BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

Quote:
Originally Posted by uf1910 View Post
And I would love to hear an NHL explanation on how...
But as we know, the NHL explains NOTHING!!!!
Old 05-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Default Irving

Any comments on Aaron Irving of the Edmonton oil Kings? I saw a mock that had us taking him rather than McKeown.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:29 AM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapbolt View Post
Any comments on Aaron Irving of the Edmonton oil Kings? I saw a mock that had us taking him rather than McKeown.
It would be a stretch to take him in the first round IMO but he is physical, can drop the gloves and clear the crease, and he's a righty. 30 points in your first season in the WHL as a defenseman is pretty good so I'd be interested but maybe more of a 2nd round pick or a later first if we end up with New York's first rounder
Old 05-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Swedish Battle Tank

Alot of people are down on the depth of this draft, but if there was ever a chance to stock up on righty defensemen, this could be the year. All of these guys are ranked as potential 2nd or 3rd rounders:

Jack Dougherty
Jack Glover
Aaron Irving
Dyson Mayo
Joshua Jacobs
Ben Thomas
Jacob Middleton
Aaron Haydon
Julius Bergman
Cody Donaghey

Then there are the lefties:
Travis Sanheim
Alexis Vanier
Alex Peters
Brycen Martin
Adam Ollas Mattson
Andreas Englund

If we end up with the Rangers 18th overall pick, I would love to see Yzerman trade down with our 22nd pick and pick up a 2nd rounder. Could potentially end up with 2 of these kids that way with the potential to land Mckeown with the late 1st pick.

Last edited by Goboltz56; 05-04-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:36 PM
The Constrictor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goboltz56 View Post
Alot of people are down on the depth of this draft, but if there was ever a chance to stock up on righty defensemen, this could be the year. All of these guys are ranked as potential 2nd or 3rd rounders:

Jack Dougherty
Jack Glover
Aaron Irving
Dyson Mayo
Joshua Jacobs
Ben Thomas
Jacob Middleton
Aaron Haydon
Julius Bergman
Cody Donaghey

Then there are the lefties:
Travis Sanheim
Alexis Vanier
Alex Peters
Brycen Martin
Adam Ollas Mattson
Andreas Englund

If we end up with the Rangers 18th overall pick, I would love to see Yzerman trade down with our 22nd pick and pick up a 2nd rounder. Could potentially end up with 2 of these kids that way with the potential to land Mckeown with the late 1st pick.
The issue is that with Yzerman's approach to development most of these guys would be some 3-4+ years away from impacting the big club. I'd give Derek28's left nut to give one of these 1sts, Purcell (retain some $ if needed) and some mid level prospect to move up and get Ekblad. He'd be on a Hedman time frame but he'd be more physical from day one and 3 years down the road we'd have a Heddy, Ekblad and Koekkoek all still young studs.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Swedish Battle Tank

An 18-22 pick, purcell and a mid level prospect for a top 2 pick?? Highly unlikely

Yzerman is of the mindset that more assets = better, so giving up multiple assets just to move up in the draft is unlike him. However, trading some of these 1sts in a package for a top 4 d-man could be realistic.

Last edited by Goboltz56; 05-04-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow01 View Post
The issue is that with Yzerman's approach to development most of these guys would be some 3-4+ years away from impacting the big club. I'd give Derek28's left nut to give one of these 1sts, Purcell (retain some $ if needed) and some mid level prospect to move up and get Ekblad. He'd be on a Hedman time frame but he'd be more physical from day one and 3 years down the road we'd have a Heddy, Ekblad and Koekkoek all still young studs.
Haha that is terrible value for Florida. I'm not opposed to doing something crazy to get Ekblad, but like you said, these prospects are all 3-4 years away. Even Ekblad isn't going to have an immediate impact, provided he makes the club and isn't sent back to juniors. What Jones did this year is about the best you can expect out of an 18 year old, and he's better than Ekblad.

Team is trying to compete now though. Hopefully Yzerman can acquire a guy who can make a major impact next season from the right side.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
That isn't weird at all....
Old 05-04-2014, 07:50 PM
The Constrictor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
That isn't weird at all....
I was typing "my" and just couldn't do it. Too personally painful so I offered you up. You understand right?
Old 05-04-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I was typing "my" and just couldn't do it. Too personally painful so I offered you up. You understand right?
Sure, Haha.

Now back on topic, I wouldn't trade up I don't think. I only like trading up for sure things, and I'm not sure Ekblad is a sure number 2. We definitely have 3 top 60 picks, we just don't know where that third pick falls so I think regardless you pick two right handed d-men and a big forward. I really would like to see us draft Alexis Vanier in the 3rd round and Alex Tuch in the first with two righties (McKeown and Irving) in between.

Last edited by Derek28; 05-04-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Closed Thread