BoltProspects Community Forums

BoltProspects Community Forums (http://boltprospects.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Room (http://boltprospects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   News of the Day II (http://boltprospects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10386)

gphockey 10-05-2017 11:25 AM

Not much to say about Vegas except praying for those affected.

About guns, might as well weight in.
Zek is right, a 223 caliber assault rifle is not the round for deer hunting. Its too fast causing Hydrostactic shock. Ruins the meat IMO.
That said you can get different calibers more suited for deer hunting. I belive the .308 would be available.

I am totally against full auto and large magazines except for LE/Security and Military. Semi is all you should need as a private citizen.

With as many targets as he had, he could have used a scoped silenced sniper bolt action just as effectively instead of simply spraying bullets around.
Thus my final argument, people kill people. The weapon, is what it is.

No doubt a horrific time in our history to which we need to do better.

Flycoon 10-05-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gphockey (Post 218703)
Not much to say about Vegas except praying for those affected.

About guns, might as well weight in.
Zek is right, a 223 caliber assault rifle is not the round for deer hunting. Its too fast causing Hydrostactic shock. Ruins the meat IMO.
That said you can get different calibers more suited for deer hunting. I belive the .308 would be available.

I am totally against full auto and large magazines except for LE/Security and Military. Semi is all you should need as a private citizen.

With as many targets as he had, he could have used a scoped silenced sniper bolt action just as effectively instead of simply spraying bullets around.
Thus my final argument, people kill people. The weapon, is what it is.

No doubt a horrific time in our history to which we need to do better.

People kill people. I propose that this person be sat in the 32nd floor of the Mnadalay Bay with an assortment of knives, swords, bows etc. See how many die. People kill people is the dumbest explanation of this event.

We won't do any better unless there is legislative action. Meaning....count down is on until the next one. Football game? Political rally?

Hoek 10-05-2017 01:15 PM

The crowd would have had way more time to clear out if he was just sniping.

WaiverWire 10-05-2017 01:34 PM

Paul Ryan wants to take up legislation that will outlaw things like the "bump stock".

Hopefully we will have an honest discussion.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/1...-stocks-243486

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...vegas-shooting

WaiverWire 10-05-2017 01:44 PM

And now even the NRA is calling for a review of "bump stocks".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41519815

the_narrow_way 10-05-2017 02:08 PM

Am I being too cynical by noting the fact that when children and gays are being massacred nothing gets done about gun control but when it's country music fans then the R's are willing to start talking about changes?

pete 10-05-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_narrow_way (Post 218709)
Am I being too cynical by noting the fact that when children and gays are being massacred nothing gets done about gun control but when it's country music fans then the R's are willing to start talking about changes?

I think it's more likely that Sheldon Adelson made some phone calls.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...hooting-report

WaiverWire 10-05-2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_narrow_way (Post 218709)

If that is the case then why did not the media and the left say anything about the 3700 lives taken in Chicago during the Obama administration?

Sad fact is that many democrats also do not want to take on the NRA.

BurnTHalO 10-05-2017 02:54 PM

And in Trump form, he will use Vegas to overshadow that he is going to back out of the Iran deal, essentially telling every country to never do deals with us again since we will just back out of the deal every time we have a change in presidents.

ZeykShade 10-05-2017 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaiverWire (Post 218711)
If that is the case then why did not the media and the left say anything about the 3700 lives taken in Chicago during the Obama administration?

Sad fact is that many democrats also do not want to take on the NRA.

False equivalency again. Yes, lots of Democratic Party representatives are inept shit-licks. NRA donated $5,900,000 to GOP candidates and $106,000 to Democratic Candidates in 2016 cycle. So yes, be outraged at their failure to act, but don't for a second attempt to portion equal outrage to each party. There is one party that is disproportionately bribed and owned by the DeathStick Lobby.

Changes I'd like to see:

Handguns, nope. They're done. If you're not LEO, Military, Security or FFA Licensee, you can't have one. The vast majority of firearm-related fatalities and casualties are generated by handguns.

Semi-automatic rifles/shotguns of all varieties(includes pistol variants), nope. No more production or import. Those that are already present, bought back and amnesty given to those that exist. If you own one, you are responsible for it. If it's stolen and not reported, you're vicariously liable for what is done with your firearm. Basically, add them to the same list that Automatic weapons are on now, banned by the NFA of 1934 and only available to those who have a Class III Federal Firearms License or LEO/Military.

Bolt/Lever/Pump/Break Action Rifles/Shotguns, absolutely permitted with no capacity greater than 10rds for anything that isn't small caliber rimfire. This allows for home defense, hunting, and plinking. So you can still maintain the hobbyist aspect of gun culture without the ubiquitous concealed death sticks that lead to so many suicides and murders and casualties each year.

There is no person to person transfer of firearm ownership anymore. If you wish to sell your firearm to someone, it has to meet the standards above for the type of firearm being sold AND it must be done in the presence of an FFA licensee(gun shop) with a Department of Public Safety Transaction authorization number like is done in Connecticut. The person must also possess valid firearms permit as is also required in Connecticut(which requires an extensive background check). Every state will be a "Shall Issue" state for this reason. You shouldn't have to demonstrate a need for hunting and hobbyist tools. The firearm permit will be reviewed every 2-5 years and background checks run at renewal.

Just some ideas.