BoltProspects Community Forums

BoltProspects Community Forums (http://boltprospects.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Room (http://boltprospects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   News of the Day II (http://boltprospects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10386)

the_narrow_way 06-10-2014 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaiverWire (Post 169508)
Agent Orange claims have been being paid out for many years. I have a close friend that is getting this for about 7 years now. He told me that his claim rep at the VA told him almost anyone can get this claim now. He gave an example that he, the claim rep, served on a ship that had dock in Nam. Because he stepped off the ship while being assigned to another ship, which then left Nam the same day, he was able to file a claim as he set "boots on the ground". He also said that was the only time he was in Nam, which was about 5 hours total.

This is an example of why the problem is not all on the VA side of the equation. False claims like this contribute to the backlog.

BurnTHalO 06-11-2014 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoek (Post 169546)
The heck does Virginia care so much about immigration for? Bad sign if that was decided it.

Could be good for dems. Keep pushing the right further right, and more of the sane people are going to vote exclusively democrat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannybolt (Post 169547)
I don't know anything about the views of the guy who beat Cantor. However, he is an economics professor, which makes him more qualified to make decisions with economic ramifications than 99% of our elected representatives. We need more people in Washington who can understand the economic ramifications of their decisions; whether this guy is the right one, I have no idea. I do know that a Congressional body populated mostly by attorneys does a pretty bad job at rational and pragmatic economic policy.

Yes and no. Sure, he would be nice to have helping on some economic aspects. But it is crazy to sit here and think that the only thing Congress needs to know is economics. He may be able to say "This and this and this are spending too much, we need to do this to raise revenues," but he doesn't understand climate change and how his eliminating restrictions will effect that. Hell, what does he honestly know about immigration as an economist (the very thing he ran on it sounds like). I think my biggest issue in Congress is not that they aren't experts (they shouldn't be), but that they don't LISTEN to experts.

What I find funny, is that no matter dem or republican, the winner of this seat will be a Randolph-Macon College professor. Brat's opponent (Jack Trammell) is a professor of Sociology.

Flycoon 06-11-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaiverWire (Post 169439)
Governor Scott has signed the bill which will allow those without documentation to receive in-state tuition.

This was the right thing to do.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politic...mented/2183562

Blind hog....acorn....

Flycoon 06-11-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaiverWire (Post 169508)
Agent Orange claims have been being paid out for many years. I have a close friend that is getting this for about 7 years now.

He told me that his claim rep at the VA told him almost anyone can get this claim now. He gave an example that he, the claim rep, served on a ship that had dock in Nam. Because he stepped off the ship while being assigned to another ship, which then left Nam the same day, he was able to file a claim as he set
"boots on the ground". He also said that was the only time he was in Nam, which was about 5 hours total.

They learned a hard lesson on Agent Orange and are denying claims regarding the poisoned water source at Camp LeJune (sp) as it happened too long ago. Just like the private sector would.

Flycoon 06-11-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannybolt (Post 169547)
I don't know anything about the views of the guy who beat Cantor. However, he is an economics professor, which makes him more qualified to make decisions with economic ramifications than 99% of our elected representatives. We need more people in Washington who can understand the economic ramifications of their decisions; whether this guy is the right one, I have no idea. I do know that a Congressional body populated mostly by attorneys does a pretty bad job at rational and pragmatic economic policy.

Economics/ethics (odd combination) professor AND to the right of Cantor?

WaiverWire 06-11-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 169545)
Any Republican that takes 1 step to the middle runs the risk of getting whacked in a primary. Ask Cantor. Democrats can move to the center. Republicans can't join them there because of intraparty politics. That's the problem.

Not if the bills passed make sense and are really a move forward. Republicans would pick up a large section of the independent vote which could offset those on the far right that chose to stay home in a general election.

Some how, some way this wall blocking immigration reform, energy, education and economic issues has got to be smashed in order for the country to move forward.

Everyone has got to face the facts. Not everyone, or either side for that matter, will be happy with the outcome from one perspective or another. But it still has to be done.

I really do not think that the Cantor's loss was such a huge win for Brat. He now has to win in November for this to be a big issue. I think the Cantor loss was more about sending a message to Congress that those in Virginia are fed up and will not stand by and watch theses games being played by Congress. So they sent the first volley by ousting one of the bigger names. This could also happened across the aisle to any of them.

I do have one question about Virginia??? Is Virginia one of the States that allows a voter from any party, say democrat, to vote in a another party's election, say like a republican primary?

Only time will tell.

BurnTHalO 06-11-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaiverWire (Post 169568)
Not if the bills passed make sense and are really a move forward. Republicans would pick up a large section of the independent vote which could offset those on the far right that chose to stay home in a general election.

Some how, some way this wall blocking immigration reform, energy, education and economic issues has got to be smashed in order for the country to move forward.

Everyone has got to face the facts. Not everyone, or either side for that matter, will be happy with the outcome from one perspective or another. But it still has to be done.

I really do not think that the Cantor's loss was such a huge win for Brat. He now has to win in November for this to be a big issue. I think the Cantor loss was more about sending a message to Congress that those in Virginia are fed up and will not stand by and watch theses games being played by Congress. So they sent the first volley by ousting one of the bigger names. This could also happened across the aisle to any of them. It is a huge loss for Republicans because it shows you can not show the slightest inkling for being moderate if you want to win a primary, which aside from alienating 80% of the country, also means they will continue to keep any bills from passing.

I do have one question about Virginia??? Is Virginia one of the States that allows a voter from any party, say democrat, to vote in a another party's election, say like a republican primary?

Only time will tell.

I think you missed the point of what Pete was making. Sure, doing that would be fine in the general elections. The problem is the extremes are taking over the primaries, and this is proof that you have to go extreme right just to win your primary, leaving all of that middle for the dems when the actual election rolls around.

To answer your question, yes, they can. However, that did not impact Cantor:

Quote:

While Republican primary turnout spiked by 28 percent over 2012, according to the State Board of Elections, Cantor received nearly 8,500 fewer votes this year than he did in the 2012 Republican primary, a drop that was larger than Brat's 7,200-vote margin of victory. Regardless of how many Democrats turned out to oppose Cantor, he still would have prevailed had he maintained the same level of support as in his 2012 landslide.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...m-eric-cantor/

WaiverWire 06-11-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnTHalO (Post 169570)
I think you missed the point of what Pete was making. Sure, doing that would be fine in the general elections. The problem is the extremes are taking over the primaries, and this is proof that you have to go extreme right just to win your primary, leaving all of that middle for the dems when the actual election rolls around.

To answer your question, yes, they can. However, that did not impact Cantor:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...m-eric-cantor/

I didn't miss his point. Cantor was one election out of how many the tea party has lost?

Many are saying that Cantor lost because of the immigration issue. Brat kept pounding away that Cantor wanted to give those here "amnesty". That is so untrue. I do not think that I can name one politician that wants to give anayone "amnesty". Can you?

Brat took the definition of "amnesty" to a whole new level of meaning with a definition that is not even close to the definition.

timothy 06-11-2014 12:35 PM

Cantor lost because his constituency rightly sees him as blocker in Congress for getting things done. The polls in VA have folks overwhelmingly in favor for immigration reform, so that's not why he lost despite what the tea party winner might claim. He is the benefactor of a constituency fed up with the GOP doing nothing in Congress but stalemating any kind of progress.

WaiverWire 06-11-2014 12:47 PM

Don't know when this are but it is very refreshing. It is from the show "What Would You Do".

http://pulptastic.com/black-man-whit...em-barbershop/