BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 04-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
Ok, fair enough. Being a complete numbers nerd, it would be really cool to see some of those number breakdowns of TOI (I find that a very telling stat) all put together on the site somewhere if possible unless I have missed it (I know, a big order, but hey, can't hurt to ask).
Planned. Which reminds me...
Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 PM
BP Staff

I'd get out from under Brewer and Malone's contracts. Brewer because he's fool's gold and Malone because he's a porcelain doll. Beyond that there's a number of smaller moves like jettisoning Crombeen and Aulie, but those would be the main changes necessary to free up some capital.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
You do understand that coaches protect players, usually young or less skilled, by putting them out in situations and against opposing lines, offensive zone faceoffs vs defensive zone faceoffs, etc, so as to hopefully give them situations to succeed, right?

Just because you think he's ahead in the depth chart doesn't mean he is, and doesn't mean he's ready to take on the responsibilities that Brewer is put out in. Hedman and Brewer are continually put out against the opposing teams top lines and skill guys in all situations and all zones and for big minutes. Their mistakes usually end up in the net because of that, whereas the same mistakes by other defenders end up just being a scoring chance or a whiffed chance.
These are wise words.

With Hedman out, Cooper is leaning heavily on the vets. Who played 20+ minutes and did Cooper put out there in the final minute of the game to help protect a 1-goal lead? Brewer. Also, he has struck me as more deliberate with deploying Gudas than Boucher was.

Last edited by Mike; 04-09-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:40 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Mike Gallimore has the Boucher data, and obviously my comments were based on historical Boucher data.
You're referring to what I threw out there the other night about TB's puck-possession under Boucher vs. Cooper, right?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:47 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Being a complete numbers nerd, it would be really cool to see some of those number breakdowns of TOI (I find that a very telling stat) all put together on the site somewhere if possible unless I have missed it (I know, a big order, but hey, can't hurt to ask).
Good news: a TB-specific stats resource is in the works--I've been crafting spreadsheets and compiling data for a couple months now--and when it is ready and capable of being integrated into the site, it will be. Or maybe a sub-site? Bolt Statistics?

The big project at the moment is getting the puck possession metrics completed. I'm not done compiling all the skater game-by-game data for this season yet but the team aggregates and goalie game-by-game data is up-to-date.

You mentioned you're into stats. Would you be interested in helping compile some of the data? I've got a collaborator who's not quite able to help out just yet and I know of somebody else who is tracking scoring chances whom I believe may be interested. The more manpower, the more that can be accomplished. Or at least more quickly.

Last edited by Mike; 04-09-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

I couldn't have been the only one...
Old 04-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Good news: a TB-specific stats resource is in the works--I've been crafting spreadsheets and compiling data for a couple months now--and when it is ready and capable of being integrated into the site, it will be. Or maybe a sub-site? Bolt Statistics?

The big project at the moment is getting the puck possession metrics completed. I'm not done compiling all the skater game-by-game data for this season yet but the team aggregates and goalie game-by-game data is up-to-date.

You mentioned you're into stats. Would you be interested in helping compile some of the data? I've got a collaborator who's not quite able to help out just yet and I know of somebody else who is tracking scoring chances whom I believe may be interested. The more manpower, the more that can be accomplished. Or at least more quickly.
Yeah, I'd be interested in helping. I'm going to be a bit hectic here, but I would like to help out. That sounds like a cool project.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Yeah, I'd be interested in helping. I'm going to be a bit hectic here, but I would like to help out. That sounds like a cool project.
Awesome. Any little bit is helpful. I'll PM you and we can figure out how to get you involved but not overwhelmingly so.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Awesome. Any little bit is helpful. I'll PM you and we can figure out how to get you involved but not overwhelmingly so.
Hey, I have taken enough from this site I can give back some here. Def PM me.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

I also don't want to see a revolving door of veteran FA signees. But I agree with Pete about Malone. We can do better simply by redirecting that money at a free agent who doesn't have such obvious faults. The guy cannot stay healthy. So what good is he?

Brewer is still serviceable and calm. I don't mind paying a guy like that to do what he does. We need some veterans. The moment we got rid of Brewer we'd have opened up a need for a veteran stay-at-home dman. Those cost money. Brewer is all right. Not saying we couldn't upgrade there, but it's not as easy as it sounds.

Totally agree on Crombeen. He's been a disappointment. I expected him to either be tougher, fiestier or more of a contributor in other areas. Not a total disappointment, but should not be too hard to replace with an upgrade.

Finally, there's Aulie. I think it's WAY too early in the kid's career to label him, project him, write him off or earmark him to be "jettisoned." That'd be hasty and short-sighted. Let the kid develop. What teams wouldn't like a young, mobile 6-foot-6 stay-at-home dman on their bottom pair? Give him a chance.