BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 03-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
They had a shift in the Third Period that was vintage Dingman/Cibak/Afanasenkov from back in the day sitting on the puck in the offensive third to kill time and just generally being a pain in the ass to the Flyers.
That was some spectacular forechecking all right
Old 03-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Realize that these guys are not playing against the other team's top shutdown guys shift-in-and-shift-out. They've got great talent and upside, which is why they are looking fantastic against the opposition's less stellar defensive units. But throw them into a few games in a row where they are playing against the most physical and toughest shutdown guys on the better teams in the league, and you'll see that they too will start experiencing what Conacher's had a taste of for weeks now.

As good as they are playing, make no mistake that if/when Lecavalier and Pouliot come off IR, Johnson and Palat will be headed back to Syracuse. The future is bright, and we are all preening our BP codpieces in unabashed pride because this why we run a prospects site, but let's let the kids just settle into the roles and expectations the coaches have for them, and not pin winning a division title on their shoulders.

Yzerman next acquisition needs to be someone who can beat the snot out of 95% of the players in the league.
I don't disagree, but until then, I'm not convinced Johnson is not our second best scoring center at this point. I like Pyatt, but Johnson has impressed me, especially with FOs. No they haven't faced that top shut down line, but with a top line of Marty/Stamkos, are they ever going to face that shutdown line? And with them using Conacher so much less.... I mean, I like Thompson (usually) and what he brings (usually, for about a 4 game stretch he was a turnover machine and not causing them), but the guy was third among forwards in TOI behind Stamkos and Marty. 17 minutes to Thompson when Tyrell had 9 (especially with how he was playing) is just really out of whack for me. And that is more of what I really was getting at initially. No, I don't expect 20 minutes a game from these guys, but I also don't think they should be below a lot of the guys they are, especially by that much. Probably all comes back to my absolute hatred of us running our top players into the ground with minutes (same complaint I had under Torts) somewhere, who knows, just know I want to see more of the kids out there.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
we are all preening our BP codpieces in unabashed pride
thanks for the visual
Old 03-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
I don't disagree, but until then, I'm not convinced Johnson is not our second best scoring center at this point. I like Pyatt, but Johnson has impressed me, especially with FOs. No they haven't faced that top shut down line, but with a top line of Marty/Stamkos, are they ever going to face that shutdown line? And with them using Conacher so much less.... I mean, I like Thompson (usually) and what he brings (usually, for about a 4 game stretch he was a turnover machine and not causing them), but the guy was third among forwards in TOI behind Stamkos and Marty. 17 minutes to Thompson when Tyrell had 9 (especially with how he was playing) is just really out of whack for me. And that is more of what I really was getting at initially. No, I don't expect 20 minutes a game from these guys, but I also don't think they should be below a lot of the guys they are, especially by that much. Probably all comes back to my absolute hatred of us running our top players into the ground with minutes (same complaint I had under Torts) somewhere, who knows, just know I want to see more of the kids out there.
This isn't about this year. This is about putting these guys on the ice IN SITUATIONS WHERE THEY CAN BE SUCCESSFUL, building their confidence and getting an exposure to the NHL game. That way when they return to Syracuse, they will know that they can play at a higher level and will know the areas of their game that they need to work on, in a less stressful environment. Look at how Tyrell used his time in the AHL. I have a feeling you are seeing the same things out of Panik, Wyman, Brown and Connolly. The worst thing they can do is put these guys out for 15 minutes a night, let them get their brains beat in when they are tired and return wondering if they have the ability to progress.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Barry Melrose's Hairstylist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
We need more of the performances that produced the stats being completely ignored because they don't support a particular position that looks just like intense and somewhat irrational dislike of the player. For some reason, despite having weeks to try to do it, no one has yet offered any meaningful or logical refutation of my main point, which was that when the only two people with more points and assists on your team are named Stamkos and St. Louis, you must be doing pretty well and proving your value to the club, beyond question. No one. The open invitation still stands.

"My golden boy"...*sigh* no, if I had one it'd be Marty St. Louis, who, being human, has his own off nights and foibles (deliberately avoiding use of the word "shortcomings") as well, like not shooting enough, not being the greatest at defense and being too hard on himself. Even though he's imperfect his consistent production numbers still make him awesome as hell and worth keeping on the team IMHO. No amount of scouring the web for footage of him making mistakes will be sufficient to revoke that observation, based on a stellar career stretching over a decade, but any who are so inclined are at liberty to pursue that if they wish.

I don't watch any video that forces me to sit through a 30-second commercial first, but that doesn't matter in this case since I already caught the game last night. I'm kind of a big-picture guy...IMO, points matter. I don't inhabit a world where this or that mistake voids the consistent production numbers of a player like Purcell, which arguably reflect a contribution to the team over the entire (albeit amputated) season to date that can be described as outstanding, excellent, or superior...meaning standing out from everyone else but Marty and Stammer, excelling beyond everyone but those two, superior to every single other player on the team in putting up points except just those two iconic superstars. Taking the long view of the big picture, he's really not doing that badly. A forward basically has to either be a cancer in the dressing room or stop being among the team leaders at causing pucks to go in the net for me to consider getting rid of him. There are plenty of Kharitonovs in the world who can stickhandle around a puma in a phone booth, but this guy can do that PLUS cause scoring plays to happen. I may hate the way he pronounces his name but who cares? Guys racking up assists are making their teammates better and helping goals occur, which is what I expect from forwards
Perhaps if you read and contemplate it will seem less irrational. You didn't even watch the vid, which implies you aren't interested in information that might challenge your opinion, but I'll respond anyway.

First, Purcell is not consistent. Last year he had 28 points in the first 48 games. Then he wakes up and scores 37 in the last 31 games. I remember his effort level roughly matching his point production, I was ready to trade him last year before he went on his tear.

This year he has 14 games without a point, just under half the games played, and 24 points in the other 15 games. So this year offensively, he's either great or nothing. And the video is example of how he doesn't offer a lot outside the offensive zone.

Second, I don't simply dislike Purcell. I think he'd be a top line player I love if he battled consistently, but he doesn't. Your question is not hard to answer - he's extremely talented but doesn't work hard consistently as his stats the last two years illustrate. I defer to his coach, Guy Boucher:

""Teddy is probably the most skilled player on our team," Boucher said. "In terms of pure skill, Purcell is unbelievable. He relies too much on his skill, and I want him to force himself and rely on battling more. When he does that he looks terrific out thre. When he doesn't we're missing a big part of our game we need to get.""

My last complaint about Purcell is his physical game, which is nonexistent while he's only 7 lbs lighter than Vinny, our leading hitter. Purcell has 9 hits on the season, Vinny has 60 and has been hobbled half the season. The only guys on the team with less hits are Bergeron, Tyrell, Johnson, and Mikkelson who collectively have played less games than Purcell. It's not that I want Purcell to play line a checking liner, it's just indicative of how weak his physical game is. I recently saw him give up the puck along out end boards as he jumped out of the way of a modest check attempt - not a Rinaldo flying in at light speed.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
This isn't about this year. This is about putting these guys on the ice IN SITUATIONS WHERE THEY CAN BE SUCCESSFUL, building their confidence and getting an exposure to the NHL game. That way when they return to Syracuse, they will know that they can play at a higher level and will know the areas of their game that they need to work on, in a less stressful environment. Look at how Tyrell used his time in the AHL. I have a feeling you are seeing the same things out of Panik, Wyman, Brown and Connolly. The worst thing they can do is put these guys out for 15 minutes a night, let them get their brains beat in when they are tired and return wondering if they have the ability to progress.
I just have a tough time throwing away a season, I want wins, and I see the talent, and I want to go on a tear and make the playoffs. Maybe it's not the best idea, but playing Thompson and Brewer and Carle as much as they are with the results they are getting is really frustrating me. You guys are probably right, doesn't change my anger at the idea of planning for the future instead of playing for now.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:46 PM

Any word on a hearing for Rinaldo?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:47 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
The future is bright, and we are all preening our BP codpieces in unabashed pride because this why we run a prospects site
Kind of glad I missed the meeting where those were getting handed out
Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 PM

Default Remember

Does anyone remember when we got our last PP the announcers saying that there was a roughing penalty called against the cryers and then that they also called a penalty for too many men on the ice? I remember thinking we should have gotten a 5/3 and was really surprised we didnot and never heard any explanation for what happened. Did I mishear them or did they just make another, in a long line of, mistakes.