BoltProspects Community Forums

BoltProspects Community Forums (http://boltprospects.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Draft (http://boltprospects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   2019 NHL Draft (http://boltprospects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15129)

Derek28 06-12-2019 11:56 PM

2019 NHL Draft

Seems like a good time to get this up with the draft next week.

Here are our selections: (rd) pick number

(1) 27
(3) 89
(4) 120
(6) 182
(7) 198
(7) 213

aapbolt 06-14-2019 11:08 AM

Extra

Címon JBB try to grab a few more picks if you can!

dannybolt 06-14-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aapbolt (Post 241411)

Yeah, I think we're gonna be doing the opposite in our quest for cap space.

pete 06-14-2019 12:09 PM

Both of RLR's mock drafts had the Lightning taking mobile two-way d-men with their first rounder.

They need to get another goaltender in the system soon, though.

dannybolt 06-14-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 241414)
Both of RLR's mock drafts had the Lightning taking mobile two-way d-men with their first rounder.

They need to get another goaltender in the system soon, though.

Top-end D, but especially RHD with size, Center with size, Goalie are all needs I think.

WaiverWire 06-14-2019 02:38 PM

In the mock draft in The Athletic they had us taking Alex Vlasic from USNTDP-USHL. He just turned 18 and should grow into his 6'6" frame. He is listed as a left shot.

Kizman 06-14-2019 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aapbolt (Post 241411)

Would seem like moving down from 27 to acquire additional pick(s) might make most sense....Seems like a decent crop in the first 40 picks...also a few teams with multiple second rounders may wish to move up.

pete 06-15-2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaiverWire (Post 241424)
In the mock draft in The Athletic they had us taking Alex Vlasic from USNTDP-USHL. He just turned 18 and should grow into his 6'6" frame. He is listed as a left shot.

RLR speaks highly of him for his poise and two-way game. They compare him to Brandon Carlo, although they say he's a string bean who will take time to fill out.

RLR's first mock had us taking Matthew Robertson from Edmonton in the WHL. 6'3" 200 lbs. Lefty Colton Parayko type the said would be a steal they doubt actually slides to us.

Their second mock had us taking Tobias Bjornfot out of Djurgardens. 6'0" 196 lbs. lefty d-man they compared to Ivan Provorov. I'm skeptical they'd be that high on this guy because they do have a size range they prefer. He ain't it.

Top goaltender in the class is 31st ranked Spencer Knight of the USNTDP, who they compare to Martin Jones. He does fit the profile of what Frantz Jean likes, size-wise.

My knee-jerk prediction? A trade back into the second round to select goaltender Pyotr Kochetkov. 6'3" 205 lbs who they comp to Robin Lehner. The Lightning aren't scared off by Russians and aren't scared off by overagers, and he's both. Stepping up from the Sochi organization to SKA St. Petersburg's organization next year.

Kizman 06-16-2019 05:01 AM

Pete, that scenario makes sense as Knight most likely gone by 27 from what I read and couple that with the Bolts are short on picks. I say they move down into early second and pick up an additional pick...I also would expect a goalie drafted early, but haven't researched this years crop much at all. As a side note, maybe the Lightning ask for younger depth goaltenders in any trades they make leading up to/through the draft.

Kizman 06-16-2019 05:28 AM

Carolina, New Jersry and Detroit all have multiple second round picks as well as early second round picks. If they had interest in moving up to 27, Bolts could slide down a little, and hopefully grab Kotchekov there, but no guarantee the guy you want is there when you trade down, right?

My quick goalie research makes me feel like Kotchekov would be the only other guy that stands out close to Knight and then there are a bunch of potential guys with most being smaller guys.

My only slight disagreement with the Bolts going early on a goalie is that Vasy is young....and most likely we will have him in next for next 7-10 years barring injury. So, do they take a guy with tremendous upside to be a number one or do they grab a guy later who has upside but needs time to develop. The more I think about it, the more I think they draft a couple of goalies, but in rounds 3-7 and work to acquire depth via trades and free agent signings. Nice to have Domingue backing up Vasy, but need better 3rd and 4th options for immediate future, IMO

Donnie D 06-16-2019 09:17 AM

Unless he gets inj (canít say it) or wants stupid money.

pete 06-16-2019 10:42 AM

You always need to be cultivating the next wave of players at every position and especially goaltender, IMO.

RLR is high on a couple of other goalie prospects in this draft, but theyíre undersized for Frantzís ideal. Heís shown heíll take them smaller than ideal and work with them, though.

I just look at Kochetkov as filling what the Lightning need pretty neatly. Russian to mesh with Vasiy. Overage to make up in timeline for the gap we now have with Ingram bouncing out of here. If they could get him out of his deal with SKA they could bring him into Syracuse immediately even, although it seems like maybe heíd stay in Russia 1-2 more years. Perfect size for what Frantz Jean coaches. Need position. I know Murray swears thatís not how he makes decisions, but itís kind of perfect.

Kizman 06-17-2019 05:21 AM

In looking at Detroit generous supply of draft picks, I cannot help but think they would be the ideal trade partner for the Lightning, even without all the familiarity of management.

But TB holds pick 27

Detroit hold picks 35, 54, 60, 66

so it would seem that if Detroit had interest in moving up to 27, the Lightning could slide down to 35 and pick up say pick 60. Just a thought. But it seems like a possibility to me, just not sure what value you can put on moving up 8 picks...

aapbolt 06-18-2019 04:09 PM

Thoughts

Any thoughts on Ville Heinola of the Finnish team?

Kizman 06-18-2019 06:21 PM

Only know what I read. It would seem that the Bolts would be better off stockpiling RHD versus adding more LHD...A drop down into early second round to acquire additional pick/s would make sense as was stated before. A guy like Lassi Thompson could be there in round 2, and he is another Finn if I'm correct and is RHD.

BurnTHalO 06-18-2019 06:43 PM

I'd love if Suzuki or seider fell to us. But I doubt it. I think d is going to be hard to come by at that pick. I would guess poulin might be the pick. I could see them trading down if hes gone (along with some of the other dmen). Just how I see it right now. I like heinola, but not sure hes there either

Kizman 06-18-2019 06:52 PM

Well, it's hard to say for sure, but it seems like a fairly deep draft...at least the early part of round 2 sounds like there will be some really good players there. I just keep thinking that they will trade down. Wouldn't it be something if they traded up? Just dont invision any scenarios for that...but who knows.

Alex 06-18-2019 08:42 PM

I'm predicting Montepulciano, err, LW Robert Mastrisimone. According to Corey Pronman, he has all of the qualities the Lightning have drafted over the last bunch of years - puck skills, hockey sense, and works his butt off every night.

Quote:

Chicago Steel coach Greg Moore on Mastrosimone: “He’s got a great compete level. He empties the tank every night. He has a knack for creating. He also has an unbelievable shot.”
And, you know, he's 5'10", 170lbs. Right in the Lightning wheelhouse. I know JBB is not SFY but the former learned under the latter.

...now I want wine.

Kizman 06-18-2019 08:48 PM

Seems to me we cannot keep doing same thing over and over and expect to get a different result...we are loaded with small guys with regular season highlights and flare, yet they seem to disappear when the playoffs start. I want some size on this team for when it gets to grind time....

Kizman 06-20-2019 10:52 AM

Brett Leason at 27th works for me. 6'4, soft hands, decent skater, good vision and likes to get in front of net...SOLD!!!

aapbolt 06-20-2019 03:44 PM

Mock

Saw another Mock that has us taking Lassi Thomson RHD

WaiverWire 06-20-2019 04:42 PM

With the 27th pick mocks have been all over the place. I do not think I have seen one yet that agreed with the 27th pick.

The Scores final draft has us taking Pavel Dorofeyev a winger from MHL

Kizman 06-21-2019 05:16 AM

Guess we find out today....should get a quality pick at 27, or so it seems. I will be watching tonight, but still feel its likely they move down into second round and try to acquire an additional pick. Guessing they wait to see who is there first. I'm hoping we draft for size for a change. If it was up to me, I wouldn't touch anyone under 6'0 for awhile...but what the hell do I know...

Jester47 06-21-2019 09:07 AM

I wondering if we will see some trade flying around...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KuchieMonster 06-21-2019 06:43 PM

I want a Swede or Finn Defenseman. It always seems like they turn into studs. Of course, we don't draft much from either country

Kizman 06-21-2019 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KuchieMonster (Post 241679)
I want a Swede or Finn Defenseman. It always seems like they turn into studs. Of course, we don't draft much from either country

I just want us to get a little more size in the Organization...

RSchmitz 06-21-2019 07:06 PM

It's lonely right now on discord

Alex 06-21-2019 07:29 PM

Love how Kaapo Kakko went number 2.

If you don't laugh at that, you don't have the sense of humor of an 8 year old. Like I do.

Iceman 06-21-2019 07:50 PM

Yzerman (aka smartest guy in the room) goes off the board again.

aapbolt 06-21-2019 08:33 PM

Cole

If Caufield falls to 27 we take him.

Kizman 06-21-2019 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aapbolt (Post 241685)
If Caufield falls to 27 we take him.

Never Happen...

Derek28 06-21-2019 08:42 PM

Caufield won't fall to 27. Arthur Kaliyev might and he would be a pretty big boom/bust pick.

aapbolt 06-21-2019 08:44 PM

Cole

Yeah Cole goes to the Habs.

BurnTHalO 06-21-2019 08:53 PM

Caufield/drouin scares the hell out of me.

aapbolt 06-21-2019 09:27 PM

Yep

Me too BTH. Tobias Bjornfot gone I had him in my mock.

Derek28 06-21-2019 09:32 PM

I love the upside of a guy like Kaliyev but I would be ecstatic if Raphael Lavoie fell to the Lightning. He's the perfect kind of guy that is missing in our system and he was a monster in the Q playoffs.

Iceman 06-21-2019 09:47 PM

At least two of Suzuki, Kaleyiv and Lavoie will be available to pick from. Don't get cute and blow the opportunity.

aapbolt 06-21-2019 09:57 PM

Another Foote

We take Nolan Foote.

Derek28 06-21-2019 09:58 PM

That's kind of the boring pick but he fills a need in our organization so I'm happy with it.

BurnTHalO 06-21-2019 10:02 PM

Someone needs to make me not dislike this pick. So much talent available.

Kizman 06-21-2019 10:03 PM

Size and pedigree...I'm ok with that.

Would of been nice if they could have moved down a bit and picked up an additional pick, but we'll never know what they were offered. I personally didn't see Foote rated in first round or mocked in first round...but I wont question Al Murray much.

BurnTHalO 06-21-2019 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizman (Post 241698)

Would of been nice if they could have moved down a bit and picked up an additional pick, but we'll never know what they were offered. I personally didn't see Foote rated in first round or mocked in first round...but I wont question Al Murray much.

With guys like suzuki/lavoie/kaliyev available you damn sure should

KuchieMonster 06-21-2019 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizman (Post 241698)

They probably weren't even offered anything. This draft has been a big snoozer.

Derek28 06-21-2019 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnTHalO (Post 241699)
With guys like suzuki/lavoie/kaliyev available you damn sure should

I liked Lavoie over Foote because of his ability to play center, but they aren't drastically different prospects. As much as I like Kaliyev, he's essentially a one trick player which is goal scoring. All other parts of his game are behind. It's not a huge reach to grab Foote IMO.

RSchmitz 06-21-2019 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnTHalO (Post 241697)

Ok, a lot of mocks had him as a top 5 pick before the start of the year. Kid could be a steal

pete 06-21-2019 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnTHalO (Post 241697)

Challenge accepted: my first thought was that they just drafted Alex Killorn's replacement.

You're welcome, America.

pete 06-21-2019 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek28 (Post 241702)
I liked Lavoie over Foote because of his ability to play center, but they aren't drastically different prospects. As much as I like Kaliyev, he's essentially a one trick player which is goal scoring. All other parts of his game are behind. It's not a huge reach to grab Foote IMO.

It's not a giant reach (RLR had him at #40). My gambler's mentality looks at Kaliyev (RLR had him at #6) though and wonders, "what if?" I feel we've said that a few times in past seasons when we passed on players like Alex Debrincat, for instance.

If the comp for Foote is Charlie Coyle, I get it. That's exactly the type of player the Lightning need to overcome the clutch and grab insanity that happens the second the calendar flips over to playoff season. I consider him a high floor player who will almost certainly be an NHL'er. I just don't know that I am ready to bank on the notion he's got a higher ceiling and will actually be more like James van Riemsdyk redux yet.

Derek28 06-21-2019 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 241707)
It's not a giant reach (RLR had him at #40). My gambler's mentality looks at Kaliyev (RLR had him at #6) though and wonders, "what if?" I feel we've said that a few times in past seasons when we passed on players like Alex Debrincat, for instance.

If the comp for Foote is Charlie Coyle, I get it. That's exactly the type of player the Lightning need to overcome the clutch and grab insanity that happens the second the calendar flips over to playoff season. I consider him a high floor player who will almost certainly be an NHL'er. I just don't know that I am ready to bank on the notion he's got a higher ceiling and will actually be more like James van Riemsdyk redux yet.

I'm guessing the pre-draft scouting report on Kaliyev is very similar to the pre-draft scouting report on the guy that just won the Hart trophy.

The Great Zo 06-22-2019 11:20 AM

Weird trade to start the day.

Toronto sends Patrick Marleau to Carolina. Carolina is going to buy him out and accept the cap hit, and the rumor is that Marleau will then return to San Jose on a cheap deal.

But here's the full trade...

Toronto gets:
2020 6th round pick

Carolina gets:
Patrick Marleau
2020 conditional 1st round pick
2020 7th round pick

The condition is that if the 2020 1st is a top-10 pick, Carolina will get the 2021 1st instead.

Either way, Toronto had to give up a first round pick to get some salary cap relief. A steep price.

Iceman 06-22-2019 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zo (Post 241718)

Toronto sends Patrick Marleau to Carolina. Carolina is going to buy him out and accept the cap hit, and the rumor is that Marleau will then return to San Jose on a cheap deal.

Toronto gets:
2020 6th round pick

Carolina gets:
Patrick Marleau
2020 7th round pick

The condition is that if the 2020 1st is a top-10 pick, Carolina will get the 2021 1st instead.

Either way, Toronto had to give up a first round pick to get some salary cap relief. A steep price.

Ouch

The Great Zo 06-22-2019 11:36 AM

Starting today off with a bang. PK Subban has been traded to New Jersey.

Nashville gets: Steven Santini, Jeremy Davies, 2019 2nd round pick, 2020 2nd round pick.

bolts37205 06-22-2019 11:41 AM

Pronman had Foote #80, although he now concedes he probably had him too low. Fits current team since the univesal knock on him is his lack of ability to get his feet going to get his own open shot. Has a hammer and is big, but so did we hope for Erne??? not sure on this pick, not sold and not sure where he belongs to hone his skills. Cannot argue pedigree or family ties. Totally not sure and not down nor hopeful for this kid.

" Team Fit: In Foote, the Bolts get a big winger who can score goals. Heís a player I thought about a lot in the past two weeks as teams were mildly critical of my draft ranking (No. 80 on my board), and Iím open to the fact I was a little low on him. He provides a goal-scoring element up front that the Bolts donít really have in their current crop of forward prospects. I like his hockey sense, but his skating worried some teams."

The Great Zo 06-22-2019 12:44 PM

Small trade:
Devils get John Hayden
Blackhawks get John Quenneville

aapbolt 06-22-2019 12:57 PM

Deal

Nice job by JBB o deal Miller for a conditional 1st in 20/21 a 3rd this year and a young goalie.

Bolthed 06-22-2019 01:03 PM

Seems like a bit of a light return for Subban, no? If Nashville retained salary too, that’d be kinda nuts.

I don’t mind the Foote pick. I’m sure they just wanted their guy, didn’t care about anyone’s rankings, and knew of course that we couldn't possibly get him later since we don’t have a second-rounder.

Look at it this way – having both Foote brothers might ensure that we’ll get the very best of their potential as players. They’ve got to be ecstatic.

The Great Zo 06-22-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolthed (Post 241734)
Seems like a bit of a light return for Subban, no? If Nashville retained salary too, thatíd be kinda nuts.

No salary retained, but the consensus seems to be that indeed it's a light return...

Derek28 06-22-2019 01:07 PM

The 3rd round pick from Vancouver is pick #71, so about 9-10 picks away.

aapbolt 06-22-2019 01:26 PM

Hugo

We draft a Swedish goalie Hugo Alnefelt 6í3Ē good catching hand.

Kizman 06-22-2019 01:30 PM

JBB and the brass address Goalie, Salary Cap, size and nab a potential 1st rounder....Looks like they are all over it...:thumb:

Kizman 06-22-2019 01:34 PM

So, it's a first next year or following year? Sweet!!!!

Jester47 06-22-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizman (Post 241739)
JBB and the brass address Goalie, Salary Cap, size and nab a potential 1st rounder....Looks like they are all over it...:thumb:

I would love to see one more move made... can't have enough cap space for what is coming up!

Iceman 06-22-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizman (Post 241740)
So, it's a first next year or following year? Sweet!!!!

1st in 2020 if Vancouver makes the playoffs next year or else it rolls to 2021. So in other words 1st in 2021.

Kizman 06-22-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester47 (Post 241742)
I would love to see one more move made... can't have enough cap space for what is coming up!

Agreed, but who? Johnson? Can we even move him?

Time for us to take a Russian!!!

The Great Zo 06-22-2019 02:04 PM

A former Bolt on the move.

Sharks get: Tom Pyatt, pick #164
Canucks get: Francis Perron, pick #215

aapbolt 06-22-2019 02:36 PM

Maxwell

We just drafted Maxwell Crozier. D 6’2” 190lbs, also he has a couple of fights on Hockey fights.

dannybolt 06-22-2019 02:50 PM

JBB having a solid, solid weekend.

That is a fantastic return for Miller. Would have preferred it be one of the (new and improved?) dead money trio, but we can't have everything.

Derek28 06-22-2019 02:52 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the high PIM total from Crozier. The USHL hands out misconducts for everything. He had four fights which = 60 PIM from that alone.

I know we have had a debate a few times about who truly gets final decision on the bolts picks. It's pretty clear when they show the Lightning draft table that Al Murray is in charge.

Kizman 06-22-2019 03:02 PM

I love Murray no doubt, but based upon most of the rankings I am looking at, just about every pick we made so far looked like he was reaching early. No doubt, I know squat, but one has to wonder if moving down a bit would of netted more picks and same players...guess we will never know.

Bolthed 06-22-2019 03:14 PM

I also don’t know if we can move TJ, but it should be a goal of ours to get whatever we can for him and open that scoring-line spot for Barre-Boulet, who really doesn’t have anything to prove at the AHL level.

pete 06-22-2019 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizman (Post 241755)
I love Murray no doubt, but based upon most of the rankings I am looking at, just about every pick we made so far looked like he was reaching early. No doubt, I know squat, but one has to wonder if moving down a bit would of netted more picks and same players...guess we will never know.

Cajkovic was value where we got him.

That said, this draft felt flatter than usual drafts. Not much separation once you got through the obvious early picks. Yzerman took somebody in the second round that wasn't even rated by RLR at all in Detroit, for instance.

pete 06-22-2019 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aapbolt (Post 241751)
We just drafted Maxwell Crozier. D 6í2Ē 190lbs, also he has a couple of fights on Hockey fights.

Known for being an undisciplined guy in scrums. Kind of a hot head and a yapper.

LightningTdi 06-22-2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolthed (Post 241757)
I also donít know if we can move TJ, but it should be a goal of ours to get whatever we can for him and open that scoring-line spot for Barre-Boulet, who really doesnít have anything to prove at the AHL level.

:banghead:

He's going to Seattle!!!!

Kizman 06-22-2019 03:36 PM

Crozier seems like a reach, but maybe they feel they can develop him...

Kizman 06-22-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightningTdi (Post 241761)
:banghead:

He's going to Seattle!!!!

Doesn't he have NTC?

BurnTHalO 06-22-2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizman (Post 241755)

That's what they all said about volkov too.

As for tj, options are limited based on ntc. We should do everything in out power to make it happen, but I'm not hopeful.

Derek28 06-22-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizman (Post 241763)
Doesn't he have NTC?

NTC guys can be exposed in the expansion draft, NMC guys cannot unless they waive to give permission.

WaiverWire 06-22-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zo (Post 241718)

Toronto gets:
2020 6th round pick

Carolina gets:
Patrick Marleau
2020 7th round pick

Smart move by Toronto, they did the same thing we just did with Miller...Ö.freed up cap space for contracts we need to sign.

When I got up today one of the first tweets I saw was that we are thinking of doing the same thing with the Callahan contract. Seems we are looking for another team that needs to get above the caps basement.

Iceman 06-22-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaiverWire (Post 241769)
Smart move by Toronto, they did the same thing we just did with Miller...Ö.freed up cap space for contracts we need to sign.

When I got up today one of the first tweets I saw was that we are thinking of doing the same thing with the Callahan contract. Seems we are looking for another team that needs to get above the caps basement.

Except we got a 1st and the salary relief, Toronto gave up a 1st to get salary relief.

WaiverWire 06-22-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 241771)
Except we got a 1st and the salary relief, Toronto gave up a 1st to get salary relief.

so so true

RSchmitz 06-22-2019 07:10 PM

You guys are hilarious calling TJ dead money. Almost 30 goals at even strength which led the team, playing less than 16 minutes a game and making just 5M. Killorn, ok. Palat, ok. TJ? Give your heads a shake. If he were a free agent he'd be getting 8M+

BurnTHalO 06-22-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSchmitz (Post 241776)
You guys are hilarious calling TJ dead money. Almost 30 goals at even strength which led the team, playing less than 16 minutes a game and making just 5M. Killorn, ok. Palat, ok. TJ? Give your heads a shake. If he were a free agent he'd be getting 8M+

I wont call him dead weight, but he had like 40 points playing on a line with point and kuch most of the year. Less than 16 minutes is 4th on the team among forwards as well. But, the reason I say trade him is I think he has value. To me, hes a good player, but we have guys I think can step into his role.

RSchmitz 06-22-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnTHalO (Post 241777)
I wont call him dead weight, but he had like 40 points playing on a line with point and kuch most of the year. Less than 16 minutes is 4th on the team among forwards as well. But, the reason I say trade him is I think he has value. To me, hes a good player, but we have guys I think can step into his role.

We don't have anyone who can contribute 28 even strength goals next year or the foreseeable future, and we won't find that available around the league. Obviously he's a playoff contributor too.

Really depends on what kind of value we get back for him. 5M for a 30 goal scorer who doesn't get 1st team powerplay time, better be a haul.

the_narrow_way 06-22-2019 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aapbolt (Post 241732)
Nice job by JBB o deal Miller for a conditional 1st in 20/21 a 3rd this year and a young goalie.

:clap:

pete 06-29-2019 06:31 PM

My entire Twitter timeline this week seems like it's been Mikhail Shalagin highlights. Just sayin'.