BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 06-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Swedish Battle Tank

The slew foot was a horrible non call
Old 06-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Steve Ludzik's Leisure Suit Vest

Boychuck's hit on Toews should have been a penalty (and probably a suspension). I don't get too upset about missed calls--it's going to happen. NHL refs have an incredibly difficult job. What bothers me is the general acceptance that games are going to be called differently at different times of the game and at different times of the year. There's no logic to it, and it damages the game as well as the players. Consistency should be the goal, and refs shouldn't even be looking at the clock or the calendar. I know it's easier said than done, but that should be the intention. It should be up to the players (and coaches) to not take a penalty late in a game, or in a crucial playoff game...or late in a crucial playoff game.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Larry Hirsch's Travel Agent

Consistancy from the day 1 of preseason to cup winning game.

Call it with the intent of the writers of the rulebook, the wishes of the GM's and owners who invest millions in these players.

The rules are intended to create as safe of an environment for all participants and spectators and to uphold the integrity of the greatest game in the world.

So how does deliberate non calls in the post season uphold that?

Blatent trip creating a turnover cost the Bruins an empty net goal clinching a win for the Hawks and a 3-2 series lead instead of a offensive zone faceoff and 6 on 4 for the last 10 to 15 seconds.

How exciting would THAT have been?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudas Priest View Post
Boychuck's hit on Toews should have been a penalty (and probably a suspension).
Why? If Boychuk was targeting the head, he missed...nobody on the Hawks even raised the issue at the time.
Quote:
I don't get too upset about missed calls--it's going to happen. NHL refs have an incredibly difficult job. What bothers me is the general acceptance that games are going to be called differently at different times of the game and at different times of the year. There's no logic to it, and it damages the game as well as the players. Consistency should be the goal, and refs shouldn't even be looking at the clock or the calendar. I know it's easier said than done, but that should be the intention. It should be up to the players (and coaches) to not take a penalty late in a game, or in a crucial playoff game...or late in a crucial playoff game.
Consistency exists almost nowhere...to me there's as much to appreciate in the art of discernment as in rigid conformity to an arbitrary standard. The ability late in a one-goal or tied game to discern at what point the Cup on the line takes precedence over a non-competing individual's encyclopedic knowledge and personal interpretation of intentionally vague passages in a rulebook is the hallmark of a playoff-worthy veteran official IMO
Old 06-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Larry Hirsch's Travel Agent

Lets play an on ice version of wheres waldo penalty edition.
Hopefully it won't take a NHL veteran official to spot this one.

SCF Game 5 Hawks - Bruins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQHZAVyyG5U

Heres a hint
freeze it at 0:39 seconds.

Call or no call?
Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Call me a purist but anytime guys start kicking other guys,...it seems like something might be slightly off
Old 06-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphockey View Post
Lets play an on ice version of wheres waldo penalty edition.
Hopefully it won't take a NHL veteran official to spot this one.

SCF Game 5 Hawks - Bruins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQHZAVyyG5U

Heres a hint
freeze it at 0:39 seconds.

Call or no call?
Typical Bruin dive..... oh me oh my I fell down in a pile please bail me out..... reffy.

Listen as normal with the Bruins they play so close to the edge with all their stick jabbing, elbows flying, cross checks to the head, neck, back thrown in with the normal 1 - 3 slew foots from marchand and the half dozen across the ice charging calls of which only 2% are called. The Bruins are a dirty team..... fans like it, but sometimes when you do that crap all game every game you are not going to get those chintzy diving calls going your way. There's enough barf from the refs.

On the ice pond with the bouncing puck tonight the Hawks may say c ya don't wanna be ya......

But I would really like to see a game seven they are always so much fun.