BoltProspects Community Forums

BoltProspects Community Forums (http://boltprospects.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Room (http://boltprospects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   News of the Day II (http://boltprospects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10386)

WaiverWire 05-07-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_narrow_way (Post 168266)
The only reason I suggested 30 is because that is a typical max hours for non-managerial staff now. 40 is fine by me.


Don't put words in my mouth. Who, anywhere, is asking for employers to pay employees for hours that they didn't work?


First 30 hours is not the norm for "non managerial" staff. It may be for entry level positions such as fast food, but in your everyday work place it is still 40 hours.

I did not put words in your mouth. Maybe you need to explain yourself better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
I think the minimum wage should be a sliding figure, based on what it would take for a single person working an average of a 30-hour work week to make enough annually to reach the official poverty line, with adjustments for inflation and cost-of-living. When a minimum wage worker doesn't even make enough to reach the poverty line, then something is clearly out of whack.
You are already saying the 30 hour work week is a given. Is that because the ACA uses the 30 hour to determine was is full time and what is part time? If so that definition is only for healthcare.

And yes I am for raising the minimum wage but only if it is based on a 40 hour work week.

the_narrow_way 05-07-2014 04:27 PM

In the retail and service industry world right now, many employers have cut back non-managerial types to under 30 hours. This was happening before the ACA kicked in.

I'm saying that somebody who works 30 or more hours per week should be making enough, gross, to reach the poverty line.

WaiverWire 05-07-2014 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_narrow_way (Post 168290)
In the retail and service industry world right now, many employers have cut back non-managerial types to under 30 hours. This was happening before the ACA kicked in.

I'm saying that somebody who works 30 or more hours per week should be making enough, gross, to reach the poverty line.

Question???

You say for the ACA kicked in. How many of the jobs were cut from 40 hours to 30 hours between the time the ACA was passed and became law and the time before it took effect?

Flycoon 05-07-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaiverWire (Post 168291)
Question???

You say for the ACA kicked in. How many of the jobs were cut from 40 hours to 30 hours between the time the ACA was passed and became law and the time before it took effect?

Wal Mart did it when Clinton was in office.

WaiverWire 05-07-2014 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flycoon (Post 168299)
Wal Mart did it when Clinton was in office.

Yeah but in the final quarter of 2013 they moved 35,000 of their part time workers to full time. But then I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart

Want to talk about poverty wages we have one of the largest employers in the State of Florida that pays a majority of their employees below poverty and that employer is Disney World.



http://www.fashiontimes.com/articles...imum-wages.htm

the_narrow_way 05-08-2014 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaiverWire (Post 168291)
You say for the ACA kicked in. How many of the jobs were cut from 40 hours to 30 hours between the time the ACA was passed and became law and the time before it took effect?

The sucky economy has been taking its toll for years. Many businesses, especially in retail and service, have had much lower total payroll for hourly employees for a long time now. The decision is either to outright lay-off people and keep a few at their old hours or see how many are willing to squabble over the pitiful available hours, leaving many with 10-30 hours. The ACA wasn't even an acronym yet when this stuff started. The ACA is not the devil so many are making it out to be. I've been working the shitty retail sector for years, and in construction, and the situation has been a free-fall going back a long time.

the_narrow_way 05-08-2014 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaiverWire (Post 168312)
Yeah but in the final quarter of 2013 they moved 35,000 of their part time workers to full time. But then I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart

And even at 'full-time', many are still not making enough to meet the poverty line. This has been part of Wal-Mart's business model for years. Pay the people a shitty wage and the government will pick up the slack. It's a fucking tragedy what they been allowed to do. They move in, ruin the local small businesses, absorb the employees, and pay them shitty wages.

BurnTHalO 05-08-2014 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaiverWire (Post 168312)
Yeah but in the final quarter of 2013 they moved 35,000 of their part time workers to full time. But then I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart

Want to talk about poverty wages we have one of the largest employers in the State of Florida that pays a majority of their employees below poverty and that employer is Disney World.



http://www.fashiontimes.com/articles...imum-wages.htm

Pretty funny article considering the people they interviewed were not employees of Disney. At any rate, the issue may be there why is housing $800/month, shouldn't there be something more affordable (though I do think the employees should get much more. End of the article talks about how that may raise to $10/hour). I've had some friends work as photographers there and loved it. The pay wasn't the best, but they got great perks (free entry to the park for themselves and their guests, etc.).

Flycoon 05-08-2014 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_narrow_way (Post 168316)
And even at 'full-time', many are still not making enough to meet the poverty line. This has been part of Wal-Mart's business model for years. Pay the people a shitty wage and the government will pick up the slack. It's a fucking tragedy what they been allowed to do. They move in, ruin the local small businesses, absorb the employees, and pay them shitty wages.

HR at Walmart instructs employees on how to get gubment benefits; primarily Medicaid and SNAP. But they need lower corporate tax rates.....

WaiverWire 05-08-2014 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flycoon (Post 168322)
HR at Walmart instructs employees on how to get gubment benefits; primarily Medicaid and SNAP. But they need lower corporate tax rates.....

And just what is Wal-Mart doing that is illegal? Your example is what is wrong with the system and why we need to demand changes.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2008, BoltProspects.com. All Rights Reserved.