BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 05-19-2012, 01:28 PM
pete's Avatar
pete pete is offline
BP Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,804
Default

My philosophy, for this draft, is that there's quality d-men all the way down in the 3rd round. So, if there's a goaltender you believe will be an NHLer sitting at 19 (hell, if there's one sitting there at 10), given the scarcity of them, pull the trigger. If that's Vasilievski, if that's Dansk, pull the trigger. Get our Schneider/Bernier now.

I'm of the mind, right now, that if all the picks are kept I'm taking the best d-man available at 10, and Vasilievski or Dansk at 19, and then I'm thinking about packaging my high 2nds to move back up into the late 1st round and take yet another d-man. A great draft, for me, would be getting out of the first with Reinhart/Trouba/Ceci, Vasilievski/Dansk, and then stealing a guy like Dalton Thrower or Jordan Schmaltz later in the 1st.

Have you ever seen this many good right d-men in one place in your entire life? I sure haven't.
__________________
S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2013-2014: 25+2
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 05-19-2012, 02:41 PM
RSchmitz's Avatar
RSchmitz RSchmitz is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
My philosophy, for this draft, is that there's quality d-men all the way down in the 3rd round. So, if there's a goaltender you believe will be an NHLer sitting at 19 (hell, if there's one sitting there at 10), given the scarcity of them, pull the trigger. If that's Vasilievski, if that's Dansk, pull the trigger. Get our Schneider/Bernier now.

I'm of the mind, right now, that if all the picks are kept I'm taking the best d-man available at 10, and Vasilievski or Dansk at 19, and then I'm thinking about packaging my high 2nds to move back up into the late 1st round and take yet another d-man. A great draft, for me, would be getting out of the first with Reinhart/Trouba/Ceci, Vasilievski/Dansk, and then stealing a guy like Dalton Thrower or Jordan Schmaltz later in the 1st.

Have you ever seen this many good right d-men in one place in your entire life? I sure haven't.
Agree with the assessment disagree with the course of action. If there are so many good dmen, then we should trade down or sit tight. Definitely not reach for a goalie.
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 05-19-2012, 05:10 PM
thefly's Avatar
thefly thefly is offline
Mattias Ohlund's Retirement Plans
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
My philosophy, for this draft, is that there's quality d-men all the way down in the 3rd round. So, if there's a goaltender you believe will be an NHLer sitting at 19 (hell, if there's one sitting there at 10), given the scarcity of them, pull the trigger. If that's Vasilievski, if that's Dansk, pull the trigger. Get our Schneider/Bernier now.

I'm of the mind, right now, that if all the picks are kept I'm taking the best d-man available at 10, and Vasilievski or Dansk at 19, and then I'm thinking about packaging my high 2nds to move back up into the late 1st round and take yet another d-man. A great draft, for me, would be getting out of the first with Reinhart/Trouba/Ceci, Vasilievski/Dansk, and then stealing a guy like Dalton Thrower or Jordan Schmaltz later in the 1st.

Have you ever seen this many good right d-men in one place in your entire life? I sure haven't.
amen
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:41 PM
pete's Avatar
pete pete is offline
BP Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,804
Default

Quote:
Definitely not reach for a goalie.
I don't believe Vasilievski or Dansk is a reach, and you still get more goalies from the top-60 picks in the NHL draft than anywhere else.

We sit around and complain the Lightning have never developed an NHL starting goaltender, but we've only used a top-60 pick on one something like twice (Moss and Helenius, were there ever any others?) in, what, 19 drafts now?
__________________
S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2013-2014: 25+2
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 05-19-2012, 09:31 PM
RSchmitz's Avatar
RSchmitz RSchmitz is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I don't believe Vasilievski or Dansk is a reach, and you still get more goalies from the top-60 picks in the NHL draft than anywhere else.

We sit around and complain the Lightning have never developed an NHL starting goaltender, but we've only used a top-60 pick on one something like twice (Moss and Helenius, were there ever any others?) in, what, 19 drafts now?
Well, we both know that is just because historically goalies aren't picked high, since they take so long to develop and are very hard to project, and its 19 positions to fill vs 2. I was under the impression that most of the scouting sites had this years goaltenders outside the first round. I'm not against drafting a goalie so long as its BPA
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 05-19-2012, 09:59 PM
pete's Avatar
pete pete is offline
BP Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,804
Default

The only consensus first round goaltender was Vasilievski, BUT that was before Dansk did so well right up until the final game at the U18's, and the U18's have a way of pushing goalies into the first round (see Helenius, Riku).

I get the THN article's point that your hit rate on goalies is lower than on skaters because of the time to develop them. Guess what? Your hit rate on d-men is lower than forwards for the exact same reason. Nobody's making the argument you should take forwards over d-men in the first round, though.

Your best chance, statistically, of getting a good NHL player at forward, defenseman, OR goaltender is still taking one in the top-60 picks, and the best odds of all are taking one in the first round.

You want to fix the goaltending position long-term? Draft at least one goaltender in the top-60 picks, and if your scouts seriously believe Vasilievski or Dansk is the real thing, use a first rounder on them. Get the next generation of Cory Schneider or Jonathan Bernier for your long-term health if you can't engineer a trade to get one of them now.

Worst-case scenario, if Tokarski or Helenius pan out ahead of them, you have an asset you can trade for a king's ransom, because nothing's more valuable than a good young goaltender. It's the closest thing in sports to the value of a good NFL quarterback, because it means that much to your franchise's ability to succeed.
__________________
S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2013-2014: 25+2
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 05-19-2012, 10:45 PM
ChaseSpace's Avatar
ChaseSpace ChaseSpace is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Williston, FL
Posts: 4,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post

I get the THN article's point that your hit rate on goalies is lower than on skaters because of the time to develop them. Guess what? Your hit rate on d-men is lower than forwards for the exact same reason. Nobody's making the argument you should take forwards over d-men in the first round, though.

Your best chance, statistically, of getting a good NHL player at forward, defenseman, OR goaltender is still taking one in the top-60 picks, and the best odds of all are taking one in the first round.

You want to fix the goaltending position long-term? Draft at least one goaltender in the top-60 picks, and if your scouts seriously believe Vasilievski or Dansk is the real thing, use a first rounder on them. Get the next generation of Cory Schneider or Jonathan Bernier for your long-term health if you can't engineer a trade to get one of them now.
I agree with all of this.
__________________
Gudas Priest
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 05-20-2012, 10:45 AM
ChaseSpace's Avatar
ChaseSpace ChaseSpace is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Williston, FL
Posts: 4,456
Default

I know we need D but if Grigorenko falls(a lot of writers are saying there's a good chance he will be the one to fall) do we take him?
__________________
Gudas Priest
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 05-20-2012, 11:18 AM
RSchmitz's Avatar
RSchmitz RSchmitz is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSpace View Post
I know we need D but if Grigorenko falls(a lot of writers are saying there's a good chance he will be the one to fall) do we take him?
Hellz yeah, or see if somebody is going to overpay to move up and get him.
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 05-20-2012, 03:30 PM
pete's Avatar
pete pete is offline
BP Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,804
Default

If I have to gamble, Galchenyuk is the one I want, not Grigorenko.
__________________
S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2013-2014: 25+2
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2008, BoltProspects.com. All Rights Reserved.