BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The BP Front Page

Old 01-06-2013, 03:25 PM
BP Staff

Default Lightning Roster Predictions

With the NHL and NHLPA coming to an agreement last night, it’s time to take a peak at what the Lightning might look like when the season starts in a couple weeks.

I was asked on Twitter this week how I thought the Lightning would fare in a shortened season. My answer is three fold:

1. Goaltending
2. Special teams
3. How quickly the team gels

http://www.boltprospects.com/content...er-predictions
Old 01-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

That sounds about right, but man if the goaltending and PP are really improved the sky is the limit in a short sprint, IMO.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Default Right

I agree Hoek, we have to come out of the gate at full speed, as Chad pointed out. We can't take prisoners, the PP and PK have to click so work hard in a short camp guys.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:58 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

I'd hate to point out the obvious, but I think that's the same for the other 29 teams as well.

I'd be more worried about how players deal with intercontinental jetlag, how many players do you risk calling up from the AHL, and do you take the chance of bringing any of the draft picks over, to either play on the Lightning or fill spots in the AHL. Again, this is something almost all teams will have to deal with to some degree.

1. How many players come up from the AHL (do you risk ruining their chemistry for a shortened season?)
2. Do you give guys like Koekkoek or Kucherov a shot? (his Petes team isn't lighting the OHL on fire, do you give him 9 games to try out, and get the experience in now, or wait till next year.?)
3. How will the goalies adjust to the time change? We've seen the lag teams have been hit with when they take a prolonged trip overseas to start the season, it takes them as many as 3-4 weeks to hit their stride). Garon hasn't been playing at all, and Lindback has been playing overseas.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Angry bring the kids up

My opinion is if I'm going to have to watch mediocre play from the 'pros' who have not been working out and they are marginal at best then I see lot's of upside to having players who are FIT AND READY to play with an added incentive to kick butt in the NHL.

Killorn, Panik, Gudas are my choices to make the team. That fills a void with a north south guy Killorn, tough as nails and a real freaking sniper Panik and a no holds barred Gudas wacking a few of those frequent flyers into the boards with a beautiful body and hip check.

I don't think we need baberio at this time I'd let him finish the year. And for those who are worried about the PP. Left Connolly take the point as he has in Syracuse with lots of damage both scoring and creating plays. He is by far leaps and bounds ahead of Hedman at this time and has learned responsibility for his position. (I understand Hedman manned the PP in Europe - let's hope that is the case and he's ready) for a decent break out year.

I hate the fact we are going to see third rate hockey from a bunch of prima donna's who have sat on their collective butts over the summer. So at least let us have a shot with the young legs who have been playing hard and want nothing more than to have their stars shine in the NHL.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbolt View Post
I hate the fact we are going to see third rate hockey from a bunch of prima donna's who have sat on their collective butts over the summer.
Fact? That's one hell of an assumption.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:49 PM
BP Staff

I'd be shocked if Boucher allowed that to happen. Lockout or no lockout, I have a feeling he's been working in the lab the last 3 months.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

I've no doubt Boucher has been working. Caught site of a couple bolts locally and they sure do not look to be in playing shape. Vinny, Marty, Malone, Brewer, Bergeron all a bit up in years for hockey players to mention and a few are not in game shape. They are 30 - 45 days away. As elude to by others there will be a boatload of cheap lazy fouls - Percy been out there fishing slinging his pole much like the ole we see on his big skates.
I would rather have the kids in place, in shape, hard skating wanting to prove they belong. Panik, Palat, Gudas, Connacher, Killorn and Barberio all deserve shots to fill the empty slots and they are in game shape.

IMHO the teams who come out with the best in shape players will be getting to the dance. I'm just not sure our set of whiners are in shape to play and that could lead to many of those oh I'm tired groin, muscle, back strains which seem to plague a couple of our boy wonders.

We shall see real soon.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Very odd post, Goldie. Seems you are thinking today's pro athlete is like the pros of the 1960s and earlier. There may be a few out of shape on each team. This will be a league wide problem, not one specific to the Lightning "prima donnas".
Old 01-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbolt View Post
Caught site of a couple bolts locally and they sure do not look to be in playing shape. Vinny, Marty, Malone, Brewer, Bergeron all a bit up in years for hockey players to mention and a few are not in game shape. They are 30 - 45 days away.
You say this as if they're a bunch of Kyle Wellwoods.