BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Talk

Old 03-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Manon Rheaume Lookalike

She's a fighter and she called him out. Caraway is obviously an emotional guy, and when his girlfriend is involved in the biggest fight of her life and is getting trash talked I could understand him being upset. Rousey then decided to bring Caraway into the discussion and he responded. This seems to be viewed like domestic abuse by a man on a woman, rather than a fighter responding to another after being challenged. Caraway continually called the situation a "joke" (not in the ha ha sense, but rather to say a woman challenging a man is absurd). He then went on to say what he thinks would happen in a hypothetical situation, and from there it escalated thanks to people harassing him and repeating the threats Rousey made.

Caraway was put in a situation that understandably triggered a lot of emotion. I wouldn't have handled it like he did, but I really don't see the big deal here.

Last edited by Bouché; 03-05-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouché View Post
She's a fighter and she called him out. Caraway is obviously an emotional guy, and when his girlfriend is involved in the biggest fight of her life and is getting trash talked I could understand him being upset. Rousey then decided to bring Caraway into the discussion and he responded. This seems to be viewed like domestic abuse by a man on a woman, rather than a fighter responding to another after being challenged. Caraway continually called the situation a "joke" (not in the ha ha sense, but rather to say a woman challenging a man is absurd). He then went on to say what he thinks would happen in a hypothetical situations, and from there is escalated thanks to people harassing him and repeating the threats Rousey made.

Caraway was put in a situation that understandably triggered a lot of emotion. I wouldn't have handled it like he did, but I really don't see the big deal here.
Yeah, she was pushing his buttons (more specifically, Tate's to get her off her game). All that is correct, except I will say you can't defend Carraway calling it a "joke" and then blame Rousey when she said it while she was laughing. You either say it was no joke, Carrway is completely wrong for what he said, or you say they were both joking around about it and it doesn't mean much. But he got challenged by a fighter, come on. She said she could take him, she's cocky and brash. He responded cause Tate got crushed, and then escalated to "I'll knock her teeth down her throat and break her arm." to a girl, who FYI, had nothing to do with what was going on with the Twitter crap. You can try and say fighter challenging a fighter, but it's not true. There is a reason Women and Men's MMA are different sports. Sorry, if the guy can't handle it, get off of twitter. This whole knowing her place he kept preaching, give me a break. If I had a girl punch me, I'm not punching her back. Restrain, sure, but I'm not "knocking her teeth down her throat and breaking her arm," let alone if she just said she could beat me, nor am I insecure enough that I need to respond to it with any words except LOL.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Manon Rheaume Lookalike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
Yeah, she was pushing his buttons (more specifically, Tate's to get her off her game). All that is correct, except I will say you can't defend Carraway calling it a "joke" and then blame Rousey when she said it while she was laughing. You either say it was no joke, Carrway is completely wrong for what he said, or you say they were both joking around about it and it doesn't mean much. But he got challenged by a fighter, come on. She said she could take him, she's cocky and brash. He responded cause Tate got crushed, and then escalated to "I'll knock her teeth down her throat and break her arm." to a girl, who FYI, had nothing to do with what was going on with the Twitter crap. You can try and say fighter challenging a fighter, but it's not true. There is a reason Women and Men's MMA are different sports. Sorry, if the guy can't handle it, get off of twitter. This whole knowing her place he kept preaching, give me a break. If I had a girl punch me, I'm not punching her back. Restrain, sure, but I'm not "knocking her teeth down her throat and breaking her arm," let alone if she just said she could beat me, nor am I insecure enough that I need to respond to it with any words except LOL.
Caraway responded to her before the fight happened and he hasn't said anything that would lead me to believe he's talking about a non-hypothetical situation. It has been blown way out of proportion.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 AM

Bendo/Edgar II is confirmed. Won't catch me watching it. Edgar got beat, and this rematch is a joke. UFC needs to stop with all these stupid immediate rematches unless it was a clear bad decision (Machida/Shogun) or a Draw.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Manon Rheaume Lookalike

I disagree. I thought this fight could have gone either way (I was actually leaning toward Edgar), and it was an entertaining one at that (according to most people anyway). Edgar has done a ton for the UFC and has never had an issue with rematching fighters he previously beat. He's a humble guy who puts on great fights and has a ton of heart, so I think if anybody deserves a rematch it's him. I don't get behind all of the proposed rematches (i.e Condit/Diaz), but in this case I think it's deserved. That weight class is absolutely stacked as it is, and this will provide more time to figure out who should be next in line.

In other news, Antonio Silva will be making his UFC debut against Roy Nelson at UFC 146, which will feature a main event between Junior Dos Santos and Allistair Overeem.

Edit-Now Mir/Velasquez has been added to the same card. This is going to be a big one, literally. Here's what it looks like so far.

Champ Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem (for heavyweight title)
Frank Mir vs. Cain Velasquez
Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham
Roy Nelson vs. Antonio Silva
Dan Hardy vs. Duane "Bang" Ludwig
Diego Brandao vs. Darren Elkins
C.B. Dollaway vs. Jason "Mayhem" Miller
Shane Del Rosario vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
Kyle Kingsbury vs. Glover Teixeira
Paul Sass vs. Jacob Volkmann

Last edited by Bouché; 03-07-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I disagree. I thought this fight could have gone either way (I was actually leaning toward Edgar), and it was an entertaining one at that (according to most people anyway). Edgar has done a ton for the UFC and has never had an issue with rematching fighters he previously beat. He's a humble guy who puts on great fights and has a ton of heart, so I think if anybody deserves a rematch it's him. I don't get behind all of the proposed rematches (i.e Condit/Diaz), but in this case I think it's deserved. That weight class is absolutely stacked as it is, and this will provide more time to figure out who should be next in line.

In other news, Antonio Silva will be making his UFC debut against Roy Nelson at UFC 146, which will feature a main event between Junior Dos Santos and Allistair Overeem.
No, it was an exciting fight, not denying that. I just don't think he deserves the rematch. I thought Bendo tooled on him, and most places I have read with MMA insiders who post their scores had Bendo winning. This wasn't a Shogun case. I like Edgar, nothing against the guy. But there are virtually no people claiming Edgar won that fight who aren't a fan of either fighter, and to me, that is the only reason for rematch. Just because he gave out rematches means nothing. I mean, BJ Penn had some controversy (I actually didn't like the rematch), but a lot of people wrote it off as him not taking Edgar seriously. The Maynard fight ended in a draw, meaning Edgar was 0-1-1 against Maynard and had the belt, there had to be a rematch. I just think this is getting ridiculous that everyone is getting rematches without earning them. Just because you lost the belt doesn't give you a rematch. Not to mention, Edgar fights are always going 5 rounds. Usually exciting rounds, but man, you need to pencil in 30 minutes for every edgar fight.

I saw that fight. Also hear that Cain/Mir may be on that same card (original rumors had it on the Cruz/Faber fight, which would have been smart cause they can't headline alone). Could be a killer summer.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Manon Rheaume Lookalike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
No, it was an exciting fight, not denying that. I just don't think he deserves the rematch. I thought Bendo tooled on him, and most places I have read with MMA insiders who post their scores had Bendo winning. This wasn't a Shogun case. I like Edgar, nothing against the guy. But there are virtually no people claiming Edgar won that fight who aren't a fan of either fighter, and to me, that is the only reason for rematch. Just because he gave out rematches means nothing. I mean, BJ Penn had some controversy (I actually didn't like the rematch), but a lot of people wrote it off as him not taking Edgar seriously. The Maynard fight ended in a draw, meaning Edgar was 0-1-1 against Maynard and had the belt, there had to be a rematch. I just think this is getting ridiculous that everyone is getting rematches without earning them. Just because you lost the belt doesn't give you a rematch. Not to mention, Edgar fights are always going 5 rounds. Usually exciting rounds, but man, you need to pencil in 30 minutes for every edgar fight.

I saw that fight. Also hear that Cain/Mir may be on that same card (original rumors had it on the Cruz/Faber fight, which would have been smart cause they can't headline alone). Could be a killer summer.
I can't recall too many guys more deserving of a rematch, especially given the scoring system. On a damage done basis I understand giving it to Henderson, but almost every round other than the 2nd is debatable. For the record, I re-watched the fight a day later and thought Henderson winning was totally justified (not that I was shocked to see him win anyway, I had money on him). Initially though I thought Edgar had it. Regardless, this fight was very close, at least based on the scoring system. I don't really see the downside to the rematch either.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:12 PM

The UFC 146 Main Card has been filled out. All HW main card. Killer card.

Dos Santos/Overeem
Mir/CAin
Big Country/Bigfoot
Del Rosario/Gonzaga
Mark Hunt/Struve

Wow that is going to be killer. You have to think this is the shortest card ever. Should get some of the undercard with it, and there are some sweet undercard fights as well (Barboza/Dunham, Hardy/Band Ludwig, Dollaway/Mayhem). May can't come quick enough.

Also, I may be more excited for the next UFC on Fuel than UFC on Fox, though only because of the headliners. the Fox card has a killer main card with it (just like fuel).
Old 03-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Manon Rheaume Lookalike

It's a stacked card for sure. I'd rather see Barboza/Dunham on the main card though, but I'll be watching them anyways so I can't really complain. The McCall/Johnson rematch is being targeted for June 1st, at the TUF finale.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
It's a stacked card for sure. I'd rather see Barboza/Dunham on the main card though, but I'll be watching them anyways so I can't really complain. The McCall/Johnson rematch is being targeted for June 1st, at the TUF finale.
Yeah, I hear ya. But I think the complaint should be more that that fight should be on a different main card. The only one I could possibly see it over taking would be the Del Rosario/Gonzaga fight. But hey, at least it is on FX.