BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 06-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Steve Ludzik's Leisure Suit Vest

I very happy with the deal and think the Bolts will benefit greatly having him on the roster for the next several years. He brings a game with grit that this team desperately - desperately - desperately needs more of. Couple years too long? Probably, but I'll hope at the end of year 4 we are all glad we still have him for another 2. My crystal ball doesn't work so well anymore so I'll take the high road and remain optimistic we get a solid 6 out of him (or a sweet trade deal after 4). Now we need SFY to go out and pull off some superhuman type blue line deal.....
Old 06-25-2014, 09:21 PM
Steve Downie's Kisses

I was speaking to a Sabres fan at work who realllllllly wanted Callahan to take the Western New York discount and go to Buffalo so his nearby Rochester fans would flock to the First Niagara Center, and thinks the Lightning got a steal in the deal. We shall see, but like Tim said, everyone else is loving the SFY mindtricks on Sather and locking up Cally, it's us here who are worrying about term and $$$. Espo on Sirius XM said today he expects the cap to be $75M by 2016, and guys like Subban, Toews and Sharp will get $9.5-11M per. As long as revenue keeps going up, and we don't make any stupid deals, we should be able to fit everyone in.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:28 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutznboltz View Post
We shall see, but like Tim said, everyone else is loving the SFY mindtricks on Sather and locking up Cally, it's us here who are worrying about term and $$$.
Because we've been smoked like turkeys in both areas before...

Someone with their thinking "cap" on, please enlighten us regular fans as to why he merits six years but Steven Stamkos only five--especially with the age (and scoring) difference. I suspect that most amateur analysts here--who I'd bet have more collective hours of research and writing about this than any site on the web with paid analysts--would take the position that he shouldn't have gotten six
That sheep outnumber people in Australia is especially true today: Two more people have lost their lives to the official Guns for Criminals Only program--everyone in the cafe baaing obediently to the bad guy--except the defenseless owner, who died trying to defeat him. One good guy packing heat ends it in seconds, yet Australia today after a daylong nightmare is grappling with five very simple yet inexplicably difficult words (for them) to understand:

Criminals vastly prefer unarmed prey.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:05 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post

Someone with their thinking "cap" on, please enlighten us regular fans as to why he merits six years but Steven Stamkos only five--especially with the age (and scoring) difference. I suspect that most amateur analysts here--who I'd bet have more collective hours of research and writing about this than any site on the web with paid analysts--would take the position that he shouldn't have gotten six
Maybe Steven only ask for 5 years or wanted to hit being a UFA sooner, Callahan is already there.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Someone with their thinking "cap" on, please enlighten us regular fans as to why he merits six years but Steven Stamkos only five--especially with the age (and scoring) difference.
Apples and oranges. Stamkos is young and still on the rise. He doesn't want to sign a long deal.

Last edited by Sotnos; 06-26-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Cost of buying out UFA years. It's a compromise in negotiating deals with players of that age. You are asking them to give years of UFA status, and there's a cost to that. At some point, you have to reduce the term to keep the bridge contract price reasonable.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:23 AM

Makes sense, I had guessed age and intercepting free agency as the main reasons, thx
That sheep outnumber people in Australia is especially true today: Two more people have lost their lives to the official Guns for Criminals Only program--everyone in the cafe baaing obediently to the bad guy--except the defenseless owner, who died trying to defeat him. One good guy packing heat ends it in seconds, yet Australia today after a daylong nightmare is grappling with five very simple yet inexplicably difficult words (for them) to understand:

Old 06-27-2014, 09:48 AM
Phil Esposito's Soninlawov

Quote:

UFA vs RFA first and foremost. Also the respective ages of both players when they signed. Honestly speaking the RFA vs UFA factor means the 2 deals aren't comparable
Old 06-27-2014, 09:57 AM

Just what I figured. Apparently Yzerman and the pro scouts see in Callahan what most of us do not, in terms of his longevity and potential ability to produce a Cup, making that deal sensible to them. I still feel like it'll probably Suarez us in the butt in a few years, so we'll see

Old 06-27-2014, 01:04 PM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Quote:
Just what I figured. Apparently Yzerman and the pro scouts see in Callahan what most of us do not, in terms of his longevity and potential ability to produce a Cup, making that deal sensible to them. I still feel like it'll probably Suarez us in the butt in a few years, so we'll see
^ I see what you did there