BoltProspects Community Forums

BoltProspects Community Forums (http://boltprospects.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Room (http://boltprospects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Irma (http://boltprospects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13808)

WaiverWire 09-05-2017 06:02 AM

Irma

Do not take this storm for granted. Be prepared and make your plans now. Most importantly with the size of this storm and the possible track as being reported now, make plans to get out.

The most scary part of this storm is we always see a weak side. This storm has no weak side as they circular wall has the same strength throughout.

RSchmitz 09-05-2017 06:14 AM

Flooding and property damage is the main concern for those of us inland. I recommend finding out where you sit on the floor plain and plan accordingly.

Don't buy canned goods. Buy water and easy to store/low perishable foods like rice cakes and beef jerky.

The Great Zo 09-05-2017 07:16 AM

Irma just reached Category 5 intensity. It's the furthest east that any storm in the Atlantic has ever reached that strength. This will be potentially devastating for the northern Leeward Islands.

Still a long way to go before it gets near Florida and a lot can change, but if I lived anywhere in the peninsula I'd be filling up my gas tanks, taking out cash, filling medications, and taking any other precautions I can think of. Including considering arrangements to get out of town later this week.

Flycoon 09-05-2017 07:16 AM

We are high and not on the flood plain in Land O Lakes. The difficult part will be getting the hurricane shutters up on the second floor windows, particularly over the pool cage. The house is 4 years old so the windows are good up to 120mph wind but aren't impact resistant; goofy.

Looking at the path you would need to far north to get out of the path. With my 86 yo mother in law and 5 cats it would be a tough drive.

The Great Zo 09-05-2017 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flycoon (Post 217779)
Looking at the path you would need to far north to get out of the path.

This is a challenging point, because a storm this strong tracking all the way up the peninsula -- not a guarantee, but certainly one of the possibilities -- is kind of unprecedented. It would require a hell of a drive to get out of the swath of the storm.

Hoek 09-05-2017 08:17 AM

I'm in Yellowstone right now and have no idea what I'll be doing as far as coming back since I'm scheduled to come back Sunday when it probably hits.

gphockey 09-05-2017 09:19 AM

With the hook its difficult to predict. Perhaps it goes up the atlantic coast northward. (not to Maine please)
Hopefully its a miss, but be ready.

At least a gallon of water per person per day. Buy now you can alway use it.
Chainsaw if you have one...(Buy bar oil and extra chain if not in good shape).
Gas for everything.
Board up what you can.
Generator is good, but you need plenty of gas and don't forget engine oil.
Hurricane bag with valubles, pictures, documents, cash and meds.
Bug spray.
Tarps/roll of plastic. Plastic orange saucer nails (roofing) to hold down tarps plastic. Found at Big Box lumber stores.
Lights/lantern - wicks if its the old type, extra fuel or propane.
Camping gear such as propane stove & bottles of fuel.
Remember its going to be hot, no power, no AC, perhaps you are living in a tent in the front yard.
Freeze water bottles, gallon jugs etc so you have ice. Its gold when power is out. Put extra bottles in coolers.

IF its cat 4 or 5 and you think its coming at you, please leave...and leave early.

If you get hit, there wont be a road sign left so write down directions to your location using landmarks/businesses/mileages to you home so you can give directions to friends family that are not familiar with area.

Stay off interstate and maybe sneak up the middle of the state on secondary roads.
One person I worked with waited until Charley was about an hour away and found empty roads to evacuate. Wouldn't try that but worked for him.
Another thought it was a good idea to evacuate to his business in Arcadia...until it came up the river and he had to scoot to Miami area to avoid storm.

nutznboltz 09-05-2017 12:26 PM

The latest tracks are now taking it further east for most of the models

http://www.myfoxhurricane.com/custom...m1_models.html

I will be leaving early Saturday morning, trying to head west towards Alabama if possible. Gonna make hotel room reservations Thursday.

ChaseSpace 09-05-2017 01:22 PM

I'm up in Gainesville so thankfully things aren't too hectic here. Gonna make a store run and fill up my tank after work today incase the power goes out or something worse happens.

Donnie D 09-05-2017 02:12 PM

I don't have the luxury of leaving - I have an assignment in the EOC.

We've hardened the roof, installed hurricane windows, entry doors and the garage door. Hopefully, they installed them correctly. :D