BoltProspects Community Forums

BoltProspects Community Forums (http://boltprospects.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Room (http://boltprospects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   News of the Day II (http://boltprospects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10386)

pete 09-29-2017 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutznboltz (Post 218525)
Wow, Trump forces Tom Price to resign. #DrainTheSwamp :coolwink:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN1C42ZB

Good. Maybe now someone can force that dirtbag to pay back the money for the campaign-style mailers he used to send all his constituents on the federal dime. Scumbag would AstroTurf us with that garbage paid for with federal taxpayer dollars. He's legit scum.

RSchmitz 09-29-2017 04:22 PM

What is the state of the republican versus democrat race come mid-terms?

pete 09-29-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSchmitz (Post 218527)
What is the state of the republican versus democrat race come mid-terms?

More than 13 months out it's way too early to make predictions. There's a lot of very big variables still floating around, including (in no particular order): 1.) Mueller's investigation, 2.) The economy, and 3.) North Korea.

With that said, if you want to read tea leaves:

Positive signs for the Democrats:

1.) That PPP poll says Democrats currently hold an 11 point generic ballot lead. That's wave election territory.

2.) The GOP is on pace for a record number of Congressional retirements this cycle, even surpassing the number in the 2006 cycle that was the last Democratic midterm wave. Retirements by the party in power are typically considered the canary in the coal mine. If they see a wave coming at them, a lot of Congress-critters decide it's easier to take a lobbyist job than fight an uphill battle to keep their spot.

3.) Democrats haven't picked off any GOP seats at the federal level in any of the recent special elections, but they've been more competitive than anticipated in a lot of blood red Republican districts and states. Additionally, the Democrats have taken a few GOP scalps at the state and local level including recently winning a Cuban American state senate district in Florida down by Miami that was long considered unwinnable.

4.) There isn't a ton of polling data to support this empirically yet, but I've read consultants from both sides of the aisle that agree Democrats are way more engaged and enthusiastic to vote than they typically are in midterm cycles.

Positive signs for the Republicans:

1.) The power of incumbency remains an advantage that's difficult to beat in terms of fundraising and name recognition.

2.) In the House, gerrymandering has put the GOP in a position where, although they have a fair number of blue and purple seats to defend, it won't be easy for Democrats to pull even more into the realm of being competitive because of how many blood red seats the Republicans have set up.

3.) In the Senate, this cycle revisits the results of the 2012 class, which was a good year for Democratic Senate candidates riding Obama's coat tails. That means the Democrats have a lot more seats to defend than the Republicans this cycle, and some of those seats are in very pro-Republican territory like North Dakota.

4.) I'd anticipate a continuation and acceleration of the selective voter disenfranchisement tricks you saw at the state level in 2016.

5.) I'd also anticipate you'll see a continuation of the "help" the Russians gave the Republicans in 2016. Trump and the Republicans have been reticent to even confess there is a problem, let alone take the steps necessary to discourage foreign interference with the electorate.

Flycoon 09-29-2017 07:43 PM

The influx of new Floridians from Puerto Rico may well turn the state Blue. Does Grady Judd know Puerto Ricans are American? There will be many more settling in the I-4 corridor when they can get across the big ocean water.

the_narrow_way 09-29-2017 09:27 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and expect that like 99% of them will vote D once they get voting rights here.

BTW, how does that work? You are a citizen but you can't vote in the general election. What happens when you move here? Change your address to USA and you immediately can vote after registering?

ZeykShade 09-29-2017 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_narrow_way (Post 218539)
I'm going to go out on a limb here and expect that like 99% of them will vote D once they get voting rights here.

BTW, how does that work? You are a citizen but you can't vote in the general election. What happens when you move here? Change your address to USA and you immediately can vote after registering?

Yes, that's how it works. They are instantly eligible to vote where they live.

Donnie D 09-30-2017 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaiverWire (Post 218515)
No, it is something about love of country...............something clearly is not to your liking. Sorry Donnie, it is just that simple and all polls show you are clearly in the minority.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/29/politi...oll/index.html

Not clearly

Overall, 49% say the protesting players are doing the wrong thing to express their political opinion when they kneel during the National Anthem, while 43% say it's the right thing. Those views are sharply divided by race, partisanship and age.

Six in 10 Americans say that Trump did the wrong thing by criticizing those players, however, including 51% of whites, 97% of blacks and majorities of Democrats (86%) and independents (61%). Among Republicans, 23% called it the wrong thing to do, and even 32% of those who think the players are doing the wrong thing disagree with Trump's criticizing them.

BurnTHalO 09-30-2017 09:25 AM

Interesting how Trump responded to Texas, florida, and now Puerto Rico. Honestly wonder if he knows they are us citizens.

Also, the white house just have no idea how to talk.
Quote:

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Thursday defended President Trump's stance on athlete protests during the national anthem as "pretty black and white."

"I don't think there's much to clarify," Sanders said. "It's pretty black and white there."

RSchmitz 09-30-2017 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnTHalO (Post 218543)
Also, the white house just have no idea how to talk.

Probably hurting their newfound ratings spike that the kneeling gave them.

WaiverWire 09-30-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnTHalO (Post 218520)
What in the world are you talking about? This is all in response to you stating that the left are the violent side. You gave two news articles of individual acts of violence and expected me to just accept that 2 cases is vastly more than anything on the right. I ask for more evidence of this, and you just wrote multiple paragraphs discussing your work as a police officer, using force on black people, and screaming black on black crime. I could get into that with you if I chose, but I'm not looking to change the subject at this point. For the last time, can you provide actual evidence.... Wait, ok, SCIENTIFIC evidence (as in case studies of more than something you read in a newspaper) that the left is responsible for the vast majority of the violence in this country.

Seems you can not read. First you asked for evidence and then it was a study. Then it was evidence again. Now it is "scientific evidence" and "case studies".