BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
I agree with just about everything that is being tossed about here. I like J.T. Brown. He shoots the damn puck. I think our top six looks good, our 8 dmen are set and we still need offense from our third line. I would hate to go into this season without a replacement for Dominic Moore. He did a lot of little things right (leadership, defense, getting under opponents' skin) AND could pop 35-40 points. What other centers are available?

Just please, please don't be suckered by Gilbert "Creme" Brule! He shows up once every three years to fool GMs into thinking he belongs in the NHL. He's a classic tweener who has never proven he can produce in a third-line role and isn't consistent enough in ANY role. I'd rather the Bolts address third-line center from within and sign a big, productive, tough power forward like Jeff Fehr than waste our time with Brule.

I also like the idea of one of the AHL kids giving Connolly a run for a roster spot. I'm just not sold on Connolly (still smarting over Jeff Skinner) and would like to see him pushed.
I would be fine with either, but Brule has an aggressive forechecking style that I like on the lower lines.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:11 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Just please, please don't be suckered by Gilbert "Creme" Brule! He shows up once every three years to fool GMs into thinking he belongs in the NHL. He's a classic tweener who has never proven he can produce in a third-line role and isn't consistent enough in ANY role.
He presumably would cost very little, considering he's still looking for work, and if he doesn't pan out you send him to Syracuse.

The problem is Tyler Johnson's probably your best option at center from within the system right now. I don't share the concerns about Killorn's skating, but I do think he's better suited to play wing in the pro given the north-south style he plays, and Namestnikov is still a year or two away. Mind you, Johnson's got Ferrari caliber speed, but he weighs like 5 pounds.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
The problem is Tyler Johnson's probably your best option at center from within the system right now. I don't share the concerns about Killorn's skating, but I do think he's better suited to play wing in the pro given the north-south style he plays, and Namestnikov is still a year or two away. Mind you, Johnson's got Ferrari caliber speed, but he weighs like 5 pounds.
I do respect the speed that Johnson brings to the party however, I think if you are looking for the 3rd/4th line types Killorn is a much better fit. You want someone IMHO who can do a little banging in the corners and give you some grit nothing fancy North/South movement and dependable defensively he fits that mold perfectly. TJ-Brown and Tyler Johnson both will bring speed but lack the grinding grit that you would need from them to wear the other teams down.

My dream 3rd line - Palat, Killorn and Panik. Sufficient speed, size, scoring and defensive want too to really wear down the other teams. Think of the Devils, LA, Rags and others who use the third line for setting the tone during a game. This young group of kids would sure do that.

Note that Connolly is not the one leaving camp this year. He has been under the tutelage of one Mr. Stamkos and Roberts and I do expect him to be much improved come camp time. That would be both on the physical and mental side of what it take's to succeed in the NHL.

Lot's to like with the direction of the team with several players looking like they are on the cusp of a good year.

There is still a rumor that Ryan from the Ducks could be in the wind for the Bolts have you heard anything from your contacts?

Go Bolts
Old 07-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Send a message via AIM to Maverick9911

Quote:
There is still a rumor that Ryan from the Ducks could be in the wind for the Bolts have you heard anything from your contacts?
I worry Philly will be driving up the price big time, especially if these rumors about them offering nine figures to Parise are to be believed.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbolt View Post

Go Bolts
Source?

There's also one of Luongo for Lecavalier, and Yzerman being okay with it....but then I consider the source
Old 07-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Oren Koules' Pocket Comb

Default I would wait on Dana T to prove

he is gonna be back by the time camp starts... Really pushing for a truly optimal recovery in that time frame. I think he will be outplayed early until he gets the legs and lungs back which begs the question of earning your spot by meritocracy, potential or what. Each game in October carries the same weight as each game in April and I just don't think Dana can be back to his best til at least December and more like February. Yes, he will be functional but not fully recovered and do we have the luxury of letting him play his way into shape? We did with Vinny L, but the roster is crowded with lots of talent equal to Dana and we need to show something to prospects that confirms you can reach the NHL thru the farm system.

I think we save wiggle room under the cap or designated cap number for Tampa and let the other rosters around the league shake out before we procure any more talent. Will there then be a better fit, more economical acquisition available? probably. Ryan types are exceptions to that thought.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick9911 View Post
I worry Philly will be driving up the price big time, especially if these rumors about them offering nine figures to Parise are to be believed.
Seems that they are purging Philly of there good players. I do wonder if the trio who ended up in LA are happy or sad that they left the brotherly love domain.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolts37205 View Post
he is gonna be back by the time camp starts... Really pushing for a truly optimal recovery in that time frame. I think he will be outplayed early until he gets the legs and lungs back which begs the question of earning your spot by meritocracy, potential or what. Each game in October carries the same weight as each game in April and I just don't think Dana can be back to his best til at least December and more like February. Yes, he will be functional but not fully recovered and do we have the luxury of letting him play his way into shape? We did with Vinny L, but the roster is crowded with lots of talent equal to Dana and we need to show something to prospects that confirms you can reach the NHL thru the farm system.

I think we save wiggle room under the cap or designated cap number for Tampa and let the other rosters around the league shake out before we procure any more talent. Will there then be a better fit, more economical acquisition available? probably. Ryan types are exceptions to that thought.

I agree with the Dana being ready at best in the December time frame. He has not skated full tilt yet as he mentioned in his brief interview on the Lightning site. He is hoping that things will be better come the September time frame. I fully expect 9 months for recovery - he is not in desperate need put him IR send him down to the AHL for a get me ready stint Dec/Jan then if he is better than anyone else he is vying for position wise then you use him or he becomes one of the sitters in the room.

Go Bolts
Old 07-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
There is absolutely no way that you win a bidding war for Brown and as part of the offer to Brown was to let the remainder of the 2011-12 season count for the first of a two-year ELC -- and then you send him him to AHL for the only season you have to evaluate him before you have to re-sign.

There's no way Brown isn't on the NHL roster.
Absolutely agree. In hiis 5 game "audition" late last year he played well considering the circumstances and with a full off-season I see no way he isn't with Bolts.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbolt View Post
Note that Connolly is not the one leaving camp this year. He has been under the tutelage of one Mr. Stamkos and Roberts and I do expect him to be much improved come camp time. That would be both on the physical and mental side of what it take's to succeed in the NHL.

Go Bolts
Agreed. I have to think building off his "better" final 15 games of last season and a full off-season of hard work his play will be more consistent and just plain better. I'm sure this won't be well received but I for one would not be shocked if he plays his way into the top 6.