BoltProspects Community Forums

BoltProspects Community Forums (http://boltprospects.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Room (http://boltprospects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   News of the Day II (http://boltprospects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10386)

BurnTHalO 11-06-2014 11:14 AM

This idea it is all Reid is ridiculous. He was playing the political game every bit as much as McConnell and Republicans, and they are both at fault for this do-nothing. While Reid (wrongly) sat on some bills, Republicans threatened filibusters on others which would then just waste time. Not to mention they used them to delay or completely block something like 400 bills. As all the experts have said, there is equal blame to go for all parties. As for McConnell saying this, I'm sure he will. He has the House as well.

RSchmitz 11-06-2014 11:15 AM

That is just lip service to appear like something is going to be accomplished.

WaiverWire 11-06-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnTHalO (Post 175281)
This idea it is all Reid is ridiculous. He was playing the political game every bit as much as McConnell and Republicans, and they are both at fault for this do-nothing. While Reid (wrongly) sat on some bills, Republicans threatened filibusters on others which would then just waste time. Not to mention they used them to delay or completely block something like 400 bills. As all the experts have said, there is equal blame to go for all parties. As for McConnell saying this, I'm sure he will. He has the House as well.

Never placed all the blame on Reid, but he has to stand up and take his fair share. Instead he has his Chief of Staff blame the President.

Fact is over 350 bills were either stalled at Reid's office or by a committee chair. 55 bills authored by democrats in the House also found this fate.

And please explain how one can filibuster when a bill doesn't even have a chance to come out of committee? It takes 60 votes to block a filibuster. The democrats only needed a few from the other side but never tried to get them.

So what should have happened is you let them filibuster and then blame the party for their action as to why things do not get done.

The above is what McConnell should do and I think he will.

But I also think that if they can try to pass bills with common ground, the others will bring the parties to the table and more will get done.

BurnTHalO 11-06-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaiverWire (Post 175283)
Never placed all the blame on Reid, but he has to stand up and take his fair share. Instead he has his Chief of Staff blame the President.

Fact is over 350 bills were either stalled at Reid's office or by a committee chair. 55 bills authored by democrats in the House also found this fate.

And please explain how one can filibuster when a bill doesn't even have a chance to come out of committee? It takes 60 votes to block a filibuster. The democrats only needed a few from the other side but never tried to get them.

So what should have happened is you let them filibuster and then blame the party for their action as to why things do not get done.

The above is what McConnell should do and I think he will.

But I also think that if they can try to pass bills with common ground, the others will bring the parties to the table and more will get done.

Because they don't try something when they don't have the 60 votes. If it's going to be filibustered by the Republicans, the thought is why bring it up and waste time. I agree, they should have let the filibusters happen, it was (once again, common theme here) a stupid move by the democrats, and I thought it was a horrible miscalculation by Reid that really cost them a lot. However, filibustering EVERYTHING that does go to floor is also obsurd, and I wish someone would hold them accountable for that as well.

WaiverWire 11-06-2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnTHalO (Post 175284)
Because they don't try something when they don't have the 60 votes. If it's going to be filibustered by the Republicans, the thought is why bring it up and waste time. I agree, they should have let the filibusters happen, it was (once again, common theme here) a stupid move by the democrats, and I thought it was a horrible miscalculation by Reid that really cost them a lot. However, filibustering EVERYTHING that does go to floor is also obsurd, and I wish someone would hold them accountable for that as well.

But you are assuming, like Harry, that would happen. All I am saying maybe it would not.

But then Harry never even tried to bring stuff to the floor where they had common ground. He did not want a bill to be amended and possible look better than it started out as. But guess what? That is legislating.

The last thing he brought to the floor was immigration. I commend him for that. But why not energy? Why not tax reform?

Immigration failed in the House out of distrust. They did not think the President would secure the border. So If I had been Reid I would had put forth a bill dealing with border security and then follow up with the rest. But he did not trust the republicans to move forward after the border bill was past.

I believe whoever gets the immigration bill through has the best chance of winning in 2016.

I think you have to go to the President and give him his trade bill, something Reid would not do. Then you have to tell him that if he agrees to allow a separate borders bill the rest of the bill will follow as soon as the borders bill is signed.

If they can do that, they can pass many things the last two years.

Sotnos 11-06-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie D (Post 175275)
I am all for making it easier for people to register to vote as well as making it easier to vote, but voter suppression and days off of work had NOTHING to do with why Scott was re-elected.

Making it a holiday has more to do with promoting a culture where it's impressed on people that voting is important.

If voter suppression is no big deal, why is one group working so hard at it?

As a few have said, it does need to be noted that the Dems who "ran away" from Obama lost, most badly. Think that turned off young folks who worked hard to get him elected? You bet it did.

ZeykShade 11-06-2014 02:56 PM

What turns off young folks who worked hard to get Obama elected is how Obama governed. Hope and Change was essentially a lie, beyond getting the ACA passed.

The most nauseating thing was hearing the Pundits talk about how the left is going to have to move to meet the right due to this midterm and ditch their "far left" agenda.

Those pundits should be beaten. I challenge any of them to name a truly progressive piece of policy that is part of the DNC platform.

Sotnos 11-06-2014 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeykShade (Post 175289)
The most nauseating thing was hearing the Pundits talk about how the left is going to have to move to meet the right due to this midterm and ditch their "far left" agenda.

They wouldn't know a far left agenda if one jumped up & bit them.

Hm, so very interesting! What's nice is they're comparing to 2010, not 2012. http://www.thenation.com/blog/188697...-2014-election

Quote:

In the North Carolina senate race, Republican Thom Tillis, who as speaker of the North Carolina General Assembly oversaw the state’s new voting law, defeated Democrat Kay Hagan by 50,000 votes. Nearly five times as many voters in 2010 used the voting reforms eliminated by the North Carolina GOP—200,000 voted during the now-eliminated first week of early voting, 20,000 used same-day registration and 7,000 cast out-of-precinct ballots.

Flycoon 11-07-2014 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie D (Post 175274)
And every bill of any substance has not received the 60 votes necessary for closure. The republicans used this tactic and I expect that the democrats will too.

I certainly hope so.

The GOP pulled that shit with the sincere belief that Dems will work with them even though they have shit on everything for 6 years.

Playing hardball by their rules is long overdue.

Flycoon 11-07-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie D (Post 175276)
Obama ran away from his own record. He has a good record, but I really believe Obama has checked out. I thought he lost his enthusiasm for the job the 3rd year in and ran only because he didn't want to be seen as a quitter. But he has been AWOL as a president and a leader for the past 2 years.

I agree. A meme on one of the talk shows on Sirius Progressive is Obama does not want to be perceived as "angry black man" and frighten older white voters.

The persona he has chosen is much more poisonous.