BoltProspects Community Forums

BoltProspects Community Forums (http://boltprospects.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Room (http://boltprospects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   News of the Day II (http://boltprospects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10386)

Flycoon 09-12-2018 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannybolt (Post 232488)
Where do I sign?

All it's missing is a plank on enforcement of anti-trust legislation, military spending reform, reintroduction of Glass-Steagel and treatment of individual capital gains as earned income. Add those and you've got a bingo on your hands.

What I listed shouldn't be considered politically liberal positions BTW. They would encourage freer markets, increase governmental fiscal responsibility and reduce power concentration. All positions Republicans claim to support, but in practice do not.

Correct, these shouldn't be considered "liberal" policies but given the Trumpublican Party, they are. Im all in on these suggestions as well as Donnie's but would tweak his minimum wage to $15.

dannybolt 09-12-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flycoon (Post 232493)
Correct, these shouldn't be considered "liberal" policies but given the Trumpublican Party, they are. Im all in on these suggestions as well as Donnie's but would tweak his minimum wage to $15.

I like a $10 federal floor with states and better yet local municipalities raising from there, if needed.

While raising the minimum wage to $15 works in San Francisco and Seattle without creating too much adverse economic impact due to the amount of money sloshing around in those cities, the same can't be said for smaller cities like Chatanooga, TN or better yet, small towns like Starke, FL.

I feel the same about national gun laws. Writing laws that apply equally across the board isn't a great idea in a country that has as many areas with wildly different cultures and economics as the US does.

pete 09-12-2018 03:51 PM

Polling really poor for the GOP today...

5 of the last 6 Generic Ballot polls in the 538 database have Democrats winning by at least double digits. Democrats up to an 82.9% chance of winning the House in their Classic model, with an average gain of 39 seats.

In a bit of a shocker, the first round of polling in the NYT/Siena poll of Paul Ryan's district last night has the Democrat up by 2%. I'm skeptical that result holds for the next 1-2 nights of polling, but that's a damn ominous sign for the GOP that district is even close.

This NYT/Siena project is pretty cool, btw:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ons-polls.html

WaiverWire 09-12-2018 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie D (Post 232470)
Let me try and help WW. I would consider these middle of the road.

Eliminating the gun show loophole.
Allow the government to negotiate drug prices for Medicare
Eliminating the maximum cap on social security taxes
Increased funding for public schools
Raising Davis Bacon to $250,000
Moving towards a more progressive income tax
Investment in renewable energy
Increase the minimum wage to $10 an hour.

First off Donnie there has to be more done then just closing gun show loopholes. There needs to be a Federal Law that mandates all criminal convictions, all domestic violence injunctions and all orders dealing with the mentally ill be placed into a searchable data base to be used prior before any gun transaction is allowed. I have no problem with firearm restrictions or with States that want to place restrictions on firearms as long as you can still own a firearm.

I want Congress to address the rising cost of drug prices. Those in the USA should not have to pay any amount higher than what a drug company charges those outside the USA.

I have no problem with eliminating the SS cap.

Schools should get more money as long as they can prove what they currently are getting is not being wasted on school board salaries and the like.

Davis-Bacon Act was created in 1931. The figures in play today should remain. I would even be in favor of lowering them in order to allow more jobs to be bid.

Nothing wrong with a progressive tax structure. I also think that one should be able to file a tax return on a post card...…….sorry Fly

Renewable energy is a good thing.

I also feel that life starts with a heart beat, but I also respect the courts that have allowed women to have a choice which out way my feelings. It is not I that will end a life, but someday a woman may question why they did what they did.

We have talked about raising the minimum wage in the past. Like then, I do not think this should be legislative. Look no further than Disney and the contract that was just signed. Now I do believe that the time it will take for those to receive the $15 is far too long, but Disney had no choice but to offer this contract. This contract will not only effect Disney workers but Sea World and Universal. I would imagine that those in the hotel industry will also have to step up their employee benefits.

My daughter's employer, after having his accountant research his numbers from the tax bill that was signed, has put into place effective Oct 1 a plan to pay a monthly stipend to each employee, no matter if they are full or part time, $300 a month towards a United Healthcare policy. After his employees completed a survey for United, United was able to offer their top plan for $375 a month. Before the survey it was $465 a month.

That alone is like receiving a raise of $3600 a year...….and those are not crumbs. But it does not end there. Under the ACA she had a policy with Florida Blue. That policy cost her $480 a month. Her new policy is cheaper and her out of pocket cost are much cheaper. She will also have a wider ranger of doctors and hospitals that she can choose from. So she will now have a better policy. And the best part is instead of her having to pay $5760 a year for medical insurance she now only has to pay $900. That s a difference of $4860 a year.

Her employer has also been able to expand from 10 stores in Florida and is now opening #15 in southeast Florida next week, with plans to open more...….which means more jobs.

But then we have those employers like pete that claim this tax plan has saved him nothing and he has nothing to pass on to his employees.

pete 09-12-2018 05:43 PM

Captain Anecdote strikes again.

Recall, this is the same Captain Anecdote who claimed I was pocketing a corporate tax cut that S-Corporations like most small businesses like mine don't pay. Dimwit.

Meanwhile, just this week, the CBO released revenue estimates that show the US budget deficit will probably top 1 trillion by the end of FY 2019. Good job, champ.

WaiverWire 09-12-2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 232503)

Recall, this is the same Captain Anecdote who claimed I was pocketing a corporate tax cut that S-Corporations like most small businesses like mine don't pay. Dimwit.

Meanwhile, just this week, the CBO released revenue estimates that show the US budget deficit will probably top 1 trillion by the end of FY 2019. Good job, champ.

So what will you do with your extra income when you do file your taxes pete? You have to know that your taxes will be reduced as I find it hard that your accounted has not provided you with estimates like my wife's has done for her one member LLC.

One not taking the time to know what their tax consequence will be shows the fool you are. But then I bet your were on the side that a Trump win would cause the market to loose 1000 points, when in fact the very next day it went up by 1500 and has hit record highs.

pete 09-12-2018 06:05 PM

I already told you, genius, the tax benefit we received from the new law was incredibly modest and only by the grace of A&E firms being able to keep certain loopholes that other white collar companies didn't. And, all of those modest benefits may very well be undercut in a couple of months when we hit open enrollment by hikes to our health insurance plan cause by the GOP kicking the legs out from under ACA. We don't know what those hikes will be, but many small businesses are bracing for what they could be and we'll no doubt have to absorb a fair amount of those increases if they come Unlike retail firms that treat their employees like trash to the point that you want to pin a medal on one just for doing the minimum they should, morally, most white collar firms like mine provide and subsidize their employees' health care plans because it's a competitive minimum benefit you should and must provide.

And, keep ignoring the fact your moron pals raised the deficit $1T. Crumbs for us. Zillions for the Koch brothers.

WaiverWire 09-12-2018 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 232505)
I already told you, genius, the tax benefit we received from the new law was incredibly modest and only by the grace of A&E firms being able to keep certain loopholes that other white collar companies didn't. And, all of those modest benefits may very well be undercut in a couple of months when we hit open enrollment by hikes to our health insurance plan cause by the GOP kicking the legs out from under ACA. We don't know what those hikes will be, but many small businesses are bracing for what they could be and we'll no doubt have to absorb a fair amount of those increases if they come Unlike retail firms that treat their employees like trash to the point that you want to pin a medal on one just for doing the minimum they should, morally, most white collar firms like mine provide and subsidize their employees' health care plans because it's a competitive minimum benefit you should and must provide.

And, keep ignoring the fact your moron pals raised the deficit $1T. Crumbs for us. Zillions for the Koch brothers.

pete…….have you tried looking at insurance outside of the ACA for your employees? Like I posted my daughter's was $480 a month with Florida Blue. Her employer said with the changes made in the tax structure he can now afford to provide his employees with a plan better than what she had and he can also pay most of the cost. His business employees just over 50 employees, but is growing with new stores he can open.

United is offering several plans and he is allowing the employee to make the choice. Some of the plans are under the $300 stipend and he is allowing the employee to keep what they do not spend on insurance.

I know that you file as an S Corporation, which some would say is just a way to dodge taxes on how you distribute the earnings. As a sole proprietor LLC my wife claims every penny that is net after expenses and with the new structure she will be paying much less.

pete 09-12-2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

pete…….have you tried looking at insurance outside of the ACA for your employees?
We don't get our health care through the ACA. That's not the point. When the GOP kicked the legs out from under the ACA law they got rid of several regulations that should lead to an escalation in costs across the entire health care market. Small businesses like mine will start to feel that once open enrollment hits. I'm lucky my staff is mostly young and healthy, but at some point that luck is going to run out for me.

Quote:

I know that you file as an S Corporation, which some would say is just a way to dodge taxes
Well then "some" would be disparaging just about every small businessman in the United States. What an ignorant comment.

BurnTHalO 09-12-2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 232503)

Pretty sure we established a long time ago that he has no idea what anecdote means. For example, my health care has risen over $100 a month, and I have seen no increase in pay, nor bonuses. That means nobody has, right?