View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalski View Post
Who is the stud defenseman in the system right now? It was supposed to be Lashoff, supposed to be Mihalik, but I'm still not going to turn down a great defenseman that could be a top 4 guy in a few years.
That's a good question. I think if you poll me, Chad, and Pete, we all still probably think Ty Wishart is potential Top 4 guy -- maybe a top pair guy. But his development is coming along a little slower than first thought when acquired from the Sharks in the Boyle deal. Vlad Mihalik is another guy who has yo-yo'd the past couple seasons in and out of showing Top 4 upside. He committed himself to serious conditioning this past summer, and it has done wonders for his game. Everyone saw the potential in Matt Lashoff at the end of last season after the trade deadline deal for Recchi that brought him to Tampa. Is his potential anymore than a better skating Kurtis Foster, who is basically a Top 6 guy and 1st unit PP guy? Lashoff got off to a very slow start in Norfolk after not impressing in camp, and just recently has starting heating up.

All three of these guys are former 1st rounders and all have some potential to be Top 4 guys. I like Wishart the best of all three (and he is the highest ranked at BP -- a Top 5 prospect), but Mihalik and Lashoff are the closest to being NHL ready.