BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Farm

Old 09-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Worth noting that the Lightning's '02-'03 squad registered 31 fights in 2002-2003 (which is exactly what the '12-'13 bunch put up) before posting 44 fights during Cup-winning campaign (source: HockeyFights).

'02-'03 Player Totals
Rank Player (Fight Totals)
1 Chris Dingman (9)
2 Andre Roy (9)
3 Ben Clymer (5)
4 Cory Sarich (3)
5 Jassen Cullimore (1)
6 John Grahame (1)
7 Vincent Lecavalier (1)
8 Stan Neckar (1)
9 Nolan Pratt (1)

'03-'04 Player Totals
1 Chris Dingman (16)
2 Andre Roy (8)
3 Cory Sarich (5)
4 Ben Clymer (4)
5 Pavel Kubina (3)
6 Dan Boyle (2)
7 Vincent Lecavalier (2)
8 Nolan Pratt (2)
9 Jassen Cullimore (1)
10 Tim Taylor (1)

'12-'13 Player Totals
1 B.J. Crombeen (14)
2 Keith Aulie (4)
3 Pierre-Cedric Labrie (4)
4 Vincent Lecavalier (3)
5 Radko Gudas (2)
6 Adam Hall (1)
7 Victor Hedman (1)
8 Benoit Pouliot (1)
9 Nate Thompson (1)

I would have sworn Sarich fought more than Clymer (granted, the totals for both over those two seasons were, at 9-8, narrowly in favor of Clymer). Thought that was interesting.
Keep in mind how those Lightning teams played. They had some decent physical players, players that could do that because Dingman and Roy were there. Reasons guys like Cullimore, Kubina, Pratt, and others could throw hits and not have to deal with the repercussions if there were any.

In recent memory, last year's team had to have been one of the worst league wide in fights, the best fight was Crombeen_Rinaldo, right up until Crombeen started seeing birds chirping.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|TBL|home

"•Four different players from each team dropped the gloves for Tampa Bay and Florida on Sunday afternoon. The Bolts Carl Nielsen, Artem Sergeev, Brett Welychka and Luke Witkowski all received five-minute majors for fighting."

Without knowing how they fared I'm not sure how much weight to put on this. Either way it's nice to see Witko and Sergeev on the list
Old 09-09-2013, 11:14 AM
BP Staff

2 college boys and a Russian fighting doesn't inspire confidence that we kicked ass, but they are at least defending themselves. Also, Witko's a character guy so it wouldn't surprise me if he's a bit better scrapper than the average NCAA product.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uf1910 View Post
http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|TBL|home

"•Four different players from each team dropped the gloves for Tampa Bay and Florida on Sunday afternoon. The Bolts Carl Nielsen, Artem Sergeev, Brett Welychka and Luke Witkowski all received five-minute majors for fighting."

Without knowing how they fared I'm not sure how much weight to put on this. Either way it's nice to see Witko and Sergeev on the list
Witkowski didn't fight in this game.

Apparently this game was on NHL Network Online....once again, great promotion by the NHL.

http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights...px?Game=434356

Carl Nielsen TBL vs Tony Turgeon FLA

All Nielsen with rights until Turgeon pulls him down. Win Nielsen.

Artem Sergeev TBL vs Wade Megan FLA

Nothing big here, they both exchange punches that miss, Meagn falls after throwing one of them. DIASF.

Brett Welychka vs Josh McFadden

McFadden throws some solid punches at Welychka, and is having his way with him. McFadden stops throwing, and wrestles Welychka to the ice. WIN McFadden.

Jake Dotchin vs Josh Brown

Though Dotchin is listed at 6'3 22, and Brown at 6'5 211, there seems to be much more of a height advantage than 2 inches for Brown.

Dotchin locks out Brown pretty good, not getting hit by anything Brown threw. Dotchin responds with 2-3 rights, but Brown ducks the last one and throws a couple of body shots. They wrestle for a bit with Brown throwing a big right, that goes behind Dotchin's head. The stay locked up, Brown throws a right to the body and the a right to the head. Dotchin tries to throw a couple, but Brown has him locked out using his reach. Brown throws a right that misses, they hold on, and I assume that's where the refs came in. EDGE BROWN

Last edited by KyleFreadrich43; 09-09-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
2 college boys and a Russian fighting doesn't inspire confidence that we kicked ass, but they are at least defending themselves. Also, Witko's a character guy so it wouldn't surprise me if he's a bit better scrapper than the average NCAA product.
Pretty much summed up what I was thinking. After all of the talk about needing a heavyweight and protecting JD and others to see 4 (or 5 if the report is incorrect) get on the scorecard I'd say protection was in order and protection was accomplished
Old 09-09-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
Witkowski didn't fight in this game.

Apparently this game was on NHL Network Online....once again, great promotion by the NHL.

http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights...px?Game=434356

Carl Nielsen TBL vs Tony Turgeon FLA

All Nielsen with rights until Turgeon pulls him down. Win Nielsen.

Artem Sergeev TBL vs Wade Megan FLA

Nothing big here, they both exchange punches that miss, Meagn falls after throwing one of them. DIASF.

Brett Welychka vs Josh McFadden

McFadden throws some solid punches at Welychka, and is having his way with him. McFadden stops throwing, and wrestles Welychka to the ice. WIN McFadden.

Jake Dotchin vs Josh Brown

Though Dotchin is listed at 6'3 22, and Brown at 6'5 211, there seems to be much more of a height advantage than 2 inches for Brown.

Dotchin locks out Brown pretty good, not getting hit by anything Brown threw. Dotchin responds with 2-3 rights, but Brown ducks the last one and throws a couple of body shots. They wrestle for a bit with Brown throwing a big right, that goes behind Dotchin's head. The stay locked up, Brown throws a right to the body and the a right to the head. Dotchin tries to throw a couple, but Brown has him locked out using his reach. Brown throws a right that misses, they hold on, and I assume that's where the refs came in. EDGE BROWN
Just posted what the Bolts website reported as I have zero personal knowledge. As for Witko, maybe he didn't fight in the Turds game, however...

http://blog.syracuse.com/crunch/2013...eat_nashv.html

"Blueliner Luke Witkowski engaged in the first fight of the tournament for the Bolts with Predators forward Sebastian Geoffrion. The fight lasted less than 30 seconds with Geoffrion being the first to fall to the ice. "
Old 09-09-2013, 03:00 PM
BP Staff

Witko did put in a lot of time in the USHL before heading to the NCAA, and they do fight in that league. He had > 100 PIMs in both of his seasons in that league.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Just posted what the Bolts website reported as I have zero personal knowledge. As for Witko, maybe he didn't fight in the Turds game, however...

http://blog.syracuse.com/crunch/2013...eat_nashv.html

"Blueliner Luke Witkowski engaged in the first fight of the tournament for the Bolts with Predators forward Sebastian Geoffrion. The fight lasted less than 30 seconds with Geoffrion being the first to fall to the ice. "
This was in the second game of the tournament. While there were punches thrown and Geoffrion hit the ice, they were both given 2 minutes for roughing.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:

That was answered when I asked it 2 days ago in the Rookie Tournament thread 8-)
Old 09-09-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Pretty much summed up what I was thinking. After all of the talk about needing a heavyweight and protecting JD and others to see 4 (or 5 if the report is incorrect) get on the scorecard I'd say protection was in order and protection was accomplished
These weren't "protection" fights. These were either 2 guys getting annoyed with each other, or guys trying to stand out for their teams to notice them.