in white, working-class Midwestern areas. Find me a progressive who relates to those voters like Biden, and you’ve got a whale of a candidate. They probably crush Trump in a landslide. Problem is that candidate doesn’t exist because the most prominent progressive candidates we have are a New York City expat from Vermont (Sanders) and a ex-Harvard professor from Boston (Warren).
Old 07-12-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Because what works in two minority-majority districts in Queens and Bronx, New York City will TOTALLY work in Scranton, PA and Toledo, OH. There’s no distinction between the electorates in those places, AT ALL.
This bit reads like every single pundit in the mainstream media(Joy Reid etc).

Ocasio-Cortez won across all demographics in her primary. Whites, Asians, Hispanics. She won a primary she wasn't registered to run in by fucking write-in votes. I'm sure that was mainly because she's a pretty latina though...

Joy Reid's interview with her was sad because of the exact framing you just gave her victory. She immediately frames everything as identity-based. You do the same.

I'd agree with you entirely if this were 2007. A frazzled-looking Jewish grandpa from Vermont with a thick as fuck Brooklyn accent changed the rules far more than you or the establishment want to believe.

I'd add Kaniela Ing as another up and coming Social Dem. There are many others though. As Ocasio-Cortez said, she's one of 60 who are running for office.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:16 AM

Now you got Joe Crowley not removing his name from the Working Family Party line on the ballot after having stated he'd back Ocasio-Cortez completely.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Does he plan on shaving costs on military spending if the other NATO nations scale up?
That was my question as well. I mean, we know it ain't gonna happen, but it seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
Ocasio-Cortez won across all demographics in her primary. Whites, Asians, Hispanics. She won a primary she wasn't registered to run in by fucking write-in votes. I'm sure that was mainly because she's a pretty latina though...
I don't think anyone's saying that, but we're still talking about like 11k people in a liberal area.