BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 06:52 AM
Larry Hirsch's Travel Agent

This stings a bit, Smith ranked by the writer at #6 in the league, and Bishop at #29.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--ra...154114642.html
Old 07-29-2013, 08:04 AM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphockey View Post
This stings a bit, Smith ranked by the writer at #6 in the league, and Bishop at #29.

That is called the Franz effect - to the bottom my friend it's found with butt firmly planted in the back of the net...... that's the Franz mantra. Butt (no pun intended) it's really hard to put a 6'6 or 6'5 butt in the back of the net unless it also includes a little bitty black puck with it.....
Old 07-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Watching some amazing pro lacrosse action over the weekend it struck me how deep the goalies all play in their crease...basically heels on the damn goal line...and you commonly get game scores like 14-12 and 20-17. No big surprise with a 6 x 6 cage, but still the deeper you sink, the bigger the net looks. I'm not an NHL goalie coach (not sure Franz is either) but IMO for every goal you save by being sunk in deep, you let in five where you could've cut down the angle. Not a good "trade-off" -- and apparently neither was Smitty, who's now kicking butt
Old 07-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:

To be fair, it's hard to justify ranking Bishop higher than #29 at this point because the sample size just isn't there. The quick write-up is basically prognostication/speculation rather than a commentary on results.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:

I could be wrong, but I don't really remember anyone not running Mike Smith out of here on a rail.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Nope, and rightly so. At the time, he was a key part of the worst G tandem in the NHL, still evidently fuzzy between the ears from multiple concussions, who routinely earned the nickname "5mith" for his wildly ambitious but ill-advised forays out of the crease, featuring lots of dipsy-doodling and hotdogging with the puck, which too often ended up in the back of his net.

We can be glad he's apparently gotten better both medically and positionally, without too much wailing and gnashing of teeth over what "couldabeen" when virtually nobody wanted to keep him here.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:

Terrible rankings. It seems like the writer doesn't watch too much hockey.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

I think this was mentioned previously but watch Toronto over the next few days. Mark Fraser's arbitration hearing is tomorrow and they have roughly $6M to sign Fraser, Franson, and Nazem Kadri. If the ruling goes in the favor of Fraser the Leafs may have no choice but to move Franson, or vice versa and hold onto Franson and deal Fraser.

Fraser would add some real nice size and physicality to our blueline.

Just speculation but that could be a situation to watch
Old 07-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Barry Melrose's Hairstylist

The most damning part for me was, who was the one goalie he was ranked higher than? Karri Ramo.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

I have little doubt that Mike Smith's up-and-down career still has some valleys to come. But good for him to improve behind one of the best defensive teams in hockey.
Closed Thread