BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Talk

Old 08-17-2013, 05:48 PM
The Constrictor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
At least it's not Fox's team.
I didn't mind Fox's studio group. At least they kept it light and I liked Barton. But Gus Johnson was the first ever soccer announcer that forced me to watch a match with the mute on. I couldn't take that clown any longer.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow01 View Post
I didn't mind Fox's studio group. At least they kept it light and I liked Barton. But Gus Johnson was the first ever soccer announcer that forced me to watch a match with the mute on. I couldn't take that clown any longer.
Fox's group is/was terrible. I prefer the sort of stoicism of British commentary because it lets me watch the game rather than distract my attention with inane anecdotes or bad jokes.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Cooper's Law

The duo they have calling the Hull/Chelsea game is good. They keep it serious when it needs to be but inject a little humor when they see a moment for it. They also get really passionate when they see a series of good plays that showcase good soccer even when it doesn't end in a goal.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Interesting type of goal you don't see often these days. Indirect kick deep inside the penalty box because the keeper had to handle a ball kicked back to him too hard. They lined up everyone on the goal line and still couldn't stop it.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:33 AM
Cooper's Law

This may have been discussed before on these boards since the soccer section is not something that I would ever look at. But in case it hasn't been discussed, I give you this story:

http://www.bradenton.com/2013/08/21/...-official.html
Old 08-21-2013, 02:11 PM
BP Staff

All the more reason to pursue an MLS franchise in Tampa. Done right, there's no reason Central Florida can't become one of the key focal points of US soccer at a time when US soccer is starting to reach some competitive maturity. This is the right time to get in on it. All the fundamentals are fairly strong and a lot of the kinks have been worked out from some of MLS's early mistakes.

I doubt they'd tell me, but I'd love to know if Leiweke and Vinik have discussed it.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:42 PM
BP Staff

The US has invited Brooks for the upcoming matches against Costa Rica and Mexico, and he looks poised to accept. If he does, he's locked into Team USA and can't flip back to Germany.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
The US has invited Brooks for the upcoming matches against Costa Rica and Mexico, and he looks poised to accept. If he does, he's locked into Team USA and can't flip back to Germany.
I hope he does. He looks like he's going to be a beast.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
And, if his development continues, the center back situation is set for the three cycles. Between Gonzalez, Besler, and Brooks, the US is doing pretty well. Good thing, too, because that's a slower position to develop, and the US doesn't appear to have many bright prospects waiting to step in.

Now, let's get the left and right back situations buttoned up ...
Old 08-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Cooper's Law

For those who may have missed it, here's the roster for the upcoming games against Costa Rica and Mexico:

GOALKEEPERS- Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando

DEFENDER- DaMarcus Beasley, Matt Besler, John Brooks, Geoff Cameron, Edgar Castillo, Brad Evans, Omar Gonzalez, Michael Orozco

MIDFELDERS- Kyle Beckerman, Alejandro Bedoya, Michael Bradley, Mix Diskerud, Fabian Johnson, Jermaine Jones, Graham Zusi

FORWARDS- Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Aron Johannsson, Eddie Johnson

From that group, here's what I'd really love to see in Costa Rica:

Altidore
Donovan ---- Dempsey ---- Zusi
Jones ---- Bradley
Beasley ---- Besler ---- Gonzalez ---- Evans
Howard