BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 05-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Hedman was a 22 year old
That is all I say to anyone when I "defend" Hedman. Everyone busts on him for his lack of physicality and all of the other faults that have been beaten into the ground. I say relax...he's 22.

To everyone who likes to point out all of Hedman's deficiencies, ask yourselves these questions. Do the Islanders regret giving up on Chara after he was 24? Do the Sens regret giving up on Chara and picking Wade Redden as their cornerstone d-man and thus letting Chara walk to Boston? Did the old Hartford Whalers regret trading away Chris Pronger when he was 22? I'm not comparing Hedman to Chara or Pronger, however I am comparing their situations b/c all 3 "struggled" as young defenseman and were dealt away and/or allowed to walk away. And in each case the losing franchise would later come to greatly regret their decisions of the past. Patience is a virtue and in this case patience is key.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Default Bolts Soft & Comfortable

Did not see the article when it was first posted but in an interview with Cooper he was asked how to describe the team.

He said Soft and way too comfortable with losing.

Now being that can not be said for his AHL players who/whom do you all think he was referring too.

Sure was not the kids. Comfortable with Losing and Playing soft..... what a deadly combination for use in the new division next year.

But please do put on your rose colored glasses about the state of the team. We can all hope that players who have been here for a decade will turn the corner and no longer accept losing in there house.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Old-Skool Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Hedman was a 22 year old getting thrown out in first pair situations against other team's top lines. He's still figuring out how to rise to that compete-level against the game's finest players. Eventually, he'll get it on the defensive side and he showed he's really starting to get it on the offensive side in a way most scouts didn't think he would as an 18 year old. That excites me because we may end up with an even better player than we thought when we first took him once he finishes developing.

Gudas' problem is discipline with his jumping into the play. At his best, he's an unexpectedly good offensive weapon. At his worst, he was giving away odd man rushes like they were candy at Halloween. He'll either pick up that positional discipline quickly or he'll find himself pigeon-holed as a 6th-7th d-man. I think he showed his ceiling's higher than expected, too, but it's going to come down to whether he gains the maturity (not giving up odd man rushes and staying out of the box) to be a top-4 or if he'll always be a bottom pair guy.
I was very impressed with his quick, accurate, and smart passes once he had control of the puck. He seemed to know where he wanted to go with it, and quiickly. That is SO important for a forward, to know if he gets to open ice, he can expect a hard, flat pass witht the correct spin on it so that he can wheel away. And because he seemed to know where he wanted to go with the pass, he rarely chipped the puck aimlessly out of the zone.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbolt View Post
But please do put on your rose colored glasses about the state of the team. We can all hope that players who have been here for a decade will turn the corner and no longer accept losing in there house.
Are you suggesting the team is better off jettison MSL and VL4, as I'm guessing those are the two you are referring to.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Are you suggesting the team is better off jettison MSL and VL4, as I'm guessing those are the two you are referring to.
I suggest nothing just relate the fact of the coaches observation. He stated Soft and comfortable with losing - although I do agree on soft without question. Comfort in losing that is only something to be observed from within the locker room. It is for him and management to decide how to proceed to correct those issues.
I look forward to the changes in personnel/style and mentality that I hope he will demand of the players. We can all agree with the talent level in house this should not be happening, but it is and has for two seasons.

Let's see were the chips fall we should know before the season starts.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbolt View Post
Did not see the article when it was first posted but in an interview with Cooper he was asked how to describe the team.

He said Soft and way too comfortable with losing.

Now being that can not be said for his AHL players who/whom do you all think he was referring too.

Sure was not the kids. Comfortable with Losing and Playing soft..... what a deadly combination for use in the new division next year.

You read this or inferred it?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

This is the article he's likely referring to.

Fennelly: Lightning's Cooper ready for frantic offseason

Quote:
His assessment of the team he inherited is frank.

“If you've asked anybody I've coached before, we play really hard and we're really hard to play against,” Cooper said. “This might be the easiest team to play against in the league.”

Soft?

“Use your own adjectives,” Cooper said. “There are teams in our new division next year that are probably salivating over that, that they get to play us.”

The teams he coached in the Lightning system led the way in goals — and penalty minutes. In his dreams, Cooper says an NHL entry would be a cross between “the '70s Flyers and the '80s Oilers,” heavy on the Broad Street Bullies when need be.

“You don't have to fight, you just have to be willing to. The other team has to know that. You don't have to go into the corner and blow somebody up. You just have to be willing to do it. The other team has to know, and when they know, it changes the way they play.

“It takes a really high commitment, because it pulls players out of their comfort level. We're comfortable right now. This team is really comfortable. They don't want these results, but they're comfortable with them. I look at some of the players we have and I think we have a bunch of really, really good guys. But at some point some of them are going to have to grow a little dirt under their nails.”
Old 05-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
You read this or inferred it?
This was in an article someone sent me the link. I'll try to find it and post. Those are Coopers words in his exit interview.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
This is the article he's likely referring to.

Fennelly: Lightning's Cooper ready for frantic offseason
Yes - that is the article.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:09 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

So the pathetic losing skid they put together to end the season right after he came on board was what, just proof of what he's saying? We didn't notice any alteration of anything by anyone to make our team any harder to play in any game during the slow circling of the toilet drain last month...so...cue the mantra....

..."there's always next year"

At 38 Marty St. Louis has got to be getting tired of the never-ending, repetitious refrain that's a little too much like I'm Getting Closer to My Home...does he ever get there again, or has that ship sailed
--US Atty. Gen. Eric Holder revealing his thought-control regime aimed at citizens wishing to protect themselves from violent criminals, such as tyrannical government bureaucrats believing their function is to brainwash citizens into passive obedience, illustrating unwittingly yet with convincing precision the Founders' wisdom in crafting the 2nd Amendment