BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 04-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Default ECQF #2 Canadiens vs. #7 Sens

NHL.com series preview
Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Gryba hits Eller in open ice, lots of blood. Replays I've seen aren't very good, doesn't look particularly malicious despite the blood but I could be wrong.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Gryba hits Eller in open ice, lots of blood. Replays I've seen aren't very good, doesn't look particularly malicious despite the blood but I could be wrong.
Seeing Grybar's reaction tells me it was unintentional.

Per NHIC, broken nose and concussion.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:18 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

That hit has me so confused. Every replay I have seen looks like a shoulder hit to me. If Ferrence (with multiple game suspensions already) gets only one game for a much more intentional head shot, how much could this one really be?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:49 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

That was a hospital pass by Diaz that set that up. Extremely unfortunate for Eller that he landed square on his face, which caused all the damage. I'm not sure what they can hand out here since there's nothing objective they could point to as being bad about the hit, only the results.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:17 AM
John Tortorella's Binky

Default Diaz killed Eller

more elbow to the head than can be just shrugged off. I bet Gryba is gone for the series. Definitely a high hit that he could have controlled will be the Shanny explanation. Lot of elbow and not just shoulder and high in the chest with full force to face. Eller was hurt before he went down. Official medical opinion qualified by just watching a few views. Dude was concussed and lost arm control which is consistent with concussive force which is contra coup in the damage done. Gryba will be gone for at least four and maybe more. Could have been a clean hit but he chose to punish which is just what the league has been preaching against in their rulings thus far. Gryba has clean history which is the biggest mitigator and lots of high tech angles will be brought forth by Shannahan that not even TSN has:

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/.../0#main/latest

Right or wrong I think Gryba gets 4 games. Head before body to me, excepting chest initial hit. The head can't snap that fast and not be a totally concussed flail.

Last edited by bolts37205; 05-03-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolts37205 View Post
more elbow to the head than can be just shrugged off. I bet Gryba is gone for the series. Definitely a high hit that he could have controlled will be the Shanny explanation. Lot of elbow and not just shoulder and high in the chest with full force to face. Eller was hurt before he went down. Official medical opinion qualified by just watching a few views. Dude was concussed and lost arm control which is consistent with concussive force which is contra coup in the damage done. Gryba will be gone for at least four and maybe more. Could have been a clean hit but he chose to punish which is just what the league has been preaching against in their rulings thus far. Gryba has clean history which is the biggest mitigator and lots of high tech angles will be brought forth by Shannahan that not even TSN has:

Right or wrong I think Gryba gets 4 games. Head before body to me, excepting chest initial hit. The head can't snap that fast and not be a totally concussed flail.
I disagree here. Even before I watched the video it looked more like initial body on body contact. The head is whiplashed from the hit (possible concussion) and Eller's face hits the ice straight on (broken nose, maybe concussion). The result is a lot worse than the hit itself. I expect 0 games, no fine.

Unfortunate play for Eller - wish him a speedy recovery.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Captain Poke Check

Eller's face hitting the ice and him losing a lot of blood makes the hit look worse than it really was. I don't think Gryba did anything cheap on the play, he didn't raise his elbow or target the head.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:09 AM

Ice caused the blood and Diaz caused the bad hit by giving him a pass and turning his blind side to open ice.

Players eventually have to be held accountable for skating with their heads down. The hit was just bad circumstance.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolts37205 View Post

Nothing personal doc, just no need to get too extreme IMO, esp. where considerable room for an alternative viewpoint clearly exists. First, the over-the-top title "Diaz killed Eller" isn't quite accurate on a couple of levels. Second, tossing "contrecoup" into a discussion of concussion among laypeople doesn't clarify it or make it more meaningful to the readership (no matter how it's spelled...this ain't Sesame Street). Third, a man's cerebrum bouncing off the interior surface of his calvarium is not an automatic penalty situation as your post appears to imply; concussions happen all too frequently on legal plays, like this one. Fourth, many sincere thanks for the link to the TSN breakdown, the technological treatment of which does a great job of...completely contradicting both yours and the referee's assessment of the hit's legality. Just reviewing the stop-action slo-mo: Puck on stick, feet on ice, shoulder down, elbow in, principal contact directly to chest & lower abdomen...textbook clean, hard, open-ice bodycheck this league was built on, IMHO. Not even a minor for interference in sight, let alone the major.

While the hit of course made me feel for Eller and I join the rest of the hockey community, such as it is, in wishing the best for him and his family after this serious head injury, I have no problem with this check at all, and I'm just as surprised as everyone in studio and around the hockey world that there's even a hearing. This is still full-contact hockey, right? Just "checking"...
For Democrats every day is opposite day. Getting destroyed in an election means the other side better wise up...record cold is evidence of too much heat...those who use guns to break the law will suddenly obey a law banning guns. And more law enforcement makes a community less safe.