BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 07-11-2018, 10:06 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

So, not only did Ocasio-Cortez win the NY-14(Queens/Brooklyn) Democratic primary, she apparently won the NY-15(Bronx) primary as well...by write-in on the Reform Line.

Nominate some more pro-corporate crony capitalists though.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 07-11-2018, 12:09 PM

Default Alan Dershowitz giving advice to Democrats...

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/stat...63139966423041

Will🦕Menaker @willmenaker
2h
It's a testament to the liberal media that a guy who is personal friends with someone who ran a child sex trafficking operation that he was also alleged to have been a part of AND Harvey Weinstein can be invited on the number one women's morning talk show for a nice chat.

LOL.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 07-11-2018, 12:56 PM

Default Marcy Wheeler with some more gold

https://www.emptywheel.net/2018/07/1...the-president/

Quote:
I apologize, but I’m going to be deliberately obscure on this point (and will neither confirm nor deny if I’m asked, as it’s not something I’ve run by the Mueller team). As I have said, I don’t think I was the first person to provide information on the person I went to the FBI about. I’ll add that this person has no discernible tie to Trump or the Republican Party. But I do think I was the first person to provide certain information about him that may have widened the scope of FBI’s understanding of the matter.

Subsequent to my interview with the FBI, I realized certain things about publicly available information. I’ve never shared that realization with the government, but it’s a realization they undoubtedly came to on their own from the same publicly available information.

And that realization I had and the government surely also had would have changed the importance of evidence Mueller received via means unrelated to Peter Strzok.

That evidence likely implicates the President directly.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Hmmmmm

NATO
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/t...185950607.html
Old 07-11-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphockey View Post
Have you ever heard the expression, "He's not wrong, he's just an asshole."?

Never mind that this is just an extension of his xenophobic rantings to drum up his support. It's not like the US doesn't reap huge gains from NATO for their investment.

Did you stop to ask, "Why is it that more and more countries are bringing up their contribution?" "How are they doing this after a global recession that was caused largely by banks in the United States?"

Could be that the guy who managed to save the US from the worst of the Recession handed to him by the GOP was also the one that got NATO member states to up their contributions over time in a painstaking deal that John Kerry outlined today.

Last edited by ZeykShade; 07-11-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:56 PM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
Have you ever heard the expression, "He's not wrong, he's just an asshole."?

Never mind that this is just an extension of his xenophobic rantings to drum up his support. It's not like the US doesn't reap huge gains from NATO for their investment.

Did you stop to ask, "Why is it that more and more countries are bringing up their contribution?" "How are they doing this after a global recession that was caused largely by banks in the United States?"

Could be that the guy who managed to save the US from the worst of the Recession handed to him by the GOP was also the one that got NATO member states to up their contributions over time in a painstaking deal that John Kerry outlined today.
A counter argument to that would be that Obama shouldn't have needed to offer an olive branch if the other countries would have put the requisite skin in the game in the first place.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
A counter argument to that would be that Obama shouldn't have needed to offer an olive branch if the other countries would have put the requisite skin in the game in the first place.
The Counter to the Counter-Argument is: They already have skin in the game as they're not separated by a large ocean from Russia. They also house a boatload of US Troops and support our War on Terrorism in the M.E..
Old 07-11-2018, 02:38 PM
Alex Kharitonov's Balls

Default Liberals attack Brett Kavanaugh for 'frat boy' name

'...“We'll be DAMNED if we're going to let five MEN—including some frat boy named Brett—strip us of our hard-won bodily autonomy and reproductive rights,” the influential pro-choice organization NARAL tweeted Tuesday. ...'

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...-boy-name.html
"...But the larger point I want to emphasize here is that there is no serious person out there who would suggest somehow that you could even — you could even rig America’s elections, in part, because they are so decentralized and the numbers of votes involved.

There is no evidence that that has happened in the past or that there are instances in which that will happen this time.
..."

Partial text of President Obama's October 18, 2016 Speech
Old 07-11-2018, 02:46 PM

Default No to Kavanaugh

https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/1017109768098336768

Quote:
Kavanaugh thinks that #NetNeutrality is against the First Amendment and that NSA metadata surveillance is consistent with the Fourth Amendment. Someone who doesn’t understand tech or the bill of rights shouldn’t be on the Supreme Court. Period.
Yeah, Roe v Wade is important, so is the other stuff.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
The Counter to the Counter-Argument is: They already have skin in the game as they're not separated by a large ocean from Russia. They also house a boatload of US Troops and support our War on Terrorism in the M.E..
One would think not having a pair of oceans insulating them from Russia would be enough of an enticement for them to ante up in their own defense. Particularly after the proxy wars in Korea, Vietnam and Afghanistan. Wasn't there hand wringing about admitting the Ukraine into the EU, because then something would have to be done about Russia's invasion of Crimea? Perhaps other NATO members didn't feel the need to ante up so long as the U.S. was picking up the slack?

Further, the deployment of US troops within Europe kind of works against your argument, in that it is partly a driver of the imbalance in NATO spending. It also helps to drive the problems behind your overarching criticism of the military industrial complex that you have expressed (rightly) in a myriad of other posts.

I think other NATO countries are upping their contributions out of the fear that Trump may just leave them twisting in the wind. Maybe Trump's cozying up to Putin and hammering our allies in NATO is part of a ploy to simultaneously scale back our military commitments to NATO, while encouraging, albeit in a typically assholish ham-fisted way, our allies to increase their own commitments. Then again, maybe I'm giving him too much credit and xenophobia is driving this decision. Who knows with dear leader.

Ultimately, I agree with your paraphrasing of The Dude: Trump's not wrong, he's just an asshole.