BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 09-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Default Goalies

I have not been able to see the preseason games and was wondering how our goalies are playing? Are they making progress? How do they look In the games so far? I read Chads tweet on Bishop which led to this post. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

The book on him is he is suspect to shots from far away and we seen that last night. I don't think it is anything to concern ourselves with, he was decent the other night and strong in the shootout. I think people are blowing it a little out of proportion. Once he gets some games in the reaction time will come back
Old 09-22-2013, 01:30 PM
The Constrictor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
The book on him is he is suspect to shots from far away and we seen that last night. I don't think it is anything to concern ourselves with, he was decent the other night and strong in the shootout. I think people are blowing it a little out of proportion. Once he gets some games in the reaction time will come back
While I agree with you 100%, you can't blame people for getting nervous given our history with tenders
Old 09-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Cooper's Law

If he still looks like this after 4/5 starts in the regular season and Lindback doesn't look much better then I'll start to worry. Until then, I'll chalk it up to rust and getting back into their grooves.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
The book on him is he is suspect to shots from far away
If that's his only or major weakness at this point, then I'm not too concerned. For one, it's a low-percentage play so we don't typically see many shots from far away go on net; and two, that is a skill that can much more easily be sharpened with drills in practice than many others
Old 09-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

I'm excited about our goaltenders this season. When was the last time the Lightning had two young guys who both have a legitimate chance of being No. 1 goalies in the NHL? I think the answer is never. We've had three legit No. 1 goalies in our 20+ year history (Puppa, Khabibulin and Roloson for about a season) and we've made the playoffs with each of them.

I was not convinced by Lindback's play last year, but he's huge and has potential. I'm hoping he comes back with a clean slate, a lighter workload and starts showing those flashes of dominance again.

I thought Bishop stepped right in here last season after playing very well for Ottawa and kept it up for the most part. To me, he clearly looked closer to being the 1a goalie than Lindback.

One key question, though ... does anyone with insight into Cooper know how he typically handles a tandem? Like any coach, I'd imagine if one goalie gets hot he will ride him until there's a back-to-back. But otherwise, can we expect the two goalies to basically play every other game until one distances himself from the other?
Old 09-23-2013, 11:50 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Bishop had me giddy after his first start last year, my enthusiasm has since waned a bit. I have been conditioned to expect the minimum, but its better than having a guy like Holmqvist in net.

Historically, Cooper has a clear starter and will ride the hot hand. Par the course I suspect.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:43 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

I think a lot of the stats from last season aren't really relevant to this season, goaltending numbers especially. It takes a full effort from all positions to keep the puck out of the back of your net, and after the season was clearly in the tank, effort across the board dipped.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

I'm not a coach but it seems hard to get away from the logic of rewarding a goalie who just won a game for you (assuming he played well) by letting him play the next game. It also makes sense from the standpoint of being "on a roll" psychologically, that you'd have a slightly better chance of another win the next night than playing the other guy. It gets tougher after a loss. I like the aspect of, if a goalie loses a game, giving the other one a chance to come in and shine....but sometimes you want to build a guy's confidence back up after a tough loss and put him back in there so he can "rebound" and get past it more easliy. What to do, when to do it...this is why I'm not a coach.