BoltProspects Community Forums

BoltProspects Community Forums (http://boltprospects.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Draft (http://boltprospects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   2015 Draft (http://boltprospects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10534)

Derek28 06-27-2015 12:13 PM

BOKONDJI!!!!! Best fighter in junior hockey and he actually has some offense as well.

pete 06-27-2015 02:01 PM

For those of you who have complained the Lightning aren't built for the playoffs, this draft was all about adding some character, energy, and grit to the team... Lightning-style.

RSchmitz 06-27-2015 02:53 PM

Utterly uninspiring. Bunch of smaller guys with grit, whatever they've earned the benefit of the doubt I guess.

Would think we are in a position to take riskier high ceiling picks, not depth guys.

Hoek 06-27-2015 04:15 PM

Yeah pretty boring draft. Could have used at least one pure skill guy imo. They played it safe and might not end up with much.

aapbolt 06-27-2015 04:30 PM

Yep

Yep in a deep draft we got support guys, they are important but not sexy. I would have liked to see us grab Beauvillier, Sprong, Roy, Greenway, or Kylington or Harkins, but it was not to be.

Derek28 06-27-2015 06:13 PM

I might be in the minority, but it's a real solid draft IMO. As far as pure skill players go, I'd argue that Dennis Yan and Jonne Tammela could both fit in that category. Tammela's numbers when he was in leagues against players his own age were huge. Cirelli was a 3C, and Joseph was in his first season of major junior, so both probably have more untapped offensive ability. Stephens seems like he's good at everything, but not great at any one thing but could have a high ceiling. Two decent 2-way defensemen and a big goalie. Imama is similar to the DiGiacinto pick from last year, and he's not like your enforcers that are being weeded out of the NHL. He can actually skate and has some offensive upside which would always be nice to have on a 4th line down the road.

Bolthed 06-27-2015 06:49 PM

Maybe they identified an organizational need for more guys who can score greasy, high-effort goals. I mean, we do have a whole lot of fancy passers.

timothy 06-27-2015 09:02 PM

Murray indicated they plan to move Stephens to wing, and the plan is he's the next Ryan Callahan.

The takeaway from this draft is sandpaper, high effort, and brutal forecheckers. The exception being Dennis Yan, who is pure sniper - almost one-dimensionally so. He's got a bit to learn about playing in his own zone. Yan touts the Lightning as his favorite team, and he loves Kucherov. I'd say we got one/maybe two high skill guys, and then a slew of safe, hard-working, gritty, 2nd/3rd liners and 2nd/3rd pair guys. And then another long-term Wilcox-type project goalies.

Matt 06-27-2015 11:31 PM

There's no "exciting" pick in this draft like a Kucherov, that doesn't mean it's a bad draft. I'm not saying they'll be direct comparisons but this could be a draft where we get the Shaw/Kruger type role players that Chicago had. No stars but guys that contribute on the bottom lines and are a pain to play against.

RSchmitz 06-28-2015 12:18 AM

Today just reminded me how silly it is to get wrapped up in prospects and picks, because one, I'm not a pro scout, and two, a lot of these kids will never realize their potential.

I'm also to the point that I can't even guess as to what Yzerman and company are looking for. One year it's, draft high talent high risk guys no matter what the underlying circumstances are. The next year, it's draft high character guys and talent is secondary.