BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 03-31-2013, 02:41 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Well with today's cap and the new CBA we all had better get used to the fact that we will always have the Keith Aulie's on this team, or any team, because they come cheap. Aulie's hit is only .578 ml.
Not sure I'd rather have a Keith Aulie than a Mark Barberio on the team right now. For that matter, he was below Evan Oberg on the depth chart for Norfolk last year. Those players aren't exactly expensive either.

In any event, I don't see much upside with him. He is what he is, and that's a #7 defenseman who you can only entrust, in good conscience, with about 12 minutes of ice time hidden against other teams' lumberjack lines. I look at Sustr as Aulie's replacement, quite frankly.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:59 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Not sure I'd rather have a Keith Aulie than a Mark Barberio on the team right now. For that matter, he was below Evan Oberg on the depth chart for Norfolk last year. Those players aren't exactly expensive either.

In any event, I don't see much upside with him. He is what he is, and that's a #7 defenseman who you can only entrust, in good conscience, with about 12 minutes of ice time hidden against other teams' lumberjack lines. I look at Sustr as Aulie's replacement, quite frankly.
Sustr is also the ever-coveted right handed dman. Like southpaws in baseball, that automatically puts him at a premium.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Side View Post
Totally agree. I also agree that Gudas should had been kept after camp. You try to send Aulie down and hope he does not get picked up. But that is the fault of those making the contracts.
No it isn't the fault of the ones making the contract. It's the reality of the CBA. In most cases, once a prospect gets his beyond his entry-level contract and signs his 2nd contract, he then becomes waiver eligible. It's in the CBA to keep owners/GMs from stockpiling and hiding players in the minors, and the player never getting a shot at playing in the NHL.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post

One thing about Yzerman in his tenure thus far. When he's done with a prospect/player, they are gone post-haste. As soon as Ashton slipped to the 3rd and 4th lines in Norfolk, he was Toronto property. If Sustr supplants Aulie for the balance of the ceiling, you might see him traded at the draft for an extra pick.

On the other hand... looking at the depth chart on the blueline for next season... you have the following needing a new contract this summer:

UFA: Bergeron
RFA: Aulie, Mikkelson, Oberg, Taormina, Barberio, Gudas

Bergeron is pretty much gone, and one would think Barberio and Gudas are locks to be re-signed. Mikkelson, Oberg, Taormina are all question marks. Hard to know where they stand with the organization.

Witkowski is on the verge of signing an ELC and could very well step into a #6 role in Tampa next season, and Nesterov is a darkhorse to come to NA. Sergeev is already under ELC and will start his pro career next season.

So that means the blueline next season is looking like:

Hedman, Carle, Brewer, Salo, Gudas*, Witkowski, Sustr, Aulie*, Lee, Barberio*, Taormina*, Korobov, Sergeev, Mikkelsson*, Oberg*, Landry, Milan.

I think what Pete is saying, Other Side, is Aulie is looking like a #7 or #8 in the organization because I GUARANTEE you that Luke Witkowski will step off WMU ice and onto Tampa ice ahead of Aulie in the depth chart in a shutdown role. (That being said, Witkowski probably gets the same kind of ELC that Killorn got -- ELC starts 2013-14 season and AHL-only contract with Syracuse for the rest of this season). And then what do you do with Aulie this time next year, when Slater Koekkoek is getting ready to join the Lightning after his junior season is over?

There's no way Yzerman is missing this. He might sign Aulie to one more single year contract and gamble that he can slip him to Syracuse after training camp in fall when everybody is trimming their rosters down, but he'll spend the whole 2013-14 season there and get traded at some point next year just like Carter Ashton did.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:46 PM
Swedish Battle Tank

And I said he has never a top 6. Pete made a comment about his play against the top lines, and I responded that he should never play against the top lines unless he gets caught in a line change mix up.

All I was saying that in the pst few weeks he has stepped up his came and is not a stay at homer, but then he is not an offensive defenseman. Right now he is between the two.

Also said that unless you have watched him play live these past few weeks you will not have the right impression of his play due to the limits of a camera. It was like how we used to scout teams years ago, via a dish.