BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 12-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankova...#axzz2ENFabrLf

Pretty good read out of Pittsburgh
Old 12-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

How is there any legitimacy to the season even if they do save part of it? Is anyone jacked up through the roof to throw on an NHL logo jersey and go drop major coin? Think Stamkos might net 60 or Marty will post another 100-point campaign? Any abortive season the league sleepwalks through will be just a thinly veiled excuse to have playoffs, so the owners can reap pure profit. [Hey geniuses--here's a wild-ass idea. How about you allllll get together for once....and tell the drooling agents in their $1800 suits what their clients are really worth, and if they don't like it they can go fuck themselves--and just bring in the next crop of hungry, pro-level hockey players, who will think it's just dandy to make a quarter million bucks instead of their usual 40 grand? I'd pay (the vastly reduced ticket prices) to go see those games, I guarantee.]

All these repeated lockouts do is reinforce how overpriced the product is, how overpaid the players are are and what a-holes the men are (other than Jeff Vinik) who run the show. I'd almost rather watch minor-league or junior hockey where every shift could be the guys' last, and they play with that passion that...wait for it...supersedes money. *gasp*

If Lizard Lick Towing or Honey Boo Boo isn't on, I might watch on TV....

Thanks NHL and NHLPA for making us not give a flying crap about our former favorite thing. May you all contract a revolting, smelly skin disorder.

Last edited by Top Shelf; 12-07-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
How is there any legitimacy to the season even if they do save part of it? Is anyone jacked up through the roof to throw on an NHL logo jersey and go drop major coin? Think Stamkos might net 60 or Marty will post another 100-point campaign? Any abortive season the league sleepwalks through will be just a thinly veiled excuse to have playoffs, so the owners can reap pure profit. [Hey geniuses--here's a wild-ass idea. How about you allllll get together for once....and tell the drooling agents in their $1800 suits what their clients are really worth, and if they don't like it they can go fuck themselves--and just bring in the next crop of hungry, pro-level hockey players, who will think it's just dandy to make a quarter million bucks instead of their usual 40 grand? I'd pay (the vastly reduced ticket prices) to go see those games, I guarantee.]

All these repeated lockouts do is reinforce how overpriced the product is, how overpaid the players are are and what a-holes the men are (other than Jeff Vinik) who run the show. I'd almost rather watch minor-league or junior hockey where every shift could be the guys' last, and they play with that passion that...wait for it...supersedes money. *gasp*

If Lizard Lick Towing or Honey Boo Boo isn't on, I might watch on TV....

Thanks NHL and NHLPA for making us not give a flying crap about our former favorite thing. May you all contract a revolting, smelly skin disorder.
Yes.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Default Sad

How sad. They had a deal. From what I read the PA wanted Don in to close the deal and Bettman got mad. Yeah it does look bad for both sides but the majority is on Bettman. It would not surprise me to find out that Jacobs was behind this either.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Cooper's Law

I don't know how you can say this is on Bettman when the owners made all the concessions yesterday. The PA may have wanted a deal but their lead a hole told them that if they would hold out some more that he could get them a better deal. Fehr must have watched Animal House, "you f'd up, you trusted me."
Old 12-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Hey geniuses--here's a wild-ass idea. How about you allllll get together for once....and tell the drooling agents in their $1800 suits what their clients are really worth, and if they don't like it they can go fuck themselves
Because that's called collusion, and it's illegal.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Default Advice

The players have the right to ask the advice of the guy they hired to take them through this process, a process that they as a group are overmatched going up against businessmen who do this for a living. If you hire a lawyer to give you advice you should make use of that advice.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Cooper's Law

Of course they do. But he gave them awful advice yesterday, in my opinion. The deal was there for the taking and Fehr turned it down. Wouldn't surprise me if Fehr did it on purpose so that he can go for decertification. Not because its in the best interest of the players, but so he can try new legal ground.

This is the guy who sacrificed the World Series. He'll do anything to feed his ego.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:33 AM
John Tortorella's Doghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Of course they do. But he gave them awful advice yesterday, in my opinion. The deal was there for the taking and Fehr turned it down. Wouldn't surprise me if Fehr did it on purpose so that he can go for decertification. Not because its in the best interest of the players, but so he can try new legal ground.

This is the guy who sacrificed the World Series. He'll do anything to feed his ego.
I agree with you, but I have to admit there's definitely a reward alongside the risk with Fehr - maybe the players get a 5 percent better deal in 2 weeks because the owners think Fehr's just crazy enough to bring this in front of an unpredictable federal judge.

Then again, maybe he just blew up the season.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Zo View Post
Because that's called collusion, and it's illegal.
I was wondering who'd jump on that first. Well done, right you are, Zo, and I knew that when I used the wording I did. So now that I'm not ranting, what I could say is that they could put in the CBA that (players currently under contract excepted) nobody can make more than two million dollars a year until further notice because it's gotten completely out of hand. You're still making millions more over your career than if you'd stayed on the farm or opened a Subway, boys, so calm down. But they wouldn't; the union would immediately explode; which is when you start a new league from scratch with an average salary of about $200k (cardiothoracic surgeon money after malpractice premiums, not exactly peanuts) and $2M as the top salary, since this sport...say it with me in unison, owners...just...isn't... as popular...in the US...as ...the others....with the huge TV contracts.

It's either that, or we're saying this sport just can't be done on the elite pro level here. And you know what? I bet lots of folks would prefer watching minor-league talent that still brought insane skills and excitement to the ice and cared more about playing the game for a very healthy yet sustainable, top 1% salary than about hitting the lotto every year in terms of compensation--a game the people actually get to go and see, instead of what we now have.

Last edited by Top Shelf; 12-08-2012 at 09:11 AM.