BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The BP Front Page

Old 05-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
::Goes and buys a Vasilevskiy sweater::
OT Name Trivia
Not that it matters as much as how many games he can win for us, but...maybe when he comes over they can fix that weird spelling somebody saddled him with. Would be much better transliterated as Vasilyevsky [va-sil-YEFF-ski], preserving traditional -sky ending for Russian vs. -ski for Polish. "-Skiy" is a contrived invention, and the technically accurate "-skij" is pointless when trying to simplify for anglophones. Third syllable pronounced YEFF instead of EFF--a difference as necessary to Russian as pronouncing Swedish "Kjell" as Shell instead of ka-JELL, and Czech "Neckar" as NETS-cash instead of Necker--the y needs to be in the middle there. Start the trend, Alex. (BTW name means 'son of king')
So enemy nations can literally control our movie releases outright, from anywhere, with the click of a mouse. What's next--presumably Muslims exploding theaters nationwide, wiping out Hollywood completely. No big loss really, but it sets a dangerous precedent: What if they decide they don't like hockey next??
Old 05-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
BTW name means 'son of king'
I always learn something unecpected here...
Old 05-02-2014, 11:54 AM

Like I said... trivia
So enemy nations can literally control our movie releases outright, from anywhere, with the click of a mouse. What's next--presumably Muslims exploding theaters nationwide, wiping out Hollywood completely. No big loss really, but it sets a dangerous precedent: What if they decide they don't like hockey next??
Old 05-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Ha, nice. I assume "vasilyev" or something like that is "king"?

I figured with would be Tsarsky

The spelling registered with the NHL office is Vasilevskiy. Weird, but he's not the first with the "iy" combo.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:57 AM

Skippable OT extra name trivia about Vasilyevsky...

Vasily, Vasyl, Wassily, Vasili, etc. are Slavic forms of Basil, meaning king. There's a St. Basil (14691557) who actually went by the humorously revelatory name Basil Fool for Christ . I am not making this up.
The surname Vasilyev (Russian: Васи́льев) is derived from Vasily.
--wikipedia

In Russian the letter e sounds like "yeh", which is why Elin should have left his name as Yelin instead of changing it to confuse announcers, why Vasilyev has y in the middle, and why Vasilyevsky needs it also. If we liked Ovechkin we'd call him Ovyetchkin, like the English "Of yet" plus -chkin. Since we don't like him we pronounce his O as "oh" and his E as a hard "eh", like backwoods goobers what don't speak nuthin but Merkin.

The ending -skaya / -skij (commonly spelled -sky by Russians) is just an extra feminine / masculine adjectival ending. The -skij and rare variant -skiy aren't much used because how to say them isn't readily apparent to English speakers, the target audience in this case. The shortening to -ski and -sky for Poles and Russians respectively is not really a rule but a convention that developed to suit the two ethnic groups, members of which historically never would want to be confused for one another. Poles and russkies still feud over who invented vodka (I'm going with Poland)
Old 05-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:

Vasily, Vasyl, Wassily, Vasili, etc. are Slavic forms of Basil, meaning king. There's a St. Basil (14691557) who actually went by the humorously revelatory name Basil Fool for Christ . I am not making this up.
The surname Vasilyev (Russian: Васи́льев) is derived from Vasily.
--wikipedia

In Russian the letter e sounds like "yeh", which is why Elin should have left his name as Yelin instead of changing it to confuse announcers, why Vasilyev has y in the middle, and why Vasilyevsky needs it also. If we liked Ovechkin we'd call him Ovyetchkin, like the English "Of yet" plus -chkin. Since we don't like him we pronounce his O as "oh" and his E as a hard "eh", like backwoods goobers what don't speak nuthin but Merkin.

The ending -skaya / -skij (commonly spelled -sky by Russians) is just an extra feminine / masculine adjectival ending. The -skij and rare variant -skiy aren't much used because how to say them isn't readily apparent to English speakers, the target audience in this case. The shortening to -ski and -sky for Poles and Russians respectively is not really a rule but a convention that developed to suit the two ethnic groups, members of which historically never would want to be confused for one another. Poles and russkies still feud over who invented vodka (I'm going with Poland)
I learned something today.

I wonder why the names just can't be spelled phonetically, e.g., Syomen instead of Semin, Fyodorov instead of Fedorov, etc.

But I guess names are always being switched up - Russians go from Alexander to Aleksacha to Sacha but I have no idea how they go from Dmitry to Deema. I asked a Russian friend that question once and he countered with "How do you get from William to Bill?" I imagine there's an explanation for both, but it still made me laugh.

Yeah, this is definitely OT. So... I'm excited for the potential Vasya/Guddy combo in Syracuse. </obvious>
Old 05-03-2014, 10:53 AM
The Constrictor

Every time I read the name of this thread I start humming Neil Diamond's tune. Yeah, I'm old.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks TS. I always enjoy a bit of linguistic history.

Quote:
backwoods goobers what don't speak nuthin but Merkin.
Merkin and 'Murican are two far different things.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:33 PM
BP Staff

And remember, when Andrey signs he promises 35 wins a season and a free kitten for all fans under 10 years old.