BoltProspects Community Forums

BoltProspects Community Forums (http://boltprospects.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Room (http://boltprospects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   News of the Day II (http://boltprospects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10386)

Puckhead 04-04-2020 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 250331)
Especially when the Republicans admit Rick Scott deliberately made it even harder to get unemployment benefits when he was governor as a ploy to burnish his economic numbers.

Over time, I've come to the realization that Bob Woodward was mostly right: "The truth always comes out". Particularly in this day and age of media saturation and scrutiny--you know, "the fake news".

Donnie D 04-04-2020 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaiverWire (Post 250333)
Yup, but their computer system has been a joke for years, just like Consumer Services. Scott did not have to do a thing in attempting to make it harder, as the system they are using is so old and out of date this was going to happen anyway.

The system isn’t old - it’s not even 7 years old.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...#storylink=cpy

Building a new unemployment site was one of Scott’s top priorities, and the contract to build it was awarded to Deloitte Consulting, a major contractor whose high-powered lobbyists at the time included Brian Ballard, the co-chair of Scott’s inaugural finance committee. The cost was $77 million.

Deloitte had problems from the start. Two years before the site launched, the Department of Economic Opportunity was warning the project wasn’t working right and and had fallen behind schedule. Department officials were threatening to fine Deloitte $15,000 per day until it revised its final design. At one point they threatened to fire the company.

When the site launched, website glitches locked thousands of recipients out of the system and delayed their payments by weeks.

The site, in violation of state law, required applicants to sign in with their Social Security numbers, and the site had so many problems that people found their claims denied or were paid claims to which they were not entitled.

State auditors detailed those problems in a 2015 audit. An audit in 2016 found the state failed to fix many of the problems they had flagged.

Last year’s audit was essentially a repeat of 2016′s audit, since nothing had been fixed.

The system was bought and paid for by REPUBLICAN RICK SCOTT. He was told that it didn’t work and did nothing to correct it. It’s not a bipartisan issue that’s been hanging around for years. Your party owns it.

WaiverWire 04-04-2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie D (Post 250335)
The system isnít old - itís not even 7 years old.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...#storylink=cpy

Building a new unemployment site was one of Scottís top priorities, and the contract to build it was awarded to Deloitte Consulting, a major contractor whose high-powered lobbyists at the time included Brian Ballard, the co-chair of Scottís inaugural finance committee. The cost was $77 million.

Deloitte had problems from the start. Two years before the site launched, the Department of Economic Opportunity was warning the project wasnít working right and and had fallen behind schedule. Department officials were threatening to fine Deloitte $15,000 per day until it revised its final design. At one point they threatened to fire the company.

When the site launched, website glitches locked thousands of recipients out of the system and delayed their payments by weeks.

The site, in violation of state law, required applicants to sign in with their Social Security numbers, and the site had so many problems that people found their claims denied or were paid claims to which they were not entitled.

State auditors detailed those problems in a 2015 audit. An audit in 2016 found the state failed to fix many of the problems they had flagged.

Last yearís audit was essentially a repeat of 2016′s audit, since nothing had been fixed.

The system was bought and paid for by REPUBLICAN RICK SCOTT. He was told that it didnít work and did nothing to correct it. Itís not a bipartisan issue thatís been hanging around for years. Your party owns it.

You just do not get it Donnie because you believe that one party is always to blame.

Look what I posted as you made my point. Tallahassee has always hired companies that had ties to someone in government. This time it was Scott.

When I first walked the halls in Tallahassee Lawton Chiles was in office. We hit road block after road block.

Under Bush it wasn't much better. After I retired I walked the halls with Crist in office. He was always look at as a democrat and not he is one.

So yeah, you can blame one party for the disaster with the Florida unemployment. But the truth is the way they have handed out computer bids has been a problem for many many years.

We have allowed both parties the power to line pockets of CEO's who never honor their contracts.

Donnie D 04-04-2020 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaiverWire (Post 250336)
So yeah, you can blame one party for the disaster with the Florida unemployment.

My point exactly.

Was that really that hard?

The Great Zo 04-05-2020 01:48 AM

This article/investigation seems very relevant to the current discussion and to current events in the Sunshine State.

Hoek 04-05-2020 08:01 AM

Coronavirus Case Counts Are Meaningless*

Pretty much what I said a week ago, except spelled out in detail.

I don't think we'll really come to grips with how far it's spread and how many people may already be immune without widespread antibody testing. The current viral DNA tests just take too long and are too hard to scale once the virus has outpaced any hope of containment. Antibody tests are much cheaper and faster and can be self-administered much more easily.

Hoek 04-05-2020 09:34 AM

Another thing I've been thinking is what a folly it was to make healthcare revolve around one time use or disposable PPEs. Even with competent foresight and stockpiling, I don't see how in the world you're supposed to supply enough masks, gowns, shields, etc. in a global pandemic affecting millions to billions of people. We need to seriously look into more re-use of such equipment and designing them to be safely and easily sterilized or only have to replace part of them instead of throwing away the whole thing each time.

Donnie D 04-05-2020 11:20 AM

I found this analysis pretty interesting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wdx...V6lPCHB-q/view

pete 04-05-2020 04:45 PM

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson admitted to the hospital after his coronavirus symptoms haven’t abated in over a week battling the illness. Like Trump, Johnson originally downplayed the coronavirus thinking that the UK could develop herd immunity quickly without a large loss of life. Unlike Trump, Johnson reversed course when the body bags started stacking up.

Puckhead 04-05-2020 06:13 PM

Just the thought of Trump on a ventilator....