BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 03-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Barry Melrose's Hairstylist

[quote=KyleFreadrich43;142673]Funny....it seemed like Aulie was confused at what to do, and then when he went down, didn't get back up to continue to fight. Clarkson shouldn't do that to a guy that big.

You need to watch the video again:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/116519

He is trying to get back up while Clarkson is trying wrestling moves to keep him from getting back up. Aulie is trying to get back up the whole time and when he is finally able both refs are there tying both guys up. Hockeyfights has it 45% Clarkson win, 41% draw. It probably should be much higher for Clarkson since he actually got a punch off, but it's clear he wants the fight to end then and there in the video and I imagine that is hurting his score.

I haven't seen enough of Aulie in fights to know if he's good or not, but you seem very biased against him in your comments. It's not surprising to me Aulie didn't entertain him more afterward with how desperate the Lightning were for a win and how desperate the Devils were for momentum in this game. You have to consider the context of the game, the players usually do. How would Aulie fighting Clarkson again help his team? What if he tries and Clarkson doesn't entertain him - power play Devils. I've seen that trick more than once. We had the momentum for most of the game, we didn't need him to fight.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpin View Post
What a freaking joke this is, the worst officials in pro sports.
If points are awarded for Understatement of Undebatable Accuracy, this wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
Fine, they called 2 for charging (not 5 for elbowing, but hey, who cares about some rookie, right?). How does he not get another call for throwing off his gloves and throwing punches? You know the worst part? We have nobody to beat the crap out of him for that. Nobody to defend our little guy
Though we DO have someone now, and he's done acceptably well or better in 3 of 3 games. So what gives??? I tell ya, hockey ain't what it used to be...

Aside from that, it is inconceivable that this jerk Jansen does not get additional discipline after he "skated" on that play. There wasn't a real fight as there should have been, so the way I see it...two for charging, two for interference, two for unsportsmanlike (dropping gloves), two for roughing and ten for being a dickhole would have been OK for starters. After that, since the hit was unquestionably headhunting (Jansen knows he has four to five inches' height advantage on Conacher, so why the leap? Headhunter) on an unsuspecting player who was not the puck carrier, whom he had time to dodge; no attempt made to stop or decelerate prior to impact; principal point of contact was simultaneously the head and chest...given that there was no (apparent) injury, it wasn't from behind, and he used the shoulder, I'd say three to five games' suspension plus a fine (since he got off so easy in-game) would be appropriate. Amazing that Shanahan, who's usually pretty level-headed IMO, saw this so completely differently

It's worth mention that the rules provide for a double minor or even a major when infractions are particularly violent or flamboyant as was Jansen's--even when no EXTERNAL injury, e.g., blood, bone projecting through skin, chunks of brain tissue splattered on boards, or head rolling across ice, is immediately visible. The purpose of this obscure provision of the rules is to prevent escalating levels of force being employed by perpetrators of illegal acts. (Of course, calling the pair of minors would necessitate the ref having a pair of testicles, so that explains the rarity.)

Last edited by Top Shelf; 03-06-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

[quote=Pat664422;142685]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
Funny....it seemed like Aulie was confused at what to do, and then when he went down, didn't get back up to continue to fight. Clarkson shouldn't do that to a guy that big.

You need to watch the video again:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/116519

He is trying to get back up while Clarkson is trying wrestling moves to keep him from getting back up. Aulie is trying to get back up the whole time and when he is finally able both refs are there tying both guys up. Hockeyfights has it 45% Clarkson win, 41% draw. It probably should be much higher for Clarkson since he actually got a punch off, but it's clear he wants the fight to end then and there in the video and I imagine that is hurting his score.

I haven't seen enough of Aulie in fights to know if he's good or not, but you seem very biased against him in your comments. It's not surprising to me Aulie didn't entertain him more afterward with how desperate the Lightning were for a win and how desperate the Devils were for momentum in this game. You have to consider the context of the game, the players usually do. How would Aulie fighting Clarkson again help his team? What if he tries and Clarkson doesn't entertain him - power play Devils. I've seen that trick more than once. We had the momentum for most of the game, we didn't need him to fight.
I'll agree with him trying to get up then.

I'm not inclined to home team bias in my reviews.

Do you think the Devils got more momentum if Aulie would have actually FOUGHT him, or do you think the Devils got more momentum from the midget knocking Aulie over?

If he didn't want to take the chance on a momentum swing, then DON'T FIGHT....skate away.

They dropped their gloves/glove at the same time, how did he NOT KNOW what was happening?
Old 03-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Barry Melrose's Hairstylist

[quote=KyleFreadrich43;142689]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat664422 View Post

I'll agree with him trying to get up then.

I'm not inclined to home team bias in my reviews.

Do you think the Devils got more momentum if Aulie would have actually FOUGHT him, or do you think the Devils got more momentum from the midget knocking Aulie over?

If he didn't want to take the chance on a momentum swing, then DON'T FIGHT....skate away.

They dropped their gloves/glove at the same time, how did he NOT KNOW what was happening?
I agree he should have either committed one way or the other, I don't really know what he was doing either, but it apparently wasn't fighting. By committing to not fighting, he would have denied them any potential boost from it, but perhaps it's easier said then done after being checked and then repeatedly antagonized, even if he knew he shouldn't fight a that time.