BoltProspects Community Forums

BoltProspects Community Forums (http://boltprospects.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Room (http://boltprospects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   News of the Day II (http://boltprospects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10386)

pete 10-28-2016 09:44 PM

I'm just flabbergasted by the whole thing. Three things at play here:

1. Either Comey's a partisan hack working for the interests of his party or he's completely naive/stupid to send this letter out 11 days before an election. I want to believe the latter, but I think it's the former. As a side note: Democrats invite this every time they nominate Republicans to government rather than qualified people from their own party. There's the stupid belief among Beltway Democrats that they're living in an episode of The West Wing where they are going to earn bipartisan brownie points (that don't exist) by welcoming the other guys into their government. It doesn't lead to bipartisan governing, or increased civility between the parties, or anything other than introducing the possibility that someone within the government may be acting against the interests of the Administration.

2. The Republican congresscritters who leaked this to the press and completely mischaracterised the severity of its content were definitely partisan hacks. What the letter says versus how it was spun is unbelievable in the leaps that were made.

3. The media is both incredibly stupid to rebroadcast the congresscritter spin unskeptically 11 days before an election and utterly cynical in the desire for ratings. You want to talk about lack of vetting? Good Lord, there it is.

So... yep. There's no holding back the race to the gutter now. The n' word tape is coming out (if it exists, and it supposedly does, and if they've got it), and shortly after Hillary gets into office we'll see a coup in the House where Ryan is overthrown by some Freedom Caucus numb nut who will immediately convene impeachment hearings over... ???

Can't pass a damned budget. Can barely pass continuing resolutions and debt ceiling limit extensions to keep the government open. It's not even about issues or ideology anymore. It's a goddamned elementary school food fight while the nation's interests get completely neglected.

Donnie D 10-28-2016 10:04 PM

Comey's memo to his staff was a lot fairer than the letter to Congress:

This morning I sent a letter to Congress in connection with the Secretary Clinton email investigation.* Yesterday, the investigative team briefed me on their recommendation with respect to seeking access to emails that have recently been found in an unrelated case.* Because those emails appear to be pertinent to our investigation, I agreed that we should take appropriate steps to obtain and review them.

Of course, we don’t ordinarily tell Congress about ongoing investigations, but here I feel an obligation to do so given that I testified repeatedly in recent months that our investigation was completed. I also think it would be misleading to the American people were we not to supplement the record.* At the same time, however, given that we don’t know the significance of this newly discovered collection of emails, I don’t want to create a misleading impression.* In trying to strike that balance, in a brief letter and in the middle of an election season, there is significant risk of being misunderstood, but I wanted you to hear directly from me about it.

Unfortunately, this came out after the newspaper deadlines and the evening news.

Donnie D 10-28-2016 10:48 PM

Newsweek is reporting the following:

There is no indication the emails in question were withheld by Clinton during the investigation, the law enforcement official told Newsweek, nor does the*discovery suggest she did anything illegal. Also, none of the emails were to or from Clinton, the official said.*Moreover, despite the widespread claims in the media that this development had prompted the FBI to “reopen” of the case, it did not; such investigations are never actually closed, and it is common for law enforcement to discover new information that needs to be examined.

Because Clinton preferred to read documents on paper rather than on a screen, emails and other files were often printed out and provided to her either at her office or home, where they were delivered in a diplomatic pouch by a security agent. Abedin, like many State Department officials, found the government network technology to be cumbersome, and she had great trouble printing documents there, investigative records show. As a result, she sometimes transferred emails from her unclassified State Department account to either her Yahoo account or her account on Clinton’s server, and printed the emails from there. It is not clear whether she ever transferred official emails to the account she used for her husband’s campaign.

Abedin would use this procedure for printing documents when she received emails she believed Clinton needed to see and when the Secretary forwarded emails to her for printing. Abedin told the FBI she would often print these emails without reading them. Abedin printed a large number of emails this way, in part because, investigative records show, other staff members considered her Clinton’s “gatekeeper” and often sent Abedin electronic communications they wanted the Secretary to see.

This procedure for printing documents, the government official says, appears to be how the newly discovered emails ended up on the laptop shared by Abedin and her husband.

http://www.newsweek.com/hillary-clin...-abedin-514918

ZeykShade 10-28-2016 10:52 PM

So Comey went from non-partisan man of integrity to "partisan hack" in record time eh? Remember when he found in favor of Hillary and all the Shillary TwitterFucks went love fest on Comey and how great he was and non-partisan and a credit to the FBI...Those same folks are now questioning his integrity on Twitter, lol. Which is it?

I think he's covering his ass. I don't know if there's anything in the new emails that is pertinent to Clinton's email server, he doesn't either. It seems to me that he's covering his ass just in case something damning is actually in them. Had he not reported it and she got elected only to see a smoking gun of absolute corruption or violation of the Espionage Act come to light later, he'd be fucked and the country would be absolutely fucked.

Imagine that she's elected and then a few weeks later it's found that she's basically bought and paid for by the highest bidder and has handled state's secrets so recklessly as to cause irreparable harm to the nation. Her presidency is immediately illegitimate in the eyes of quite a few people and congress. That'd be fucking disastrous.

pete 10-28-2016 11:03 PM

Thank you David Sirota er Zeyk. Loved that the first time I read it... when Van Jones retweeted it. I don't recall ever having kissed Comey's ass, because I've found him overly wishy washy in ways that have fueled this faux controversy.

At a minimum, he jumped the gun today sending that letter out before a cursory review of the emails was complete. He rang alarm bells without seeing if there was even any pertinent, new information there... less than 2 weeks before an election. Incredibly irresponsible. Did he do it because he's a partisan hack? Or is he a naive idiot? You make the call. Either way it's bad.

Donnie D 10-28-2016 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeykShade (Post 204330)
So Comey went from non-partisan man of integrity to "partisan hack" in record time eh? Remember when he found in favor of Hillary and all the Shillary TwitterFucks went love fest on Comey and how great he was and non-partisan and a credit to the FBI...Those same folks are now questioning his integrity on Twitter, lol. Which is it?

I think he's covering his ass. I don't know if there's anything in the new emails that is pertinent to Clinton's email server, he doesn't either. It seems to me that he's covering his ass just in case something damning is actually in them. Had he not reported it and she got elected only to see a smoking gun of absolute corruption or violation of the Espionage Act come to light later, he'd be fucked and the country would be absolutely fucked.

Imagine that she's elected and then a few weeks later it's found that she's basically bought and paid for by the highest bidder and has handled state's secrets so recklessly as to cause irreparable harm to the nation. Her presidency is immediately illegitimate in the eyes of quite a few people and congress. That'd be fucking disastrous.

I don't think he is a political hack. I think too many people knew about this and it would leak it before the election anyway. Then it would look like the FBI was covering up for Hillary and that would look worse than his letter. So he wanted to get out front and released what he thought would be a short statement to congress. He never used the words "the case was reopened" in his letter like Faux News led with this evening. He also didn't say that there was anything important in the e-mails. But I think he saw that he was in trouble this evening when the press was misrepresenting his letter. He knew he couldn't send an update to the congress and could not release something directly to the press and so he issued a memo to his staff (when does that ever happen) that clarified his statement and leaked that to the press.

If Newsweek's reporting is accurate, he should clarify that these have nothing to do with Hillary this weekend. He followed protocol by not disclosing the Weiner probe (sorry about that) but could have done some harm to Clinton.

The more I read comments from the public, I'm seeing 2 lines of comments. Folks who are saying that this is the smoking gun that will put her away (who had already decided to vote for Trump) and others who are saying that they are sick and tired of hearing about her e-mails and feel that this is a republican hack job on her (people who had already decided to vote for Clinton). In other words, I'm not sure that this is going to impact this election at all.

pete 10-28-2016 11:20 PM

Quote:

The more I read comments from the public, I'm seeing 2 lines of comments. Folks who are saying that this is the smoking gun that will put her away (who had already decided to vote for Trump) and others who are saying that they are sick and tired of hearing about her e-mails and feel that this is a republican hack job on her (people who had already decided to vote for Clinton). In other words, I'm not sure that this is going to impact this election at all.
It hurts her. It absolutely hurts her, because it takes Republicans who were checking out of this election and re-energizes them. And the annoying thing is not even the cursory groundwork to determine if there was any "there" there was completed before he threw out ten pounds of partisan catnip to the GOP'ers in Congress less than two weeks before an election. The Trump people bitch and moan there wasn't enough vetting done about women whose stories were checked for 3 days when we have the man confessing on tape he did that crap... and somehow I'm out of line for saying Comey should've told his team to take a good 4-8 hours to sift through this information to determine if there really were classified mails that gave away the secret location to Nicholas Cage's National Treasure or just Hillary's recipe for chicken soup, or possibly none of the above. And, at this hour, this is looking like none of the above. It's really, really unfair.

RSchmitz 10-29-2016 03:55 AM

Bottom line. Comey has successfully cast doubt onto Clinton. The nuance points will be ignored for the simple truth, that the FBI is "renewing" it's investigation. Now that the average American has their ears perked and their eyes open, this hurts her terribly.

the_narrow_way 10-29-2016 10:00 AM

The media really screwed the pooch on this one yesterday by taking Comey's bait.

pete 10-29-2016 10:55 AM

This lends credence to the partisan hack possibility.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...ics%252Bnation