BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 01-01-2014, 03:55 PM
John Tortorella's Doghouse

Default Playoff push; what The Bolts need to do better

Okay- at the risk of repeating myself, here it is in a nutshell. As the season grinds towards April, so does the play on the ice- This team is built for speed but often doesn't use it. That is bad. The game against the rangers was the perfect example of that- the blue shirts have big grinding forwards that jam to the net, and play a very physical style. Our defense is made up of primarily poke checkers, Gudas being the obvious exception. We have a less than average team from a strictly physical (hitting, knocking guys off pucks, etc...) standpoint, and as the season approaches May, unless something changes, the points will be very difficult to come by. It is my opinion that Cooper is very well aware of this, hence the call up of Cote, ( who FINALLY looks like he is going to hit something while he's here!) and perhaps Korobov. Since our forwards are in general non- physical types, it is even more glaring when the blue liners just want to poke check all night- Drives the chief crazy, no? Somehow these guys need to be more physical, or Y needs to aquire a 3-4 type that is a physical presence- if that happens, I like our chances alot more... if not? Well, then not so much...
Old 01-01-2014, 04:00 PM
Captain Poke Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalskate View Post
Okay- at the risk of repeating myself, here it is in a nutshell. As the season grinds towards April, so does the play on the ice- This team is built for speed but often doesn't use it. That is bad. The game against the rangers was the perfect example of that- the blue shirts have big grinding forwards that jam to the net, and play a very physical style. Our defense is made up of primarily poke checkers, Gudas being the obvious exception. We have a less than average team from a strictly physical (hitting, knocking guys off pucks, etc...) standpoint, and as the season approaches May, unless something changes, the points will be very difficult to come by. It is my opinion that Cooper is very well aware of this, hence the call up of Cote, ( who FINALLY looks like he is going to hit something while he's here!) and perhaps Korobov. Since our forwards are in general non- physical types, it is even more glaring when the blue liners just want to poke check all night- Drives the chief crazy, no? Somehow these guys need to be more physical, or Y needs to aquire a 3-4 type that is a physical presence- if that happens, I like our chances alot more... if not? Well, then not so much...
Cool deal. Got any 3-4 physical D who are affordable and available?
Old 01-01-2014, 04:04 PM
BP Staff

What they need to do better, that they can control irrespective of what Yzerman does?

Power play.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:48 PM
John Tortorella's Doghouse

Very true. By using their speed to jump on pucks and control play and puck possession, they can draw penalties and also relieve the pressure on the D to be physical. An ineffective pp certainly is a liability. Outside of acquiring a physical veteran blue liner (which I admit is a tall task), the boys we have must step it up in that department. If not? Points will be very tough to come by as the season matures.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice

1. Puck Management
2. Special Teams (Especially what Pete said, the PP)
3. Get "Back on the Horse" (Aggressive Forecheck)
4. Faceoffs (Defensive End draws)
Old 01-02-2014, 10:04 AM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrice View Post
1. Puck Management
2. Special Teams (Especially what Pete said, the PP)
3. Get "Back on the Horse" (Aggressive Forecheck)
4. Faceoffs (Defensive End draws)
I would add help the goalies at the net. As the year wears on there will be a lot of teams charging the net before and after the whistle. To date we tend to let the physical play on our goalie go without consequence or even the thought of protecting your fellow players is like something from the dark ages.
I do think there will be a trade hopefully something like Toronto where they picked up Gleason from the Hurricanes yesterday. They added the toughness you will need for the 2nd half and I believe he is not afraid of the Bruins whom we tend to play terrible against. This is the type of player we need to help us over the hump.

As mentioned the only player doing this on a regular basis is Gudas and he may very well just wear out as the year progresses. Malone may help a bit but he is soft injury wise in the past few years.

Time to make use of some of the excess assets we have and make a smart trade.