BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

If he makes it to camp and isn't traded before then, I'm going to have to guess that this is his make it or break it contract. He either earns a top 9 spot and shows he can play in the NHL regularly or he's gone from the organization. A two way deal IMO makes me wonder if the org really has the confidence that he can make it.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:33 PM
Manon Rheaume Lookalike

I think the 2way is something of a way to protect the team as well as Brett. They get to clear a roster spot if he doesn't stick with the team and it makes another team picking him up easier(of course).

Show or go.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

There's room on roster for Connolly... but there's no way he slips through waivers. The two-way a bit of a surprise; probably makes him easier to trade. But, in the end, doesn't change anything. He's TBL roster or traded. I can't see Yzerman letting him go for no return. Now, his return value may not be high, so he could be this year's Keith Aulie. Hopefully, he's running on the top line with Stammer, though.

That being said... contracts are now at 46 after Samson and Connolly signings today.

Panik would make 47, and there's still Costello and/or Paradis outstanding. There's also the hinted at vet forward for the roster that may or may not still be in Yzerman's plans. Regardless, starting the season with 48 or 49 contracts is too many IMO. Not enough wiggle room for deadline acquisitions, etc.

So... I've been suspicious for a while now that Paradis hasn't signed his QO. A player like that doesn't have many options, and he got his QO is mid-June per BriseBois in the Syracuse newspaper. I think the Samson signing (and maybe the Blunden signing on July 1) are tea leaves from the organization that perhaps Paradis is considering signing in Europe.

They have to Aug 15 to sign Costello or he becomes free agent. Maybe the plan all along was to sign him to an AHL contract for a year as an audition for an ELC. However, his Dev Camp performance might be a good news/bad news for TBL, in the sense that he might have shown he's good enough for a team to take a chance on a ELC with him, and TBL might not have enough contracts slots for that. He might opt for free agency and see if he can get on with BUF or NYI or CAR or FLA. Costello's camp + few contract slots left is not looking good for him sticking with the organization IMO.

Finally.... not to be an alarmist and this is pure speculation, but I've also been suspicious that Panik is not under contract yet either. IMO the way I've read the new contracts since the offseason, is that Yzerman had a priority in place -- first with the important one-way contracts to the prospects, and Panik and Connolly were not part of that (TJ, Palat, Killorn, Brown, Sustr). Now the two-ways have come, and I believe TBL's offer to Panik is a two-way (like Connolly) and not a one-way, and that is a sticking point and why Panik remains unsigned. AGAIN THIS IS PURE SPECULATION ON MY PART. Just reading the leaves as I see 'em. I'm beginning to wonder if Panik might be considering returning home to Europe with a much better contract and a much better more important role, than sign a two-way with TBL. Now, like Connolly, there's no way Panik makes it past waivers, and he's not exempt. But, I think this situation is worth monitoring.

Again, there is room on roster for both Panik and Connolly, but hard to pencil them in for Top-9 roles.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Old-Skool Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
There's room on roster for Connolly... but there's no way he slips through waivers. The two-way a bit of a surprise; probably makes him easier to trade. But, in the end, doesn't change anything. He's TBL roster or traded. I can't see Yzerman letting him go for no return. Now, his return value may not be high, so he could be this year's Keith Aulie. Hopefully, he's running on the top line with Stammer, though.

That being said... contracts are now at 46 after Samson and Connolly signings today.

Panik would make 47, and there's still Costello and/or Paradis outstanding. There's also the hinted at vet forward for the roster that may or may not still be in Yzerman's plans. Regardless, starting the season with 48 or 49 contracts is too many IMO. Not enough wiggle room for deadline acquisitions, etc.

So... I've been suspicious for a while now that Paradis hasn't signed his QO. A player like that doesn't have many options, and he got his QO is mid-June per BriseBois in the Syracuse newspaper. I think the Samson signing (and maybe the Blunden signing on July 1) are tea leaves from the organization that perhaps Paradis is considering signing in Europe.

They have to Aug 15 to sign Costello or he becomes free agent. Maybe the plan all along was to sign him to an AHL contract for a year as an audition for an ELC. However, his Dev Camp performance might be a good news/bad news for TBL, in the sense that he might have shown he's good enough for a team to take a chance on a ELC with him, and TBL might not have enough contracts slots for that. He might opt for free agency and see if he can get on with BUF or NYI or CAR or FLA. Costello's camp + few contract slots left is not looking good for him sticking with the organization IMO.

Finally.... not to be an alarmist and this is pure speculation, but I've also been suspicious that Panik is not under contract yet either. IMO the way I've read the new contracts since the offseason, is that Yzerman had a priority in place -- first with the important one-way contracts to the prospects, and Panik and Connolly were not part of that (TJ, Palat, Killorn, Brown, Sustr). Now the two-ways have come, and I believe TBL's offer to Panik is a two-way (like Connolly) and not a one-way, and that is a sticking point and why Panik remains unsigned. AGAIN THIS IS PURE SPECULATION ON MY PART. Just reading the leaves as I see 'em. I'm beginning to wonder if Panik might be considering returning home to Europe with a much better contract and a much better more important role, than sign a two-way with TBL. Now, like Connolly, there's no way Panik makes it past waivers, and he's not exempt. But, I think this situation is worth monitoring.

Again, there is room on roster for both Panik and Connolly, but hard to pencil them in for Top-9 roles.
To add some (meaningless) fuel to your speculation, Yzerman's had a thing for handing out double-contracts this offseason. Barberio & Sustr's twin deals. Palat & TJ's twin deals. Perhaps Panik was given an identical offer to Connolly?
Old 07-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Panik can at least play a fourth line role, would be disappointing to see him not be on the team come the start of the season. I love his play style and really hope he sticks
Old 07-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Petr Klima's Illegally Curved Stick

The #TBLightning have signed free agent forward Brenden Morrow

Old 07-11-2014, 09:25 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Default Morrow

Morrow gets a 1yr. 1.55 mil contract. Well that may mean the end of the BC era with the Bolts. Talk about putting some people on notice. Very interesting happenings here. Now I wonder what is next on the agenda?
Old 07-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapbolt View Post
Morrow gets a 1yr. 1.55 mil contract. Well that may mean the end of the BC era with the Bolts. Talk about putting some people on notice. Very interesting happenings here. Now I wonder what is next on the agenda?
Or Richard Panik... something tells me he's balking on a two-way contract offer and has better opportunities in Europe
Old 07-11-2014, 09:35 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Default Yep

Agreed Tim, both Panik and BC need to be worried right now. Although they may have spots if Kucherov is sent back to SYR.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I don't think that spells the end of Connolly, we have to carry 23 and Kucherov can be sent to Syracuse.

Palat-Stamkos-Killorn
Filppula-TJ-Callahan
Connolly-Drouin-Kucherov
(Morrow/Brown/Panik/Boyle)

Hedman-Stralman
Carle-Garrison
Brewer-Gudas
(Sustr/Barbario)

Bishop
Nabakov

That makes 23
Closed Thread