BoltProspects Community Forums

BoltProspects Community Forums (http://boltprospects.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Room (http://boltprospects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   News of the Day II (http://boltprospects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10386)

WaiverWire 11-24-2014 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_narrow_way (Post 176100)
I have to give the jury the benefit of the doubt, but I'm reserving final judgment until the raw evidence is released and has a lot more independent scrutiny.

I think the prosecutor is doing an excellent job in laying out the facts, all the facts. It is too bad that more of the grand jury information can not be revealed. But then that is the grand jury and how it operates. They have to be secret in order to get to the truth from those in the community that are afraid to speak out.

ZeykShade 11-25-2014 07:48 AM

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/f...darren-wilson/

Quote:

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. attorneys prosecuted 162,000 federal cases in 2010, the most recent year for which we have data. Grand juries declined to return an indictment in 11 of them.
Of course, that article also points out that Prosecutors are often forced into bringing cases to the Grand Jury that they normally wouldn't when it's a high profile case.

During the press conference where McCulloch is going over the contrary eye-witness reports and all that shit I kept asking myself: "Wonder how many people he's put in jail based on unreliable eye-witness testimony?"

I guess Darren Wilson is luckier than a ham sandwich. Of course, the potentially indicted person typically doesn't get to spend hours testifying before the Grand Jury looking to possibly indict them...
This entire process was absurd. Grand Juries are for establishing probable cause, NOT for presenting all evidence as was done in this situation. Was setup to not get an indictment from the get go by Bob McCulloch. Realize that there is NO responsibility from the prosecutor's office to allow the Defense to present ANY evidence, much less the defendant to testify before a Grand Jury.

Good read: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...ngle_page=true

the_narrow_way 11-25-2014 08:43 AM

It sounds like Brown definitely was the aggressor, but, once Wilson left his vehicle to pursue Brown the situation was 'reset'. Unless they can really prove that Brown charged Wilson from close range then it was Wilson's responsibility to not fatally shoot Brown.

Can we stop training out local police to shoot to kill and ask questions later? With as cheap as stun guns/tazers are now, why the F isn't that the standard response to defuse a situation?

BurnTHalO 11-25-2014 09:37 AM

Every question being raised is legit. I think there is a good chance brown is not as innocent as many want to make him. That said, all the questions/contradictory evidence is something to be answered before a jury of his peers in a trial.

WaiverWire 11-25-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_narrow_way (Post 176122)
It sounds like Brown definitely was the aggressor, but, once Wilson left his vehicle to pursue Brown the situation was 'reset'. Unless they can really prove that Brown charged Wilson from close range then it was Wilson's responsibility to not fatally shoot Brown.

Can we stop training out local police to shoot to kill and ask questions later? With as cheap as stun guns/tazers are now, why the F isn't that the standard response to defuse a situation?

All very good questions NW. But first you have to understand that the situation has not "reset", it was a continuation of an event.

Wilson should had gotten out and gave chance and hoped that his back up arrived in time as he was already facing a man that was clearly stronger than him. Witnesses came forward, who lived in that area, and said that Brown stopped, raised his hands, but then chose to turn and run back towards Wilson. At no time when Brown had stopped did Wilson continue to advance according to these witnesses. Wilson said he fired 2 volleys at Brown who continued to run towards him. Then when Brown continued, and Wilson thought that his life would be in danger if Brown continued, he aimed and fired a third round of volleys that struck and killed Brown. Wilson said that Brown dropped approximately 8 feet from him. Remember that Wilson had just had a confrontation with Brown in his patrol car and he described Brown as Hulk Hogan and he, Wilson, a 5 year old. I can see why Wilson fired, and I believe almost anyone else would had fired.

As for the taser, they are a great tool in our arsenal. However with someone running at you from 8-12 feet away they are useless. You might as well throw the thing at them. First there is no guarantee that you will hit the subject with both probes. Without both probes inserted in the body the electricity does not have a closed circuit. Without a closed circuit you will not have a take down. Thus it is far to late to do anything but engage in a fist fight as even from 20 feet a person in a full run can get to you before you can draw your weapon.

And now my 2 cents on why they released the findings so late. I can not believe the media on this issue. It seems that they would rather have the findings released while who have rush hour traffic and the public still out and about on a major holiday just days away. They do not want you to take into account that there were fliers being released all over the country advertising protests in major cities like LA where it was released at 6pm their time.

Knowing that there will be protest, peaceful or non peaceful, it is the duty and responsibility of law enforcement to protect the citizens they serve. By releasing the findings as they did they ensured that a majority of their citizens would be save at home or within their work place.

PS....having had many hours of training with a taser I can tell you that a taser is not like a firearm. When you pull that trigger you have no idea where the probes are going. One would be very surprised as to how inaccurate they really are.

ZeykShade 11-25-2014 11:24 AM

They released the findings late because the school board asked them to. They wanted to make sure that all of the students were home and safe instead of having to travel home during a potential riot.

WaiverWire 11-25-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeykShade (Post 176127)
They released the findings late because the school board asked them to. They wanted to make sure that all of the students were home and safe instead of having to travel home during a potential riot.

yup and the streets would be less congested.

If the preparation facts are ever released I am sure that we will learn that law enforcement had advanced warnings, knowledge, that no matter what the grand jury findings were, there would be destruction.

I think those in Ferguson should take note that many other major cities had very peaceful and successful protests without the burning, looting or shots being fired.

Having been at all major areas within the RNC in Tampa I was amazed how calm it was. It was great seeing that law enforcement was sharing their food and water with the protesters and making sure they were kept safe while at the same time having a stage to air their views.

Found this at CNN just now.

Quote:

But there may have been advantages in keeping the decision secret for hours -- most businesses are closed and there's less traffic.
Now keep in mind that the police were to get a 48 hour notice. That did not happen. But in all honesty I would rather be out there in the dark as I would have fewer citizens to worry about. If citizens got caught in the crowds of protestors and things turned bad the police would have to act with more force, which could result in more violence. There just is not a win win situation.

Quote:

But there may have been advantages in keeping the decision secret for hours -- most businesses are closed and there's less traffic.

WaiverWire 11-25-2014 06:45 PM

It was asked why not use the taser or something to that effect. Wilson has said he does not carry a taser as they are not mandatory. He said they are big and take up a lot of space on the duty belt, which I agree with.

ChaseSpace 11-26-2014 12:24 AM

Anonymous is now wading in to the fray. Claim the KKK are connected to the Furgeson PD and to the officer in question.

the_narrow_way 11-26-2014 01:58 AM

If that's provable, then there is actually a Federal case in play.