BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 12-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat664422 View Post
Purcell has disappeared for large stretches of multiple seasons consistently now, this is looking like the third year. Thing is, his hibernation stretch is particularly badly timed this year because Stamkos went down and we need people to be stepping up offensively, not stepping down. Purcell is probably the most offensively talented after Stamkos and Marty, that's why people are looking to him. He's playing not playing like Stamkos is injured and our playoff positioning is slipping though. Other people can step up too - point is, Purcell has been a consistent offender for multiple seasons now. Even if a player goes into a cold stretch, like Killorn has, as long as they're visibly out there having an impact on the game, busting their ass, fighting for the puck, for scoring chances, people wouldn't be bringing their name up.
Here's a picture of his contributions.
8 points in the first 6 games
8 points in his last 13 games of which 11/25 he got 3 points.
http://screencast.com/t/DTOYG3cM9
Old 12-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I'm normally a Purcell defender, but this is pretty shitty timing for a cold streak. I did think he looked a bit better and more physical along the boards with Nate on his line. That's not his game but I appreciate the effort, and he's had some great backchecking this season. Just needs to stop looking to set people up and fire that laser wrister. Same with TJ. We've got some lethal shots on this team, just need to uncork them.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Send a message via AIM to njbolt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbolt View Post
He is not, nor will never be a physical player on any part of the ice.
This has been established. It's like asking a leopard to change his spots. like Zeyk said. No one else is getting bent out of shape every night about this.

Do you see people burying Flip because he doesn't fight anyone who touches Bishop or Lindback? No.

Quote:
His defense is suspect at best.
Again, when the majority of the board seems to think Purcell has become a fairly solid two-way player who breaks up plays backchecking, your vision might be just a little clouded.

Quote:
His only contribution is scoring for the team.
See my correction above.

Quote:
He spent a tad of time on the 4th line last night and the next promotion from the coach will be upstairs.
Zeyk explained this phenomenon. Ever see Stammer or Marty spotted with the fourth line when 11 forwards are rolled out? Probably not, but thank you for the continued clairvoyance.

Perhaps scratching Teddy and bringing up Brett Connolly is something that would be a good idea in your eyes? Screenshot his stats, he's not streaky either!

Quote:
As a separate conversation I mentioned the "TEAM" issues.

So it was obviously too complex a conversation for ya. Got It.
And you're whining about personal attacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
he's been streaky his whole career.
Quote:
Here's a picture of his contributions.
8 points in the first 6 games
8 points in his last 13 games of which 11/25 he got 3 points.
http://screencast.com/t/DTOYG3cM9
Apparently you hadn't noticed. Purcell is streaky. It's an intrinsic element to his value, a subject which you happen to have a totally different take on than the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
I'm normally a Purcell defender, but this is pretty shitty timing for a cold streak.
Definitely. Except you're not beating the buyout and scratch drums

It's really shitty time for a cold streak. I'd like Teddy to catch fire right about now, especially when Panik is struggling, TJ's been a little cold, Killorn's been off, etc.

Quote:
I did think he looked a bit better and more physical along the boards with Nate on his line. That's not his game but I appreciate the effort, and he's had some great backchecking this season.
BLASPHEMY!

Quote:
Just needs to stop looking to set people up and fire that laser wrister. Same with TJ. We've got some lethal shots on this team, just need to uncork them.
Absolutely. Add Marty and Flip to the list too. Start shooting for rebounds and deflections and crash the net looking for some greasy ones. The whole team's circling the perimeter lately.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
I'm normally a Purcell defender, but this is pretty shitty timing for a cold streak. I did think he looked a bit better and more physical along the boards with Nate on his line. That's not his game but I appreciate the effort, and he's had some great backchecking this season. Just needs to stop looking to set people up and fire that laser wrister. Same with TJ. We've got some lethal shots on this team, just need to uncork them.
Why, 5 shots in the first period not enough to suit ya?

Quote:
You said I was picking on purcell. As a separate conversation I mentioned the "TEAM" issues. So it was obviously too complex a conversation for ya. Got It.
Same conversation, immediately ensuing paragraph. And as a bonus, more support given for TEAM failure than any single player. No need to be on the snide side...honestly, the conversation is not too complex for us: Even if whole team bad, Purcell really bad. We got it.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:28 PM
John Tortorella's Doghouse

"the majority of the board seems to think Purcell has become a fairly solid two-way player " I'm not so sure about that....

Look, call it "bashing", or "freaking out", or whatever you like- bottom line is players on teams have rolls to fill- obviously TP's roll is to score goals, or facilitate the scoring of goals by assisting on goals, or creating scoring opportunities. He has made some nice defensive plays yes- but he is a long way from a Selke- he IS a veteran forward, he IS a top six guy, He DOES play on the first power play unit- so when he does struggle offensively for a long stretch of time, it stands out as adversely affecting the TEAM because his primary roll on this team is as a scoring forward. Does this mean the other members of the team are absolved of responsibility for not fulfilling their own rolls and responsibilities?? Of course not. Does it mean he is solely responsible for the team's struggle to pot points?? Nope, doesn't mean that either. Pretty much means we need #16 to put up points, that's what JV signs his check for.

I would not "buy him out" unless he cannot be traded-and certainly not until the season is over. Why wouldn't Y trade him, or anyone else for that matter, to improve the team's offense?? I suspect there might not be a huge demand for TP16 right now-